• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does man 'stack up' to God?

Riven

I've seen a lot of posts on here about how we're only "lowly humans", we don't deserve God's gifts, we can never understand God, etc., etc.

I think that's a large part of the world's problems: the belief in littleness. I believe we are all powerful, glorious, and holy Sons of God, in whom He is well pleased. We deserve our Inheritance, which is everything. We can easily understand God because he is not mysterious or complex. We are perfect, incorruptible, loving extensions of God himself, fully deserving of the Kingdom of Heaven.

fromthe heart

Riven said:
I've seen a lot of posts on here about how we're only "lowly humans", we don't deserve God's gifts, we can never understand God, etc., etc.

I think that's a large part of the world's problems: the belief in littleness. I believe we are all powerful, glorious, and holy Sons of God, in whom He is well pleased. We deserve our Inheritance, which is everything. We can easily understand God because he is not mysterious or complex. We are perfect, incorruptible, loving extensions of God himself, fully deserving of the Kingdom of Heaven.
I can only agree with you in the sense that we are extensions of God through Grace...but we are not all 'THAT' as you refered to. We are all God's children with a free will to make decissions and some of us will decide to accept the gift of God through Jesus Christ and other's will learn the unforgiving lesson of the eternal lake of fire...we are not 'all powerful...we are stronger as we learn to accept the will of the Father and He leads us on the journey of knowledge to knowing Him better...you can't tell me that some of the folks who go out whoring,killing,stealing...etc are as you say all powerful as God Himself....surely you aren't suggesting such to be the case. We will NOT see the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN...unless we are fully obedient and accept the gith of God in Jesus Christ our Savior!

However the case may be you are entitled to your opinion, I'll respect that...but you'll have to show respect for other's opinions as well.:)

fromthe heart

Riven said:
And how, exactly, was I disrespecting anyone's opinion?
Easy now...I didn't say you were disrepsecting anyones opinion at all...I just wanted you to know I respect other's opinions who differ from mine...other's feel we are but 'lowly humans' and you made it seem IMO that we weren't entitled to feel that way...perhaps I misunderstood what you were trying to say...if that's the case I request your forgivness.:)

Riven

fromthe heart said:
you can't tell me that some of the folks who go out whoring,killing,stealing...etc are as you say all powerful as God Himself....surely you aren't suggesting such to be the case.
I'm suggesting that those acts never even take place. The world in which these events seem to occur does not exist.

And I have no intention of telling anyone what they may or may not believe. Sorry if it seemed that way. Mine is not to change my brother, but merely to accept him as he is.

I believe that we are as God created us, and God created us by extending Himself. We are literally made out of the same "stuff" as God. The only way we could now be in a state other than the one in which we were created would be if a power greater than God existed, one that could alter His creations and defy His Will.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I'm suggesting that those acts never even take place. The world in which these events seem to occur does not exist.
I don't think I follow you here...
Murders, Rapes and Theft don't happin?

wa:do

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
While I don't think I'd carry it quite as far as Riven has, I believe he has made some worthwhile points. I just shake my head in disbelief when I hear people speak of mankind as "worthless, depraved wretches" with no right to happiness and completely undeserving of God's love. We are children of God, for Heaven's sake! We are His offspring, created in His image and were given dominion over the whole earth. Riven hit the nail on the head when he said, "We are literally made out of the same 'stuff' as God."

Sure we make mistakes. Some of them might even be pretty serious. But why would He have provided a Savior for us -- someone to take upon Himself our sins -- if He didn't think we were worth saving. Doesn't anybody ever consider our potential as His sons and daughters? From Romans 8:16-17, 2 Peter 1:4, Revelation 2:26-27 and Revelation 3:21, we we learn that, as children of God, we may also be His heirs, joint-heirs with Christ, even glorified with Him. We might partake of the nature of divinity and be allowed to sit with our Savior on His throne, to rule over the nations. Obviously, we can't do these things on our own, but we are so much more highly valued in His eyes than we apparently are in our own eyes that it's not even funny.

Kathryn

P.S. Riven, What's ACIM?

Riven

painted wolf said:
I don't think I follow you here...
Murders, Rapes and Theft don't happin?

wa:do
If the world doesn't exist, the events that take place within the world don't exist.

Riven

Katzpur said:
P.S. Riven, What's ACIM?
ACIM Stands for A Course In Miracles, the book that contains the spiritual ideas I believe in. It's kinda Christianity, but not really, and kinda New Age, but not really.

Riven

michel said:
Tiven,

You don't believe in Solipsim, do you?:)
I don't know, that's the first time I've ever seen that word. But, I'll try to answer that as best I can based on what Google tells me it means.

Sounds kinda iffy. I do believe that the physical world does not exist, it is merely an illusion. But, solipsism is based on Gorgias' following words:

Nothing exists. Even if something exists, nothing can be known about it. Even if something could be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others.
I believe that there IS a reality, it's just not this world. So, that shoots down the first sentence. I believe we can know everything about the reality that does exist; that is the Holy Spirit's purpose, to foster communication between reality and illusion. So, there goes the second sentence. And, I believe we can communicate reality to each other. In fact, I believe the whole point of relationships in this illusory world is to communicate reality to our brothers. So, there goes the third sentence. So, I guess it's kinda Christianity, but not really, kinda New Age, but not really, and kinda solipsism, but not really.

Dayv

I know I've said this before, but why are humans so special? Why is humanity the only living creaure that is connected to 'God?' I don't believe that people are born vile or lowly, but I'd say that many other organisms are above us on a spiritual and righteous level, and people are probably the least connected to the goddess of any of them.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dayv said:
I know I've said this before, but why are humans so special? Why is humanity the only living creaure that is connected to 'God?' I don't believe that people are born vile or lowly, but I'd say that many other organisms are above us on a spiritual and righteous level, and people are probably the least connected to the goddess of any of them.
Amen to that.:)

Riven

Dayv said:
Maybe I should have stated that better. Man, woman, ostrich, goldfish, whatever. All are life, and all are equal. None is 'more connected' to God than another, because as soon as a connection to God occurs, this world would vanish from whomever or whatever achieved the connection because they would no longer believe in it.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Dayv said:
from a traditional jewish perspective, we are the link, so to speak, between the natural, animal part of creation and the Divine
HaAdam = the man/mankind
which is created from the earth: min ha'adamah
but in the likeness of G-d: adameh l'elyon

Dayv

I hate that, saying that men were created in the likeness of god. If god is allmighty, can't he take whatever form he should choose? It's just humanity trying to put themselves above everything else. The goddess is nature, as disconnected as people are to nature, It'd be sad to think that WE are the link.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Dayv said:
I hate that, saying that men were created in the likeness of god. If god is allmighty, can't he take whatever form he should choose? It's just humanity trying to put themselves above everything else. The goddess is nature, as disconnected as people are to nature, It'd be sad to think that WE are the link.
Hi,

My interpretation of 'in the likeness of God' means in 'character' - the ability to Love, to do good deeds, to help others. I don't think it was ever meant to be taken literally.(IMO):)

Dayv

animals love, help each other, etc. Humans aren't special in that sense. At least most intelligent animals that can love do, while there are many people who don't feel it at all.

cardero

Citizen Mod
How does man 'stack up' to God?
Equally, the only difference is in your location and your purpose.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Dayv said:
Davy i think we are comparing apples to oranges when we compare how our faiths percieve man's role in respect to the Divine and nature.