• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does one fight an alien invasion?

Theweirdtophat

I hear people talk about zombie apocalypses even though I think an alien apocalypse is much more likely and plausible. How do you survive against it and what could you do to go against it. Unlike zombies of course, aliens would naturally be much more difficult to defeat given their advanced technology, but but like zombies or anything else, they can be defeated, as nothing is invinclble. So what would you di if such a thing happened?

gsa

I do not think that there would be any way to oppose it effectively. I also think it is actually quite improbable; a civilization that has the capacity to travel to earth from another solar system will probably not need anything that we have. But that also means that their weapons capacity would be immeasurably superior to our own.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I do not think that there would be any way to oppose it effectively. I also think it is actually quite improbable; a civilization that has the capacity to travel to earth from another solar system will probably not need anything that we have. But that also means that their weapons capacity would be immeasurably superior to our own.
But what if they never devlop the concept of war. Maybe on their planet there are only two species and they evolved peacefully. But now due to overpopulation because of their peaceful ways, they've flown to earth looking for more land.

gsa

But what if they never devlop the concept of war. Maybe on their planet there are only two species and they evolved peacefully. But now due to overpopulation because of their peaceful ways, they've flown to earth looking for more land.

I think that is highly unlikely he because it would be far less costly and more energy-efficient to do the equivalent of terraforming somewhere else, or just make space habitats.

Salek Atesh

The question is a vague one really. It's like asking how you would defend yourself if your home country was invaded by another. It begs the questions: Which other country?? How advanced are they?? What are their objectives?? How are they invading??

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."-Sun Tzu

It's at best a stalemate if we don't know more about the aliens.

Sultan Of Swing

I've heard that if they actually had a spacecraft that could withstand space debris while travelling near the speed of light in order to get here, their spacecraft would be pretty much impenetrable, it could take anything we throw at it, including nuclear warheads.

Sultan Of Swing

The question is a vague one really. It's like asking how you would defend yourself if your home country was invaded by another. It begs the questions: Which other country?? How advanced are they?? What are their objectives?? How are they invading??

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."-Sun Tzu

The question is vague, yet governments actually have contingency plans for these situations, everything is already planned and worked out, which is kinda cool.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
From all the reproduction angles from alien stories, I suspect they come to make love, not war. I'd be in bed smoking a cigarette along a bottle and glasses of wine with my bathrobe on, reading an issue of playboy.

Hope she's sexy with big bazobas.

Theweirdtophat

It's not too vague. Obviously they are advanced enough to come to our solar system. Their objective would be to enslave, or repopulate their species or relocate. But I'd assume they'd be pretty tough if they can do what we can't do. Fortunately there'd be more of us than them and we have the home field advantage. How would they invade? Well, with ships of course, unless they bring troops through a dimensional portal of some kind.

Salek Atesh

Their objective would be to enslave, or repopulate their species or relocate.

Yeah, the distinction between which of those three REALLY makes a difference. If it's the first, making us cost more through attrition, terrorism, and wonton destruction then we are worth on alien slave-and-or-meat markets might work.

Repopulation might have some interesting options, but it is again to vague. The morbid, but effective, question I want to know is... do the aliens value the life of their offspring??

But if they are here to relocate, then fighting them and making us "not worth the effort" of conquest is likely a really bad idea. Since these aliens have the option of: forcibly settle earth or die, they will fight to the death.

The distinction between the first motive and third motive literally turns a good idea into a terrible one, which is why I again think we need more information before we can answer.

But I'd assume they'd be pretty tough if they can do what we can't do.

Fair assumption.

Fortunately there'd be more of us than them

Weird and completely baseless assumption. Occasionally the conquerors can outnumber the natives. Imagine a large empire with a large military conquering a tiny island with a small tribe on it. In that case, the invaders could very well outnumber the islanders. Now swap out the word "island" for "planet".

and we have the home field advantage.

Again fair assumption.

How would they invade? Well, with ships of course, unless they bring troops through a dimensional portal of some kind.

Not what I meant as in "how". If the aliens don't need our food, they might target our farmlands to starve us out, or they want our farmlands and try to capture them and not destroy. The same is true for any of our natural resources. Perhaps they could use our oil. Perhaps they have no need for it and thus target the resource to cripple us.

They might try for "shock-and-awe" style tactics and target civilians in order to scare us into surrender. Then again, these aliens might have a religion that limits what they are allowed to do in warfare, similar to Islam, and might find it unholy or evil to target noncombatants. Or they might have some sort of Cosmic United Nations equivalent preventing them from using chemical weapons against us, or other classes of weapons.

They might target our military first, or they might target our economy first in order to cripple the military.

They might come in through brute force, or they may try to invade by political subversion and manipulation. It could either be War of the Worlds or They Live depending on anything.

They might wage their campaign of conquest in the open, or they may be fans of espionage and covert warfare.

They might be motivated by greed, in which case they'll fight conservatively and carefully, not risking expenses, or they might be motivated by ideology, in which case they may fight to the death.

They might be united in their motives to conquer us, or there may be aliens within their society sympathetic to us and willing to help us.

All of these factors, and more decisively affect what the best way to counter the alien threat is. Currently, I don't have enough information to say what the best strategy would be.

von bek

An advanced alien species with the ability to travel through deep space would likely need never step on the planet in order to wipe out human life. They probably are not going to come down and fight hand to hand. (Think about how having air superiority drastically changes combat between two groups here on Earth.) They will have a technological superiority that we would not be able to overcome in time to repel them. If aliens visit, we better hope they come in peace...

Reactions: gsa

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Speculating such things is fun.

There have been a few zombie apocolypses. The Plague then Ebola, medicine is good now, they're both treatable.

An Alien invasion is ridiculous to imagine. They would be so technologically advanced if they reached Earth from another solar system.

It's just preposterous to think we had a real chance, they would have us mastered, they would know our technology and weapon systems.

Way before we thought they were on the ground, they would have been watching us and studying us for a very long time.

Last edited:

von bek

It's just preposterous to think we had a real chance, they would have us mastered, they would know our technology and weapon systems.

Yeah. Think about how we are more advanced in weaponry than in space travel. If, (and this is an assumption, I admit) an alien species has the same difference between the two, their capability for destruction would be absolutely mind-boggling.

Salek Atesh

A lot of you guys seem to be making an error in assumption, that anyone who could make it to earth could easily wipe us out.

But, what if we're the target of their first voyage that far?? We didn't build our earth-to-moon system to do much else than get from earth to the moon and back.

Depending on how long they've spent on this technology, they might not be able to do much more than arrive at our planet.

Whiterain

We're not that far behind, there are amazing breakthrough's every day.

NASA is now using particle engines on their satellites, for real. It's amazing. They didn't seem to disclose it until it was half way to Jupiter already.

I'm just saying, before we realized aliens were on the ground they would have been watching us before hand. They wouldn't waste the time. Once they're here half the work is done with the hysteria it would cause, particularly if we knew their agenda.

von bek

A lot of you guys seem to be making an error in assumption, that anyone who could make it to earth could easily wipe us out.

But, what if we're the target of their first voyage that far?? We didn't build our earth-to-moon system to do much else than get from earth to the moon and back.

Depending on how long they've spent on this technology, they might not be able to do much more than arrive at our planet.

Fair enough, but the op specifically mentions "invasion". Invasion implies hostility. An alien race able to travel through deep space will not come from within our own solar system. So, there will be a high level of technological sophistication involved. Much more advanced than ours, we haven't even sent a person to the moon in decades!

Whiterain

Fair enough, but the op specifically mentions "invasion". Invasion implies hostility. An alien race able to travel through deep space will not come from within our own solar system. So, there will be a high level of technological sophistication involved. Much more advanced than ours, we haven't even sent a person to the moon in decades!

It's impractical to send people to space really, we have robots that can do it now. The future in mining MARS is real, we'll need what resources are on that planet as well as many moons.

von bek

It's impractical to send people to space really, we have robots that can do it now. The future in mining MARS is real, we'll need what resources are on that planet as well as many moons.

I agree that it is not simply a matter of technology, but money as well. There are other considerations as well, of course. But, if President Obama declared today we were going to land humans on Saturn's moon, Titan, how long do you think it would take before we could actually send a person on that journey? Are we years away? Decades? Actually, maybe the question is more reasonably asked of Mars.