• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Shabbat "work" during wartime?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
I'm curious how cessation of work according to Judaic Law answers activity during wartime or even during emergent issues.

Jedster

I'm curious how cessation of work according to Judaic Law answers activity during wartime or even during emergent issues.

Having been in an Israeli/Arab war, the religious soldiers did all the same actions as the secular soldiers. Shabbat or not.

Jedster

So I gather the breaking up of Shabbat was sanctioned based on emergent issues?
I always thought this is implicit.
So for example if the only food available is non-kosher, it would be permissible to eat non-kosher.
Or if someone needs emergency treatment on Shabbat, it is permissible to phone for an ambulance or drive them to hospital etc.

Tumah

Veteran Member
why not, if one is ignorant of what is good or what is not...one may sin in ignorance defying good? Defy Hosea 6:6
For I desired mercy, and not sacrifice; and the knowledge of God more than burnt offerings.
But they like men have transgressed the covenant: there have they dealt treacherously against me
I can't parse this obtuse Christanspeak you're using, so I have no idea what you're saying or how you're connecting Hosea here.
Unintentional sins are sins where you either did not know the action itself is forbidden or did not realize that you were in circumstances where your otherwise permitted act became prohibited.
Whether the war was planned or not doesn't necessarily determine whether you had awareness of the permissiveness of the action at the time you performed it.