• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does your religion help you be happy?

Jumi

Confucius said to Yan Hui, 'Come here, Hui. Your family is poor, and your position is low; why should you not take office?' Hui replied, 'I have no wish to be in office. Outside the suburban district I possess fields to the extent of fifty acres, which are sufficient to supply me with congee; and inside it I have ten acres, which are sufficient to supply me with silk and flax. I find my pleasure in playing on my lute, and your doctrines, Master, which I study, are sufficient for my enjoyment; I do not wish to take office.' Confucius looked sad, changed countenance, and said, "How good is the mind of Hui! I have heard that he who is contented will not entangle himself with the pursuit of gain, that he who is conscious of having gained (the truth) in himself is not afraid of losing other things, and that he who cultivates the path of inward rectification is not ashamed though he may have no official position. I have long been preaching this; but to-day I see it realised in Hui: this is what I have gained.'

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
As i believe in a Supreme Being, i believe that the universe is very much alive and undergoes periods of transformation; creation, preservation and destruction. In the grand scheme of things, this puts me at ease as reality will never cease to exist, but will always continue. :)

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
View attachment 22466

Eccesiastes how to be happy

Ecclesiastes 7:2
Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made glad.

Your religion teaches you that sorrow is the path to happiness? I'd say that's the wrong direction.

One way that my worldview helps me achieve happiness is by offering a better path to it than seeking sorrow. The path to happiness involves personal integrity, being useful (sense of purpose), kindness to others, and quenching desire.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
One of my Guru's more often quotes ... "Life is meant to be lived joyously."
Being content with what you have, camaraderie with like minded people, sense of humour, affectionate detachment, appreciation of the small things ... all of this leads to a general happiness.

But the real story is at willpower, and the use of it to move awareness. Awareness bounces around like some ping pong ball. Once will is established over it, it can be moved to the happy, contented, joyous areas of mind. There is no need whatsoever for it to go to the darker, lower emotion areas. Many folks don't realise that, with some practice, awareness can be moved at will.

Audie

Veteran Member
Your religion teaches you that sorrow is the path to happiness? I'd say that's the wrong direction.

One way that my worldview helps me achieve happiness is by offering a better path to it than seeking sorrow. The path to happiness involves personal integrity, being useful (sense of purpose), kindness to others, and quenching desire.

The trick of appealing to the lowest rungs of society
was key to the rapid spread of christianity.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The trick of appealing to the lowest rungs of society
was key to the rapid spread of christianity.
That’s true. Christianity always flourishes on the fringes — it always has. That’s because Xy is meant to set one free from the constraints of a violent system; it is not meant to be an agent of that system. Therefore, it offers hope to the least among us.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
One way my religion creates happiness is by fostering a sense of unity between people, people and world, humanity and Divine.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I think that maybe that is what Ecclesiastes 7:2-3 actually was meant to convey.

Ditch the parties and learn through your suffering (of being rejected).

It is good for the physical body to work through the tribulation. It is bad for the physical body to ignore the trouble with partying. Have you never heard that crying is for stress release?

Audie

Veteran Member
That’s true. Christianity always flourishes on the fringes — it always has. That’s because Xy is meant to set one free from the constraints of a violent system; it is not meant to be an agent of that system. Therefore, it offers hope to the least among us.

Well, I guess I was spreading news of the obvious.
It is not by any means a negative.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I actually never thought about happiness until I heard this

View attachment 22466

Sorrow is better than laughter: for by the sadness of the countenance the heart is made glad.

Art helps me reflect and center myself. Sometimes reflect a bit too much. I can reflect more on death through my art and taking advice from The Dharma as well.

32. "And how, monks, is that monk one who has filled the moat? Herein the monk has abandoned the round of rebirths, leading to renewed existence; he has cut it off at the root, removed it from its soil like a palmyra tree, brought it to utter extinction, incapable of arising again. MN 22 Alagaddupama Sutta

Death, final and no afterlife, is wisdom. It helps me prioritize. As long as I stay attached to my mental suffering, Id never get to that point of non-existence. That, and be comfortable with setting up everything for my family to be less burdened when I die. Im not that old, but its too late to comtemplate it. Especially after my surgery recently. Having anethesia puts life into another view: when consciousness is gone, lights out.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My "religion", if you want to call it that, doesn't try to force me to believe that which I can't believe in.

See my "Faith Statement" at the bottom of my posts for clarification.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

My religion teaches me that I am eternal consciousness and that my true nature is just sat-cit-Ananda (being-awareness-bliss). It allows for living in love and joy with detachment from the temporary ups/downs of physical life.

That is how my religion helps me to be happy.

Reactions: Liu

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
18 jun 2018 stvdv 011 67

Devotion makes me happy
Advaita makes me happy
Silence makes me happy

So every year I visit:

3 days Amma in Holland = 3 days happy
2 days Mother Meera in Holland = 2 days happy

So I still have 360 days "to gladden the heart":D

Last edited:
Reactions: Liu

Liu

Devotion makes me happy
Advaita makes me happy
Silence makes me happy

I almost could subscribe to that (not sure about the last point, though).

Devotion and equating the self with the divine are huge aspects of my approach to spirituality.
Devotion is in and of itself very enjoyable, at least if one is into it.
Auto-theism has several benefits:
It allows for living in love and joy with detachment from the temporary ups/downs of physical life.
It gives me a set of metaphysics that makes sense to me and that is not in contradiction to science.
It leads me to search for strength not only outside but also inside of myself.

Other ways in which my religion is making me happy:

It encourages me to work on self-improvement, thereby supporting me in improving my situation.

It encourages me to find out what I truly want instead of following every whim, while at the same time not condemning me for whichever decision I take.

It gives me the sense of belonging to a religious tradition, from which I can draw, and community, which I can ask for support, but without much of the drama and dogma that tends to come with that.

View attachment 22466

Not judging, but that sounds like either masochism or sadism, depending on whether the countenance in question is one's own or another one's :D

GoodbyeDave

The maxims inscribed on the wall at Delphi included:
Worship the gods.
Know yourself.
As a child be well-behaved; in youth, self-disciplined; as an adult, just; in old age, sensible; at the end, without sorrow.

I can't offer any guarantee, but that sounds like a good recipe for a happy life.

arthra

Baha'i

Being a Baha'i I find we avoid partisanship and polarizing debates. We focus more on ways to get along better with each other and enjoy others company. Here are some excerpts from Baha'i sources:

"And the honor and distinction of the individual consist in this, that he among all the world’s multitudes should become a source of social good. Is any larger bounty conceivable than this, that an individual, looking within himself, should find that by the confirming grace of God he has become the cause of peace and well-being, of happiness and advantage to his fellow men? No, by the one true God, there is no greater bliss, no more complete delight..?"

~ ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, The Secret of Divine Civilization, p. 2

Abdul-Baha recommends:

"To the orphans be ye kind fathers, and to the unfortunate a refuge and shelter. To the poor be a treasure of wealth, and to the sick a remedy and healing. Be a helper of every 217 oppressed one, the protector of every destitute one, be ye ever mindful to serve any soul of mankind. Attach no importance to self-seeking, rejection, arrogance, oppression and enmity. Heed them not. Deal in the contrary way. Be kind in truth, not only in appearance and outwardly. Every soul of the friends of God must concentrate his mind on this, that he may manifest the mercy of God and the bounty of the Forgiving One. He must do good to every soul whom he encounters, and render benefit to him, becoming the cause of improving the morals and correcting the thoughts so that the light of guidance may shine forth and the bounty of His Holiness the Merciful One may encompass. Love is light in whatsoever house it may shine and enmity is darkness in whatsoever abode it dwell."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - p. 216

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
19 jun 2018 stvdv 011 85
the heart is made glad

The best way to make "all happy" is to NOT judge each others' feelings in regards to belief = mutual real respect

The moment one implies "my religion/master is higher/better than yours; my way is the highway" tension and irritation starts

My favorite teaching is "All religions [including atheism and humanism ++] are equally valid and good to use to find the truth"

This teaching "gladdens my heart". This I knew from age 10 telling my mother "Jesus can never be the only way; that is rude to say also"

I don't see other religions backing up this very clear and "happy making" statement unfortunately; there is always a sneaky "catch"

Most creative trick was "We respect all religions .................. but finally they have to accept ours, being the last true ........etc".

I do not believe in 1 truth for all. All personal truths added together comes closer to the truth; this much I can believe.

whirlingmerc

There is a superficial happiness that doesn't last and a sorrowful joy that in the long run produces a lasting joy.

Jesus endured the cross for the joy set before Him says the book of Hebrews