• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ekleipsis

It's a good question

I think that you have to have something that makes you feel like it's worth having faith in

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I am a man interested in faith but I find I have none. So I am curious, how is someone without faith supposed to go about obtaining faith?

If you weren't indoctrinated in your formative years, or if you are not highly predisposed towards unsubstantiated beliefs, then it is difficult, but not impossible, to acquire the type of faith you seek.

Essentially, you need to brainwash yourself - or, more accurately, you need to reshape your thought patterns using cognitive behavioral methods. Depending on how much you sincerely want to "find faith," how far your current personality and thought patterns diverge from the credulous mindset, and how consistently and usefully you apply cognitive behavioral methods, it could end up taking a very long time to change your brain/mind enough to truly "find faith."

I suspect the primary component is the actual, sincere, and examined desire to change your mindset/perspective.

idav

Being
Premium Member
I am a man interested in faith but I find I have none. So I am curious, how is someone without faith supposed to go about obtaining faith?
You imagine something good, then believe it can or will be real. It helps if the thing you want to believe is feasible or at least probable.

You say you want to have faith in God or some sort of gods. It seems like you haven't had spiritual experiences. Either you're begging for something you don't have, or you want an explanation for something you already believe in. Why do you believe there is a god or gods?

God has watched everything. He is watching us right now. However, he has ALREADY watched us. The future is God's past. While we are all situated in a simulation of a free state, or an existence with free nature, or as my religion calls it, "free agency," yes, although this freedom exists, God has ALREADY watched the outcome of this freedom experiment we're playing and he ALREADY has an opinion of us. God knew in the beginning that some people would believe in him and some wouldn't. Those who more bravely believed in God in the preexistence gained momentum that plays out in our present lives. If you feel you lack faith, perhaps you weren't as brave in the preexistence.

But you want faith. And that counts for something. Perhaps you did something in the preexistence such as that you had to be tested in this life to do God's will not having a sure knowledge.