• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does your religion address the problem of evil?

arcanum

I don't have to convince anyone here that this is a very often cruel and imperfect world, and I've yet to find a conventional religious answer that properly address the issue that I can rest with, except one. So why would a good god created such a world filled with suffering, viciousness, and cruelty? I think the Lurianic Kabbalah( Issac Luria's particular take on the Kabbalah) has a pretty solid answer for this, one that seems perfectly plausible. Basically evil and imperfection are systemic due to a flaw in the creation process itself and as a result it's remains a world in need of repair. It's very complex and takes a while to grapple with some of these ideas, I certainly couldn't do justice to them but here is a good article which I believe presents it very astutely. Definitely worth the read and ponder.
THE KABBALAH’S REMARKABLE IDEA

Last edited:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I think sin is a direct result of God's giving us freewill to make our own decisions. We are all less than perfect, and sin in essence is making mistakes, if we were perfect and didn't make mistakes we wouldn't sin. I'm not sure if I'm right but that is my guess.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I'll give my two-cents from the non-dual (God and creation are not-two) perspective.

I look at life from the perspective that life is eternal and we are in the process of learning that; and yes, even these temporary evils are part of that process. We live as individuals for eons and not one life. We all return to godhead in the end. If one could see one's life from separation from godhead through the eons to return to godhead then things and temporary sufferings make more sense. What we see as evil are very short temporary events in the grand scheme of things where each individual story ends in success; return to peace/bliss/awareness of godhead.

Plus Problem of Evil proponents look at good/bad events as happening randomly to people. Eastern thinkers believe a long series of cause/events (karma) causes things to be the way they are.

I also use the analogy of creation as some grand expansive multi-dimensional artwork. And human problem of evil proponents view from their little speck and dimensional perspective of the artwork and try to judge the entire artwork. Their view is too limited to be meaningful.

arcanum

I'll give my two-cents from the non-dual (God and creation are not-two) perspective.

I look at life from the perspective that life is eternal and we are in the process of learning that; and yes, even these temporary evils are part of that process. We live as individuals for eons and not one life. We all return to godhead in the end. If one could see one's life from separation from godhead through the eons to return to godhead then things and temporary sufferings make more sense. What we see as evil are very short temporary events in the grand scheme of things where each individual story ends in success; return to peace/bliss/awareness of godhead.

Plus Problem of Evil proponents look at good/bad events as happening randomly to people. Eastern thinkers believe a long series of cause/events (karma) causes things to be the way they are.

I also use the analogy of creation as some grand expansive multi-dimensional artwork. And human problem of evil proponents view from their little speck and dimensional perspective of the artwork and try to judge the entire artwork. Their view is too limited to be meaningful.
Though Advaita has some interesting insights I think it takes the idea on non dualism to an extreme that doesn't quite line up with reality, imho. Now from my own perspective I look it all, from the micro to the macro and an endless struggle between order vs chaos in any given system. We see this on the micro level within organisms and our own bodies, radical harmful bacteria trying to attack the health and homeostasis within living organisms, we see this on the earth itself with natural disasters constantly attacking the equanimity of the planet, we see this happening in space as well. We also see it on the social level in our relationships with other people and in society at large and globally with one group against another and all the problems that issue from those conflicts. There is a constant war of order vs chaos on every conceivable level, having said that I have a hard time saying all is one, perhaps I could say all is one big mess with better ease. There is some force at work that is sowing discord on every level, what is this force and why is it there?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
From a more strict non-dualist view that I hold, There is no God/Gods/goddesses to conduct the affairs of the world. And what happens in the world is only an illusion. Like in a dream we see so many things happening. No one who can be held responsible for it. At a lower level of reality, the world and the humans exist. At that level, for peaceful conduct of the society, appropriate social action is needed, and that is what we term as 'dharma'. So it is obligatory for humans to go by 'dharma'.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I think the force you are talking about is called by many evil, satan, etc Fortunately evil is something I try not to learn too much about but I'm sure you might find some "experts" ready to talk about it!! Actually I might recommend it better to learn about Good than evil. In my understanding evil will not last forever, and Good will grow stronger with time.

arcanum

I think the force you are talking about is called by many evil, satan, etc Fortunately evil is something I try not to learn too much about but I'm sure you might find some "experts" ready to talk about it!! Actually I might recommend it better to learn about Good than evil. In my understanding evil will not last forever, and Good will grow stronger with time.
I know the stock answer, I was raised to believe that evil came only from Satan. But that never quite sat too well with me as I got older and started pondering these questions. Like how could an all powerful, all knowing god create such a being without knowing how it would turn out and why did god give him so much power? The typical rhetoric of free will is an unsatisfactory answer to me. An often neglected or apologetically explained away passage by Christians is in Isiah 45:7,"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." According to some kabbalistic schools god is both good and evil, that god has a dark side. It is though god has a conscious side that is indeed good but an unconscious or shadow side as well which is where evil comes from( a very Jungian interpretation). This is of course a very radical idea but it kind of makes sense more sense than saying god is all good, especially if you read about all the atrocities god does and commands his people to do in the accounts of the old testament.

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
"How does your religion address the problem of evil?"

By teaching what is in the Christian Bible concerning errors committed against
Biblical Law, God, other people, etc.
The Bible provides an excellent moral code & how to deal with other humans, and ones own emotions.
The Bible contains a set of standards for human conduct ranging in content from how to treat live stock and children as well as advice on saving money, and how to operate as an idividual and part of a society.
It is quite simply put the "owners manual" for humans.
All of our ( U.S.A.) law is based on english Common Law, which is based on the Christian Bible.
Really the question seems sophomoric to me as the answers are so basic that they seem almost intrinsic to human nature.
All of the Hebrew 613 commandments are beneficial of one could memorize the all.

Lyndon

Premium Member
I know the stock answer, I was raised to believe that evil came only from Satan. But that never quite sat too well with me as I got older and started pondering these questions. Like how could an all powerful, all knowing god create such a being without knowing how it would turn out and why did god give him so much power? The typical rhetoric of free will is an unsatisfactory answer to me. An often neglected or apologetically explained away passage by Christians is in Isiah 45:7,"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things." According to some kabbalistic schools god is both good and evil, that god has a dark side. It is though god has a conscious side that is indeed good but an unconscious or shadow side as well which is where evil comes from( a very Jungian interpretation). This is of course a very radical idea but it kind of makes sense more sense than saying god is all good, especially if you read about all the atrocities god does and commands his people to do in the accounts of the old testament.

Is see there being two sides to GOD also, one Male, one Female, I much prefer the Female side, but I would not consider the Male side evil, perhaps less forgiving and more aggressive, or something like that.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
There is no addressing of evil. Such is viewed as the conditions and processes by which remains as normal and natural as anything that interacts in life. It's not regarded as a problem that needs addressing with labeling and classification, yet rather provides acknowledgments as to the experiences and sensations regarding things hurtful and unpleasant of which are subject to the same qualities and conditions as anything else by which we endure such things.

arcanum

There is no addressing of evil. Such is viewed as the conditions and processes by which remains as normal and natural as anything that interacts in life. It's not regarded as a problem that needs addressing with labeling and classification, yet rather provides acknowledgments as to the experiences and sensations regarding things hurtful and unpleasant of which are subject to the same qualities and conditions as anything else by which we endure such things.
I just don't see the world as a Buddhist does. Those kinds of sentiments are fine if you live in a monastery or when everything is rosy or at least status quo, but if something really really bad happens to some one close to you or you have to witness extreme atrocities, can you still be so aloof about the absolute reality of evil? Make no mistake there are some evil people in the world who do very evil things, at least by proper human standards. If everybody had such a nonchalant view of reality as you and just let things be as they will be and not address it, then evil unchecked would fester like a disease and there would be unspeakable acts committed on an enormous scale. It must be fought against or it would take over. Evil may not be a popular word to use anymore but I believe it does seem to have an absolute reality. Maybe call it chaos if you prefer but it is essentially a force which seeks to disturb, to sow discord to cause suffering and to usurp order.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
There is no problem of evil for us atheists, and nor is there a problem for us cosmolaters, idolaters, numerolaters or epeolaters. All is as it is to us and no god can redeem or save mankind when such alleged gods are destined to be of inferior thought. Inferiors conceptions create unnecessary worries. The problem of evil is not even a problem because the reason for the problem is the problem itself.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I just don't see the world as a Buddhist does. Those kinds of sentiments are fine if you live in a monastery or when everything is rosy or at least status quo, but if something really really bad happens to some one close to you or you have to witness extreme atrocities, can you still be so aloof about the absolute reality of evil? Make no mistake there are some evil people in the world who do very evil things, at least by proper human standards. If everybody had such a nonchalant view of reality as you and just let things be as they will be and not address it, then evil unchecked would fester like a disease and there would be unspeakable acts committed on an enormous scale. It must be fought against or it would take over. Evil may not be a popular word to use anymore but I believe it does seem to have an absolute reality. Maybe call it chaos if you prefer but it is essentially a force which seeks to disturb, to sow discord to cause suffering and to usurp order.
To place it as simply as possible, things like "evil" are really nothing that can be excised or "cured"away by which such is a fact of life and natural as enduring and dealing with natural disasters.

It's actually an acknowledgment and acceptance in regards to an aspect of life and living which is as intertwined and integral as things that are cherished and pleasant.

It isn't that there is an insensitivity present in face of the human condition, but rather something that is accepted unconditionally without magnifying or diminishing whatever faces us directly in various intensity, yet in dealing with issues, direct unbiased acknowledgments and acceptance provides a venue by which it's experienced, so that it's impact does not create unrealistic scenarios and expectations that protract and prolong further by which may lead to further complications and suffering than warranted.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Though Advaita has some interesting insights I think it takes the idea on non dualism to an extreme that doesn't quite line up with reality, imho. Now from my own perspective I look it all, from the micro to the macro and an endless struggle between order vs chaos in any given system. We see this on the micro level within organisms and our own bodies, radical harmful bacteria trying to attack the health and homeostasis within living organisms, we see this on the earth itself with natural disasters constantly attacking the equanimity of the planet, we see this happening in space as well. We also see it on the social level in our relationships with other people and in society at large and globally with one group against another and all the problems that issue from those conflicts. There is a constant war of order vs chaos on every conceivable level, having said that I have a hard time saying all is one, perhaps I could say all is one big mess with better ease. There is some force at work that is sowing discord on every level, what is this force and why is it there?
I can see and have no real problem with your view.

In Advaita thinking all that drama you talk about is in the divine play/drama of the Lord. A play that ends in Oneness.

Lyndon

Premium Member
To place it as simply as possible, things like "evil" are really nothing that can be excised or "cured"away by which such is a fact of life and natural as enduring and dealing with natural disasters.

It's actually an acknowledgment and acceptance in regards to an aspect of life and living which is as intertwined and integral as things that are cherished and pleasant.

It isn't that there is an insensitivity present in face of the human condition, but rather something that is accepted unconditionally without magnifying or diminishing whatever faces us directly in various intensity, yet in dealing with issues, direct unbiased acknowledgments and acceptance provides a venue by which it's experienced, so that it's impact does not create unrealistic scenarios and expectations that protract and prolong further by which may lead to further complications and suffering than warranted.

Your "kick back" approach to not fighting evil, is like a country being struck by a devastating Hurricane, and the people deciding to do nothing to help the survivors.

Lyndon

Premium Member
So God screwed things up?

Think of it this way on earth alone, If God is 99.99% Perfect, that's still millions of mistakes, even God is evolving I would think, problem with man is right now they are devolving away from God, as a buddhist you should know well that things are not getting better in your faith, we are in a period of decline, its time we all try to reverse that trend.

arcanum

I can see and have no real problem with your view.

In Advaita thinking all that drama you talk about is in the divine play/drama of the Lord. A play that ends in Oneness.
You'll have no disagreement with me there, that ultimately it both ends and begins in oneness. But from the oneness god enters into duality and from there into extreme multiplicity, but the end result is god in all it's forms shedding it's skin and reuniting back to itself in oneness, back to a state of equanimity.I picture a bunch of firefly's gathering around and plunging into a huge sort of celestial lamp, all these tiny lights all merging back into the one great light.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I don't have to convince anyone here that this is a very often cruel and imperfect world, and I've yet to find a conventional religious answer that properly address the issue that I can rest with, except one. So why would a good god created such a world filled with suffering, viciousness, and cruelty? I think the Lurianic Kabbalah( Issac Luria's particular take on the Kabbalah) has a pretty solid answer for this, one that seems perfectly plausible. Basically evil and imperfection are systemic due to a flaw in the creation process itself and as a result it's remains a world in need of repair. It's very complex and takes a while to grapple with some of these ideas, I certainly couldn't do justice to them but here is a good article which I believe presents it very astutely. Definitely worth the read and ponder.
THE KABBALAH’S REMARKABLE IDEA

IMO, the Gods didn't create evil. People are naturally judgmental, territorial, and tribal. This creates many of the "evils" we see today. It is a direct result of man's inability to "live and let live," and a complete lack of empathy for those that are not part of the "group," in whatever from that may take.

So why did the Gods create Evil? They didn't. We just perpetuate Evil acts, as a result of being selfish.