• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does your view explain how the earth appears made for life?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That appearance, that the earth was made for life, is an illusion. Life shaped itself to the conditions on earth. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any.
But illusions can be very strong, given the weaknesses of human perception. Like how people generally perceived creation as a large lumpy plain, surrounded by water, overtopped by a blue dome, with a comparatively small sun scooting daily in between, for most of human history.
Tom

whirlingmerc

That appearance, that the earth was made for life, is an illusion. Life shaped itself to the conditions on earth. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any.
But illusions can be very strong, given the weaknesses of human perception. Like how people generally perceived creation as a large lumpy plain, surrounded by water, overtopped by a blue dome, with a comparatively small sun scooting daily in between, for most of human history.
Tom

Or for example the moon is non magnetic while earth being magnetic and necessary for life. A magnetic moon would cause eddy currents and other difficulties and the best situation for life here is a large non magnetic moon.

The earth being magnetic is a safeguard against radiation and also keeps our atmosphere from being blown away by solar winds

It's just like it was planned!!

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
For example as Nasa discovered in 2015, the Sahara sends phosphorus to the Amazon rain forest which provides for life

Saharan Dust Feeds Amazon’s Plants
That dust from Africa brings nutrients to the Amazon basin has been known for several decades...

and the heavy rains in the Amazon leaches the nutrients from Africa out of the soil and carries it to the Atlantic Ocean...

Lots and lots of interrelated and interlocked cycles...

whirlingmerc

We have noticed you do drive- by posts.

Why should anyone address this, when you
are not about to respond to anything?

Next time you drive by a view of the rain forest or the moon take time
to take in the wonder!

There is a rain forest cafe in northern Jersey.... that should suffice.

whirlingmerc

That dust from Africa brings nutrients to the Amazon basin has been known for several decades...

and the heavy rains in the Amazon leaches the nutrients from Africa out of the soil and carries it to the Atlantic Ocean...

Lots and lots of interrelated and interlocked cycles...

However it's been quantified by NASA in its 2015 paper

For the first time, a NASA satellite has quantified in three dimensions how much dust makes this trans-Atlantic journey

There is also a correlation where if the sahara is wetter then there is less dust and the rain forest grows less

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
to answer your question: my view is that Earth appears 'made for life' because life has evolved here, and adapted to the conditions here.

dianaiad

Because if it wasn't there wouldn't be any life - simples really.

Except of course there is life at the most extreme edges...in places WE could not live. Life exists in places where nothing else can live. I think that's why they are called 'extremophiles,' come to think.

(shrug) I think, personally, that 'life finds a way." (Jeff Goldblum, playing Ian Malcome, in "jurassic Park).

Or, if you want to look at it differently, THAT'S how God did it!

Wow.

I rather imagine that He has done it all over the place. Or at least, He has stayed out of the way so it can 'do itself."

.............and I'll bet you anything (and, y'know, Latter-day saints don't gamble) that life exists all over the universe. Perhaps not life that can talk back to us...at least, not at the moment, but hey: we have life in the very hot ponds in Yellowstone, the extremely acidic ponds (as in, battery acid isn't quite as bad) elsewhere, and the sheer prolific nature of life at the bottom of the ocean hanging around those fumerols (and the bacteria in the polar ice), then I don't imagine that finding life anywhere else would be problematic, impossible...or even unusual.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Or for example the moon is non magnetic while earth being magnetic and necessary for life. A magnetic moon would cause eddy currents and other difficulties and the best situation for life here is a large non magnetic moon.

The earth being magnetic is a safeguard against radiation and also keeps our atmosphere from being blown away by solar winds

Have you not seen the tides? No magnetism required, just gravity

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
However it's been quantified by NASA in its 2015 paper

For the first time, a NASA satellite has quantified in three dimensions how much dust makes this trans-Atlantic journey

There is also a correlation where if the sahara is wetter then there is less dust and the rain forest grows less

Any planet with an atmosphere has weather

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Not sure where you get the idea that magnetism of the moon would be a problem for life on earth...don't think I've ever heard that advanced as impacting life on earth...

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn

In other words, life evolved adaptations to the conditions on earth. It's not the other way around.

Take a look at a long river. They generally start up in some mountains and flow to the sea.
Up in the highlands, chunks of broken rock fall into the river. They're irregular and jagged and rough. By the time they get washed down towards the sea they're rounded and smooth. The river didn't decide to make smooth round river rocks. Smooth round stones is an emergent property of rocks spending centuries grinding against each other and being abraded by river silt and sand. Lots of things in reality look designed to us, because we design and craft things. But they aren't, they're emergent properties of mindless processes.
Life is like that, even though we aren't very capable of seeing beyond our illusions.
Tom