• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Does the Existence of God Negate Darwinian Evolution?

Skywalker

Oh my! If you understood that verse, especially the Hebrew that it was based on, you would see that is a claim that the Earth is a flat circle. Please note it does not say nor even imply that the Earth is a sphere. The word used for "circle" is that of an inscribed circle, as with a compass. That cannot be a sphere.

The word translated in circle is the Hebrew word chuwg, which is sometimes translated as circuit or compass, depending on the context. It indicates something spherical, rounded like a ball, or arched, not something that's flat or square.

Skywalker

Yes, and their ignorance is understandable. That ignorance is not excusable today. Plus there was at least one name on your list that was not a creationist. Who knows how many others woudl not be. And today I doubt if any of them would be creationists.

What's the difference if they believed in God before or after Darwin? It shows that science doesn't mean not believing in God.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
People thought that the earth is flat because they didn't have the maps that they had today.

Many land based cultures thought that the Earth was flat. They had no reason not to. Sea faring cultures could see ships and land disappearing from the bottom up. That tells us that the world is a sphere. The ignorance of early Hebrews was understandable. It does not mean that they were fools. One cannot say the same about believers in a Flat Earth today.

Skywalker

"came from quantum physics"? Again this is a poorly formed question. It appears that everything in our universe is natural. No woo woo needed. In fact there is no evidence for creationism.

There's no intermediate of natural or supernatural it's either one or the other.

Skywalker

Many land based cultures thought that the Earth was flat. They had no reason not to. Sea faring cultures could see ships and land disappearing from the bottom up. That tells us that the world is a sphere. The ignorance of early Hebrews was understandable. It does not mean that they were fools. One cannot say the same about believers in a Flat Earth today.

What do you think the early Hebrews were ignorant about? I think that people thought that the earth was flat because they didn't understand gradualness and everything else we see in the stars is round and not flat. The Ancient Hebrews weren't ignorant about the evidence hints at a round earth, not a flat earth.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Isaiah knew about the round earth before 500 BC.
Much of Isaiah was written during the Babylonian Captivity in the 500s BC. So around the time of Pythagoras. I expect the Babylonians and Greeks exchanged ideas.

But as I say, any sailor or desert nomad would have realised the surface oft he Earth was curved, just by observing objects close to the horizon. There is nothing remarkable about finding this in writings from the c.6th BC.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Many ancient Greeks thought that the earth is flat.
He asked for evidence. Now I would say that it is likely that many people believed in a Flat Earth in the past but I would be leery of claiming that any one particular person or group believed in a flat Earth without sufficient evidence.

Skywalker

Much of Isiah was written during the Balylonian Captivity in the 500s BC. So around the time of Pythagoras. I expect the Babylonians and Greeks exchanged ideas.

But as I say, any sailor or desert nomad would have realised the surface oft he Earth was curved, just by observing objects close to the horizon. There is nothing remarkable about finding this in writings from the c.6th BC.

There's no direct evidence that Isaiah got his ideas from the Babylonians or the Greeks. Even if there was nothing remarkable about what he said about the round earth, there's reasonable evidence he wasn't a flat earther.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Much of Isaiah was written during the Balylonian Captivity in the 500s BC. So around the time of Pythagoras. I expect the Babylonians and Greeks exchanged ideas.

I have never been in Middle East deserts. Are they fairly large and flat is my question? One needs both flatness and objects that appear as one moves over the curve of the Earth to observe the curve. I have been in areas so flat that there was no sign of curve. In fact one local house was described as "on top of the hill" because it was five feet higher in elevation than the surrounding land.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There's no direct evidence that Isaiah got his ideas from the Babylonians or the Greeks. Even if there was nothing remarkable about what he said about the round earth, there's reasonable evidence he wasn't a flat earther.
Actually he claimed that the Earth was flat. You mistranslated that verse.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I have never been in Middle East deserts. Are they fairly large and flat is my question? One needs both flatness and objects that appear as one moves over the curve of the Earth to observe the curve. I have been in areas so flat that there was no sign of curve. In fact one local house was described as "on top of the hill" because it was five feet higher in elevation than the surrounding land.
Sandy and stony deserts are often pretty flat and there are few trees or anything, so your line of sight to the horizon is unobstructed. All you need is to see a mountain or other large object come up into view as you get closer, or something like that, just as with sailing.