• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Islam relate to Christianity and Judaism?

best friend

Muslims, Christians and Jews all trace their origins to the Prophet and Patriarch Abraham and their three Prophets are direct descendants from Abraham's sons - Muhammad from the eldest, Ishmael, and Moses and Jesus from Isaac (peace be upon them all).

Muslims particularly respect and revere Jesus. They consider him one of the greatest of God's prophets and messengers. A Muslim never refers to him simply as "Jesus", but always adds the phrase "peace be upon him." The Qur'an confirms his virgin birth, and a special chapter of the Qur'an is entitled "Mary" in honor of the mother of Jesus.

Jesus was born miraculously through the same power that had brought Adam (peace be upon them both) into being without a father:

"Truly the likeness of Jesus with God is as the likeness of Adam. He created him of dust and then said to him, 'Be!' and he was." (Qur'an 3:59)
During his prophetic mission, Jesus (peace be upon him) performed many miracles. The Qur'an tells us that he said:

"I have come to you with a sign from your Lord: I make for you out of clay a figure of a bird, and breathe into it and it becomes a bird by God's leave. And I heal the blind, and the lepers, and I raise the dead by God's leave." (Qur'an 3:49)
Neither Muhammad nor Jesus (peace be upon them) came to change the basic doctrine of the belief in One God, brought by earlier prophets, but to confirm and renew it

Colin_Admin

According to bestfriend, Jesus was a prophet just as was Muhammad, Ishmael and Moses.

What i dont understand is why did God have so many prophets? Did he make some mistakes with earlier prophets and he needed to correct those mistakes with later prophets?

Question- if prophets are interpreters of God then he must be happy with the way the world is going because he has not sent a prophet to help guide us in the ever changing times since Jesus.

best friend

Islam is not a new religion. It is in essence the same message and guidance which Allah revealed to all His Prophets.

Allah says in the quran...
“Say: We believe in Allah (God Almighty) and that which was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes and that which was given to Moses and Jesus and to the Prophets from their Lord; we make no distinction between any of them, and to Him (God) we submit.” (Holy Qur’an 3:83)

classz123

Muslims see Jesus as a praphet but say it is blashphemy to call Jesus the son of God. The qu'ran makes so mentions of Jesus, there is a chapter titled Mary discussing Jesus. They also acknowledge his Virgin Birth.
If anyone was wondering

Rex

Founder
classz123 said:
Muslims see Jesus as a praphet but say it is blashphemy to call Jesus the son of God. The qu'ran makes so mentions of Jesus, there is a chapter titled Mary discussing Jesus. They also acknowledge his Virgin Birth.
If anyone was wondering

they acknowledge the virgin birth? for real?

Runt

What i dont understand is why did God have so many prophets? Did he make some mistakes with earlier prophets and he needed to correct those mistakes with later prophets?

Perhaps It had so many different prophets because It needed to set each culture and time period on track after they began to stray. We as humans have a tendency to misinterpret or disbelieve the knowledge given to us by earlier prophets simply because their words are not contemporary (they do not describe the world in ways we believe to be applicable to our present society). When a prophet is contemporary we may hear their words for ourselves, or get second hand accounts of their words. We KNOW they exist, even if we are not sure what they say really comes from God. We are constantly reminded of their presence. However, after they die, and we begin passing the stories down to our children and their children and their children, our descendants begin to wonder if the person really DID exist, if they really DID say what they said, if their words really DO apply to the modern world.

Also, the world changes. Perhaps God has many different prophets to give advice or explain the spiritual reality in terms that the present society can understand, thus setting them back on track if they began to stray.

What I don't understand is why, if my earlier idea is true (which it may not be), God's last prophet was Muhammad and there will be none after him. This kinda DEFEATS my earlier idea... you know?