• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How easy

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How easy/hard is it for you to let go of your personal belongings?
The things you have bought over the years, would you be able to sell it all and be just as happy as you was before? or are you really attached to your stuff?

Altfish

Veteran Member
The things you have bought over the years, would you be able to sell it all and be just as happy as you was before? or are you really attached to your stuff?
It depends. some things of minimal value are very important to me; by contrast things of much more monetary worth mean little to me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's easy for me, but I do know pack rats. I'm like my father, he loved in a one bedroom house for 10 years at the end. We easily moved his entire collection of things to the local Goodwill, in the back seat of my car. Clothes, utensils, everything. I have nothing at all that I'm attached to. It's just stuff. You can't take it with you.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
It's easy for me, but I do know pack rats. I'm like my father, he loved in a one bedroom house for 10 years at the end. We easily moved his entire collection of things to the local Goodwill, in the back seat of my car. Clothes, utensils, everything. I have nothing at all that I'm attached to. It's just stuff. You can't take it with you.
I'm largely like that too and to think my mom selected her most non-materialistic kid to sort through her affairs upon her death is an interesting choice. So far, I've begun weekly pilgrimages to the local recycle centre. They must like the quality of stuff I am taking them because I've noticed they greet me by name and often come out to see what I am bringing today. I love it because I am not just throwing things in the garbage.

In regards to the OP on attachment. I'm not big on attachment to begin with, and as long as you keep things in perspective, there is no reason why you cannot have objects of significance around you. So far, I'm saving anything I remember from my early childhood (There isn't much, really, as it was 60+ years ago now.)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

“When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.” - Lao-Tzu

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm largely like that too and to think my mom selected her most non-materialistic kid to sort through her affairs upon her death is an interesting choice. So far, I've begun weekly pilgrimages to the local recycle centre. They must like the quality of stuff I am taking them because I've noticed they greet me by name and often come out to see what I am bringing today. I love it because I am not just throwing things in the garbage.

In regards to the OP on attachment. I'm not big on attachment to begin with, and as long as you keep things in perspective, there is no reason why you cannot have objects of significance around you. So far, I'm saving anything I remember from my early childhood (There isn't much, really, as it was 60+ years ago now.)

Your Mom made a wise choice. I have a cousin who not only has her own stuff, but also her mother's. It's all in boxes, taking up space. They kept everything, and the mother was a picture taker, and movie (reel to reel) maker.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I have never been materialistic, even as a kid. As one who did lots of camping with tents and then a barely furnished pop-up camper, we learned to survive for a few weeks on very little, even without even a t.v., a radio, or even newspapers.

However, take me to a bookstore and watch me be like a pig in the mud.

A Vestigial Mote

It probably makes me a weirdo - but almost nothing material I own is of any grand/permanent value to me. Those that are have sentimental value. The things I keep in my sock drawer - which include some high-quality prints/cuts of tarot cards my daughter and I designed/made together, some simple construction-paper "books" I made with my kids that have these ridiculously simple and humorous stories and illustrations in them, and drawings I did with my son when he was really young, where I had him draw a character or creature, and then I did my best to reproduce it in a more mature style of drawing.

As for the "stuff" I've bought - none of it really means anything, and I wouldn't be upset to lose any of it. I remember we had a garage fire at one point. It was certainly a shame that we had lost anything, but not even the loss of my workshop inside that had a couple of awesome pieces I had been working on made me flinch. I just shrugged my shoulders and moved on. Incredibly easy.

Audie

Veteran Member

Attached to "stuff" no. Certain items, of sentimental
value, of course I'd like to keep.

I have some really nice things, expensive, but
I could replace them easily, and I am not attached
to them.

I got to "peak stuff" far short of what it takes to
please others.

In the event, my sense of myself is not in what
I own.

What is meant by "happy: of course, may be
at issue here.

I wont be happy to go to an upscale event with
a Coach bag, say. That is when a Chanel mini
comes in handy.

Other than that, I am pretty indifferent.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Some stuff I'm attached to but most not very much. I used to be very attached to books but a while ago I realized that had mostly passed and well over 1/2 of my books went. So it's a bit selective.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

I don't have stuff with sentimental value except maybe 5 fotographs when I was in India. I remember my 20 years up and down travelling to India. I just had 1 backpack when I was in India. And that felt great. Last 10 years living in 1 house in Holland I accumulated more than I enjoy. I have been thinking a few times to reduce it to 1 backpack and 1 bed again. But not managed to do that yet.

Less is More.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There was a time when I was very attached to my personal belongings, but nowadays nowhere near what it was. I prefer to downscale and downsize to make life simple. Life isn't about inanimate objects.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My house was robbed once. It was a l...o....n...g time ago. It was even before I knew Jesus. But, I was calm. Sometimes, I think, I might be too calm.