• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does one become Wiccan?

VioletVortex

Satanism isn't a form of Paganism. But there was a whole discussion on that elsewhere.

But yes, people who think we worship the devil are ignorant. Where we differ greatly is that I believe the cure to ignorance is information, not spite. It is absolutely our responsibility to educate on what our various religious believe and offer. You can't just expect people to know everything before confronting you.

I don't think that Paganism is for sheep. We have Devils of course, like Loki, and while we don't exactly "worship" them in the same manner we do our divine deities, we still revere them as holding positive aspects and bringing balance to nature. Christianity has a tendency to tarnish the deities of others religions, making them into the composite character of biblical Satan, and also into various Demons. I think the argument would be whether or not non Indo-European deities like Set or Ea are Pagan. If they are, then modern Satan is a demonization of various Pagan gods, so Satanism is in a sense Paganism. I think that Ea is a probably a composite of Set and Dyeus. Of course, they are all different names for the same basic force, regardless of any direct cultural link.

Still, no, we do not worship the Christian Devil.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I don't think that Paganism is for sheep.
How does anything I said relate to being sheep?

We have Devils of course, like Loki, and while we don't exactly "worship" them in the same manner we do our divine deities...
No. Just... no. As someone who actively worships Loki (there's even an entire sect devoted to Loki worship) I somewhat resent this. Loki is in no way, shape, or form comparable to the Christian devil. Not to mention that with a pantheon as diverse as the Norse - having tribes of the Æsir, Vanir, Jotnar, and Álfar - one can't really separate them into "divine" and "not divine but still revered".

There's no such thing as a "devil" in Paganism. For someone so adamant against thinking in a "Christian sense", this is a very Christian-like thing to say.

VioletVortex

How does anything I said relate to being sheep?

No. Just... no. As someone who actively worships Loki (there's even an entire sect devoted to Loki worship) I somewhat resent this. Loki is in no way, shape, or form comparable to the Christian devil. Not to mention that with a pantheon as diverse as the Norse - having tribes of the Æsir, Vanir, Jotnar, and Álfar - one can't really separate them into "divine" and "not divine but still revered".

There's no such thing as a "devil" in Paganism. For someone so adamant against thinking in a "Christian sense", this is a very Christian-like thing to say.

Remember that this is a DIR, and furthermore, technically not one we should be posting in. As you said, there's already a debate thread for this subject (I just posted there) so let's move our discussion over there, or at least to a new debate thread.

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Yes, I know this is a DIR. And as a Pagan, I can post here; if I couldn't, I wouldn't be able to at all. There's a debate thread for the nature of Satanism, not the worship of Loki (of which Wiccans do as well).