• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does one become Wiccan?

Araceli Cianna

I have started reading up on Wicca and it feels right to me, although I am atheist and don't believe in any deities or the supernatural or magic, I see the beauty in nature and feel drawn to anthropomorphizing it in a pantheistic/polytheistic way. I read about naturalistic paganism which appeals to me quite a lot and I saw that atheistic wicca can come under that.

So after more reading and studying about wicca, how would I become a Wiccan? I can't go to a local coven or anything (Christian family, no-no) but am fine with being an eclectic solitary wiccan for the time being. Is it enough to just call myself a wiccan and that's it? It seems like a massive change though, so I'm taking my time with deciding.

So for some positive encouragement, what inspired you guys to become wiccan? Why do you think I personally should become wiccan? I am drawn to the Goddess, to the Universe, to different pagan traditions (greek, norse, egyptian, indian, ect, and would even be cool if I could put Jesus in there to honor my family). And one day I would love to join a coven, for the sense of connectedness to community and nature.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
As far as I know we don't have any active Wiccan members. However you did mention being interested in various Pagan traditions, so feel free to come over to the Paganism DIR if you want.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I have started reading up on Wicca and it feels right to me, although I am atheist and don't believe in any deities or the supernatural or magic, I see the beauty in nature and feel drawn to anthropomorphizing it in a pantheistic/polytheistic way. I read about naturalistic paganism which appeals to me quite a lot and I saw that atheistic wicca can come under that.

So after more reading and studying about wicca, how would I become a Wiccan? I can't go to a local coven or anything (Christian family, no-no) but am fine with being an eclectic solitary wiccan for the time being. Is it enough to just call myself a wiccan and that's it? It seems like a massive change though, so I'm taking my time with deciding.

So for some positive encouragement, what inspired you guys to become wiccan? Why do you think I personally should become wiccan? I am drawn to the Goddess, to the Universe, to different pagan traditions (greek, norse, egyptian, indian, ect, and would even be cool if I could put Jesus in there to honor my family). And one day I would love to join a coven, for the sense of connectedness to community and nature.

Hey there, welcome to RF. I'm not technically allowed to post in this DIR but I will this time because I don't think we actually have any Wiccans on the forum at present. In order to become a 'real' Wiccan you would have to be initiated into a traditional Alexandrian, Dianic or Gardnerian coven. This is because Wicca places a great deal of emphasis on the importance of tradition, lineages of initiation etc.

Being a non-Wiccan, I'm not sure on the specifics of initiation. Here's a short list of the various types of Wicca one could practise - bearing in mind some may overlap.

Araceli Cianna

Hey there, welcome to RF. I'm not technically allowed to post in this DIR but I will this time because I don't think we actually have any Wiccans on the forum at present. In order to become a 'real' Wiccan you would have to be initiated into a traditional Alexandrian, Dianic or Gardnerian coven. This is because Wicca places a great deal of emphasis on the importance of tradition, lineages of initiation etc.

Being a non-Wiccan, I'm not sure on the specifics of initiation. Here's a short list of the various types of Wicca one could practise - bearing in mind some may overlap.

Ok thanks, but for example, could I just call myself Wiccan once I made my mind up and identity as that? Even if it's not properly initiated?

So also, what's the difference between paganism and wiccan, and same question for paganism... can you just call yourself one and be a solo practitioner or do you have to be initiated?

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
As far as I know we don't have any active Wiccan members. However you did mention being interested in various Pagan traditions, so feel free to come over to the Paganism DIR if you want.
I'm a Wiccan initiate ("BTW"). :)

A lot that is called "wicca" is actually various Neopagan eclectic witchcrafts and paganisms which are quite different from traditional Wicca so it gets confusing as to what all it consists of. Wicca itself is an initiatory priesthood of specific deities and does not change from person to person. Eclectic practices are not this priesthood and vary greatly from one another and from traditional Wicca as they differ on the number and extent of Wiccan-influence they incorporate. Thus, the confusion of "what is wicca", the term is incorrectly treated as a synonym for both "witchcraft" and "paganism". There are many Pagan religions wholly unrelated to Wicca and do not resemble or incorporate any witchcraft and various witchcrafts that are unrelated to Wicca and don't resemble it. You can be a Pagan and not be either a Wiccan or any other kind of witch, you can be a Witch without being Wiccan. (So for clarity: I use "Wicca" when referring to trad Wicca and "Eclecticism" in reference to other practices.)

Putting labels aside, what is it that you've read which feels right to you? Yes, Humanistic/Naturalistic is a growing segment of the Neopagan community. As noted above, you can be a Pagan or witch without being a Wiccan. Wicca is a priesthood of specific deities. However, it is also an orthopraxic religion. Meaning, an emphasis is on maintaining "proper practice" (which is passed from initiate to initiate) and not orthodoxy ("proper belief") so one is not told how to perceive. Most Wiccan initiates' experiences have led them to be hard polytheists however, there are those who are soft polytheists, and, so I've heard, atheists (though I don't personally know any or how that works, they are a tiny minority).

Again, it depends on how the word "wicca" is used. If you want to belong to its priesthood then, yes, that would require training and initiation into one of its traditions. If, however, you're interested in developing your own manner of practice which includes wiccan influence per your choosing then how to proceed is entirely up to you.

Why do you think I personally should become wiccan? I am drawn to the Goddess, to the Universe, to different pagan traditions (greek, norse, egyptian, indian, ect, and would even be cool if I could put Jesus in there to honor my family). And one day I would love to join a coven, for the sense of connectedness to community and nature.

I don't assume anything only to suggest that you look into a range of individual practices. In my experience, most newcomers start off thinking they're drawn to "wicca" only to discover after gaining more information that another pagan or witchcraft path is a better fit for them. What do you mean by "the Goddess"? If you're drawn to specific deities or pantheons, personally I would recommend NOT starting off with books on eclecticism/solitary "Wicca" but begin with researching reconstructionist practices associated with those deities. This will give you more options for better research materials on religious practices associated with those deities. Even if you don't ultimately pursue a recon path, the information will give you a solid foundation to build on.

I can try to help with reading recommendations if you'd like.

Last edited:

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
In order to become a 'real' Wiccan you would have to be initiated into a traditional Alexandrian, Dianic or Gardnerian coven. This is because Wicca places a great deal of emphasis on the importance of tradition, lineages of initiation etc.
Dianic Witchcraft is not one of the Wicca traditions, it is a feminist spirituality that gained momentum in the 1970s. There is also more than one type of Dianic and they're unrelated to one another, though the other bares some resemblance to Trad Wicca. Quite often the label "Wicca" was applied by various practices because of actual Wicca's rising popularity at the time and because the word didn't carry the same volatile baggage as the word "witchcraft". There are far fewer actual Wiccan traditions than is claimed however there are many witchcraft traditions.

Also worth considering is the politics that are sometimes reflected in different religions. Feminist Dianic Witchcraft, the most widely heard of and founded by Z Budapest, excludes transgender women and has been accused of being misandrist ("fem Nazis"). So knowing the social/political views common within a specific practice is worth becoming aware of as well.

Disclosure: I'm that same Callisto in that discussion. :)

Ok thanks, but for example, could I just call myself Wiccan once I made my mind up and identity as that? Even if it's not properly initiated?

I would suggest holding off on any label for now except for "solitary" with either "pagan" and/or "witch" simply because you're still trying to get your bearings. "Solitary witch" and "Solitary pagan" are perfectly legitimate identities and that's exactly what many identify as regardless of what influences they've drawn from. It also precludes confusion or debate over whether something is or isn't something it's evident you've cultivated a personal practice by pulling on different influences.

So also, what's the difference between paganism and wiccan, and same question for paganism... can you just call yourself one and be a solo practitioner or do you have to be initiated?

Not every Pagan path requires initiation. There are established traditions, like Wicca, in which initiation is a part. Eclecticism doesn't require initiation and Paganism generally does not require becoming part of any specific tradition. The largest segment of Neopaganism is made of Eclectic pagans and witches.

That said, obviously there are individuals who choose to identify as Wiccan without belonging to one of its traditions. So ultimately, you have to weigh this for yourself.

VioletVortex

Wicca is a Neo-Pagan composite revival of mostly elements of Celtic Paganism (Druidry for example). If you are interested in Wicca, explore it further, but don't forget it's predecessors. Drudry may be harder to become familiar with, as it tends to be more of a blank slate with an underlying philosophy, whereas Wicca is a popularized form of one person's take on Celtic Paganism.

Unfortunately for you, there are hardly any Wiccans here. Interpret that as you will. If you are interested, there are some pretty informative sites. As a suggestion, ignore the ones with a list of spells, especially those who offer to sell spells. Also, ignore the ones with any sort of disclaimer stating that "Wicca is not Devil Worship, we are not Satanists" and whatnot. Try to find an unbiased informational source regarding Wicca.

As far as identity goes, I wouldn't get too caught up in it, but absolutely, it is something you can assign for yourself. If you aren't serious, of course others will dismiss it, but as long as you take it seriously, you have every right to call yourself a Wiccan, or anything else for that matter. As far as I know, it isn't something you are sanctified into necessarily.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Wicca is not Celtic-based, a very good summary of why is here, Wicca is not Celtic and Other Simple Truths.

Wicca is a British witchcraft and “British” is not simply a synonym for “Celtic”, there were Romans, Angles, Saxons, Norman, Jutes, Frisians, all of which had invaded and settled Britain from about 60 C.E. onward. Except for a handful of Celtic words, there was hardly anything at all Celtic in Gardner’s Craft. The word “Wicca” is Anglo.

“The witches do not know the origin of their cult. My own theory is, as I said before, that it is a Stone Age cult of the matriarchal times,” Gardner, Witchcraft Today p. 43

Gardner’s personal theory was fueled by the leading hypothesis of the day, (the now debunked witch cult hypothesis). Gardner indicated the practice he claimed to be initiated into was a local remnant, an English craft with the gods these witches venerated being tutelary (local/tribal).

The notion of there being “Celtic Wicca” stems from more recent misinformation that was helped along by the glut of soft cover pop culture “Wicca” books cranked out in the 1990s that tossed anything popular under the “Wicca” heading that was profitable including making it Celtic (for those too young to remember, there was a mainstream “Celt craze” in the 1990s). One especially craptacular piece of nonsense that emerged was called Witta, “an old Irish craft” - a ripoff with a letter change. If you look up “Celtic Wicca” you’ll find multiple articles on why Wicca isn’t Celtic plus pages by those claiming to practice what is specifically labeled “Celtic Wicca” (a redundancy if Gardner had claimed it was Celtic) with info that this bit of Neopagan eclecticism is a recent development and not original Wicca.

Prior to that, two non-Wiccans, Gavin and Yvonne Frost, created their own practices which they hawked in the classifieds of such sterling publications as The Enquirer during the 1970s. Not only did they lie about being Wiccan (they had no connection to Gardner’s Craft and claimed to have founded it, in the late ‘60s) but, as Chas Clifton states in his book, “Her Hidden Children: The Rise of Wicca and Paganism in America” in his notes (p. 67) regarding the Frosts’ book, “The Witches Bible”, “Their ‘Celtic Wicca’ honored an ‘overseeing God who delegates authority throughout the universe’ (p. 23) and seemed to combine American spiritualism, a Theosophical view of progressive reincarnation, New Thought-style ‘mind development,’ and Golden Dawn-style magic.” I.e., not Wicca (or Celtic).

The Emperor of Mankind

Dianic Witchcraft is not one of the Wicca traditions, it is a feminist spirituality that gained momentum in the 1970s. There is also more than one type of Dianic and they're unrelated to one another, though the other bares some resemblance to Trad Wicca. Quite often the label "Wicca" was applied by various practices because of actual Wicca's rising popularity at the time and because the word didn't carry the same volatile baggage as the word "witchcraft". There are far fewer actual Wiccan traditions than is claimed however there are many witchcraft traditions.

Forgive me. I didn't think you were still around as I've not seen you post in a while.

Also worth considering is the politics that are sometimes reflected in different religions. Feminist Dianic Witchcraft, the most widely heard of and founded by Z Budapest, excludes transgender women and has been accused of being misandrist ("fem Nazis"). So knowing the social/political views common within a specific practice is worth becoming aware of as well.

One can join a religious movement while not necessarily espousing its political views. Sometimes its pretty hard to keep yourself separate from such things though, especially when it comes to folkish circles who espouse racial/cultural purity.

Disclosure: I'm that same Callisto in that discussion. :)

Neat; though I have to admit I didn't even see the discussions below - I just saw the list.

I would suggest holding off on any label for now except for "solitary" with either "pagan" and/or "witch" simply because you're still trying to get your bearings. "Solitary witch" and "Solitary pagan" are perfectly legitimate identities and that's exactly what many identify as regardless of what influences they've drawn from. It also precludes confusion or debate over whether something is or isn't something it's evident you've cultivated a personal practice by pulling on different influences.

This. This might be of particular use to you, @Sheon. The vague nature of 'solitary Pagan' might apply to you more than something more solid like 'wicca' just now as you come to terms with what Wicca is, what makes sense & what works for you.

Not every Pagan path requires initiation. There are established traditions, like Wicca, in which initiation is a part. Eclecticism doesn't require initiation and Paganism generally does not require becoming part of any specific tradition. The largest segment of Neopaganism is made of Eclectic pagans and witches.

All of this is true. It's worth pointing out for the OP's benefit that there may be some justifiable elitism on the part of initiated Wiccans as thanks to the Internet anybody can set themselves and whatever they're selling up as 'Wiccan' these days without knowing a thing about it simply so they can attract the biggest Pagan market for their wares. There are also some local groups of various Pagan paths or even mystery traditions which might require an initiation. There's a whole world of politics involved with what initiations are, what they can involve and what types are to be avoided. Have a look on Patheos Pagan and you'll probably find a blog entry or several on initiations.

The Emperor of Mankind

Also, ignore the ones with any sort of disclaimer stating that "Wicca is not Devil Worship, we are not Satanists" and whatnot. Try to find an unbiased informational source regarding Wicca.

Why would such a disclaimer make a source biased? Thanks to Christianity's influence on Western culture it's a pretty common misconception that Wicca involves Satan-worship.

VioletVortex

Why would such a disclaimer make a source biased? Thanks to Christianity's influence on Western culture it's a pretty common misconception that Wicca involves Satan-worship.

It indicates that the source is wishy-washy, that the writer is a "fluff bunny". It's beyond my understanding why a group would want people who are scared of darkness on its side.

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
They had us pick the Big DIR classifications, so you're covered on this sub-DIR by choosing Neopagan or Revival Religions. If you don't have access, you can't post at all.

True, but if we aren't Wiccan, technically we shouldn't be in the Wicca DIR. In theory this isn't really a big deal but I could see it getting tricky when those of us who have some negative views on Wicca start chiming in. :p

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
It indicates that the source is wishy-washy, that the writer is a "fluff bunny".
No, it does not. In a nation that is heavily saturated by Christian culture and social misunderstanding, such a disclaimer against common misconception and slander is almost a necessity. And make no mistake, when we're called "devil worshipers" it's not meant as a good thing; there is no tie to whatever branch of Satanism you've delved into. They're talking baby sacrifice and blood orgy. So clarifying "Hey, we're not worshiping the devil here" is just stating facts, not indicating wishy-washy fluffiness.

Even those of us who are not against "darkness" don't like being mislabeled.

VioletVortex

No, it does not. In a nation that is heavily saturated by Christian culture and social misunderstanding, such a disclaimer against common misconception and slander is almost a necessity. And make no mistake, when we're called "devil worshipers" it's not meant as a good thing; there is no tie to whatever branch of Satanism you've delved into. They're talking baby sacrifice and blood orgy. So clarifying "Hey, we're not worshiping the devil here" is just stating facts, not indicating wishy-washy fluffiness.

Even those of us who are not against "darkness" don't like being mislabeled.

I feel that people who want to join Pagan groups while still thinking within the Christian scheme of thought aren't necessarily the most desirable members, but as long as they have money, I guess they are welcome there...

I have never heard of any outrageous blood sacrifices and whatnot occuring within any Satanic groups, and anyone who thinks that they do...

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
I feel that people who want to join Pagan groups while still thinking within the Christian scheme of thought aren't necessarily the most desirable members, but as long as they have money, I guess they are welcome there...
It's not "thinking in a Christian scheme", it's dispelling a very common social misconception. Also with most Pagan groups members having money is not important; few even have initiation fees.

I have never heard of any outrageous blood sacrifices and whatnot occuring within any Satanic groups, and anyone who thinks that they do...
That's just the thing; people who think they do, and people who think Pagans are "just Satanists." Wouldn't you prefer those rumors and misconceptions not be so? To do that, we must first educate society away from them. Ergo, functionary social disclaimers.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Forgive me. I didn't think you were still around as I've not seen you post in a while.
Oh, no problem. I tend to read more than post here since the majority of topics occur on other DIR.

One can join a religious movement while not necessarily espousing its political views. Sometimes its pretty hard to keep yourself separate from such things though, especially when it comes to folkish circles who espouse racial/cultural purity.

True. And most religions don't inherently dictate politics or mandate judgments against others. The issue is some individuals foist their socio-political views on to these religions, twisting them to serve their personal wants and secular agendas and that sometimes grows to be a segment of the greater body of a religion. Bigotry from both the far right and the far left occurs. What I want to point out to the OP is that learning what leanings dominate within a given group or tradition is something to be aware of since a person could find themselves among individuals and ideology they don't personally agree with.

All of this is true. It's worth pointing out for the OP's benefit that there may be some justifiable elitism on the part of initiated Wiccans as thanks to the Internet anybody can set themselves and whatever they're selling up as 'Wiccan' these days without knowing a thing about it simply so they can attract the biggest Pagan market for their wares. There are also some local groups of various Pagan paths or even mystery traditions which might require an initiation. There's a whole world of politics involved with what initiations are, what they can involve and what types are to be avoided. Have a look on Patheos Pagan and you'll probably find a blog entry or several on initiations.

Trad Wiccans are often accused of elitism, in the negative sense of the word, but that's just because individuals can't refute their position so detractors inevitably resort to ad hominem. Though elitism in the constructive sense is a good thing, not self-aggrandizement, and typically valued in society - it indicates possessing the skills, or resources, or programs that are specific and not so easily attained. E.g., to be accepted into an elite school, or have what it takes to make it onto an elite team, or elite armed forces is deemed a good thing.

The problem is that there are some Eclecticisms that are a cheapening of the label "Wicca" - and "Pagan" for that matter. That has less to do with elitism and more to do with the fact that it takes a lot more than self-pronouncement to be able to call one's self a Wiccan (or other established tradition) than it does to call one's self an Eclectic. Technically, the latter takes no longer than the time it takes to say they are one. It's not far different than any other field.

That's not to say Wicca or other traditions are "better" than another practice, just that they are specific things with their own defined criteria that is not optional or mutable just because someone wants them to be for their own reasons.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
True, but if we aren't Wiccan, technically we shouldn't be in the Wicca DIR. In theory this isn't really a big deal but I could see it getting tricky when those of us who have some negative views on Wicca start chiming in. :p

Depends on whether it's a valid criticism or ad hominem. I have no problem with discussing the former nor any difficulty in cutting down the latter.

VioletVortex

It's not "thinking in a Christian scheme", it's dispelling a very common social misconception. Also with most Pagan groups members having money is not important; few even have initiation fees.

That's just the thing; people who think they do, and people who think Pagans are "just Satanists." Wouldn't you prefer those rumors and misconceptions not be so? To do that, we must first educate society away from them. Ergo, functionary social disclaimers.

People who actually think Pagans worship the Judeo-Christian Devil are ignorant. I'd consider them more welcome if they bothered to actually do research before formulating such a strong and emotionally charged opinion on our religion. They shouldn't have to be educated, they should have done it themselves.

(Not to say that Satanism isn't a form of Paganism, and that certain forms of Paganism aren't related to Satanism).

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Satanism isn't a form of Paganism. But there was a whole discussion on that elsewhere.

But yes, people who think we worship the devil are ignorant. Where we differ greatly is that I believe the cure to ignorance is information, not spite. It is absolutely our responsibility to educate on what our various religious believe and offer. You can't just expect people to know everything before confronting you.