• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How does Hinduism explain Deja Vu?

askersha

I am damn serious about it.

Deja Vu is something even psychology or neurology DON'T acknowledge, unless a psychologist or neurologist falls into it. But then, s/he becomes unable to see it scientifically any longer.

A religious researcher like me at least knows that Deja Vu does have direct or indirect link with religion.

Sufiism gives a rather convincing explanation of Deja Vu. According to Sufiism, before we were born, we were shown what will happen to us if we take a given decision. Its flashback is Deja Vu.

The problem is that our minds cannot take a decision other than what the Creator had created it to. i.e., we do not have a free will. Then why are we being uselessly thrown in Deja Vu?

Hinduism relates Deja Vu as flashbacks of past births. But why would two incarnations be exactly the same?

So any answers please?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hinduism relates Deja Vu as flashbacks of past births. But why would two incarnations be exactly the same?

So any answers please?

As with Makaranda, I've never heard of this either, although I don't doubt that someone (I always try to consider the source) has proposed it.

Personally, I think the brain encounters enough similarities to a previous experience that it feels odd. The conscious mind (immediqte awareness) isn't always aware of what is in the subconcious (memory). So it's similar to how the smell of a certain food triggers a memory. But of course this could be wrong.

Regardless, most mystically inclined Hindus don't put a lot of stock in such things because they are practically daily occurrences, along with good timing, intuition, etc. Eventually we just say, "Oh yeah, this again, so what."

askersha

Thank you for your answers.

OK. let's not relate Deja Vu with Hinduism in this way. But with the reality that many people feel it. I've been feeling it for years... without a break!

Now since Hinduism claims to be a quest towards the ultimate truth, "Truth Always Wins", what is the truth of deja vu? What makes it occur?

Personally, I think the brain encounters enough similarities to a previous experience that it feels odd. The conscious mind (immediqte awareness) isn't always aware of what is in the subconcious (memory). So it's similar to how the smell of a certain food triggers a memory. But of course this could be wrong.

Regardless, most mystically inclined Hindus don't put a lot of stock in such things because they are practically daily occurrences, along with good timing, intuition, etc. Eventually we just say, "Oh yeah, this again, so what."

But what is the source of "this again"? Does it have any meaning? Why does it start bothering at times? Are you sure it is not related to "evil" or "good" in any way? How long will it continue? DOES IT HAVE A CURE?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But what is the source of "this again"? Does it have any meaning? Why does it start bothering at times? Are you sure it is not related to "evil" or "good" in any way? How long will it continue? DOES IT HAVE A CURE?

Life, I guess. This stuff happens ALL the time. Most Hindus I know are just used to it. The source of everything is Siva (I'm a Saivite, but for others it would be God). In Hinduism it is never related to evil or good, for there is no intrinsic evil in Hinduism.
From the Hindu perspective, it will continue forever, even intensify. There is no reason to cure it as the superconscious mind is actually the natural state of the mind. Most of us just aren't there yet. The cure, if that word could be used in this way, is self-realisation, then moksha.

I'm not at all sure if my POV is helpful at all. :) I'm not really sure what the problem is. I certainly don't view mystical events as a problem.

askersha

Life, I guess. This stuff happens ALL the time. Most Hindus I know are just used to it. The source of everything is Siva (I'm a Saivite, but for others it would be God). In Hinduism it is never related to evil or good, for there is no intrinsic evil in Hinduism.
From the Hindu perspective, it will continue forever, even intensify. There is no reason to cure it as the superconscious mind is actually the natural state of the mind. Most of us just aren't there yet. The cure, if that word could be used in this way, is self-realisation, then moksha.

I'm not at all sure if my POV is helpful at all. :) I'm not really sure what the problem is. I certainly don't view mystical events as a problem.

Really interesting. I would like to know more in this context. I want to relate what you said with Hindu scriptures. So I am continuing with the same topic with a little modification to Religion and Science section..... There, I hope to get more opinions.

jtartar

Deja Vu is something even psychology or neurology DON'T acknowledge, unless a psychologist or neurologist falls into it. But then, s/he becomes unable to see it scientifically any longer.

A religious researcher like me at least knows that Deja Vu does have direct or indirect link with religion.

Sufiism gives a rather convincing explanation of Deja Vu. According to Sufiism, before we were born, we were shown what will happen to us if we take a given decision. Its flashback is Deja Vu.

The problem is that our minds cannot take a decision other than what the Creator had created it to. i.e., we do not have a free will. Then why are we being uselessly thrown in Deja Vu?

So any answers please?

askersha,
They say it is the same thing over again!!

i would like to know background of deja vu in hinduism...if anythng related to tht kindly reply me!!!.....

i have experienced deja vu lots of time.....almost twice a week when i ws 15 yrs old n continued same till 18.....at tht time i told noone...i thought no one will believe....n many times because of deja vu...i chnged the things going to happen next...like saving friend from falling or child running towards road...n the most accurate was when i managed to save a friend from pencil when accidently it ws going to injure his eye.... ..today deja vu happens once a month or once in couple of months....quantity has decreased a lot....i feel the previous phase was much better....now i have dreams ...i managed to interpret before bt nt now ..as i m nt getting tht mch sleep to have dreams of longer duration as before!!! ....i want to research about dreams and deja vu from each part of corner ....kindly help me!!....

i believe future has been writtn already....it s just least of us might able to interpret it through deja vu or dreams.......n if u need to act at the perticular moment...to drag ur concerntration ..deja vu happns....or v cn believe tht the course of our act following deja vu changes consequence of future as per requirment!!....requirment of world to go on....as each n evrythng is interconnected to evryone!!!.....evryone is connected ........one action changes paths to all other...doesnt mattr where happened .....only matter is time...when happened!!!....it will make a web of consequence lead to ultimate huge event

I've considered this as well. Especially if the pre-birth-planning process
involves some kind of dry-run / dress-rehearsal prior to going live.

Another possibility is that we can reincarnate into the same life. This would
definitely explain moments of feeling like we've "done this before".

-

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

So any answers please?
Who said they don't acknowledge it? Here is a recent study
Mystery of déjà vu explained – it’s how we check our memories
It's preferable to go for a mundane explanation when one is available rather than an esoteric one.

as per my research i think deja vu is because of parallel universes.....parallel universe have time limitation...not parallel as per time....some has more advanced n some r not....like...from here billions of lightyear away..galaxy like us having earth habitate by dinosaurs ....one more is having humans who might b living in 3211th year!!!......so deja vu is because of the person having same dna on another earth experienced tht thing a long ago....visualised to us as for warning to be cautious at tht time!!!...may b!!!

Vaderecta

So any answers please?

I'm not going waste time debating past lives or reincarnation. You are not reincarnated or have any past lives. If you have experienced déjà vu check out wikipedia. Search for the controversial section that explains its completely likely we are reborn and have lived many of lives and that is the accepted answer. I'm not being mean but you won't find that section. I ask the same exact questions in person to my indian friends who explain déjà vu to me. (And also of the tree in india which has a leaf that foretells my death and future)

You are researching religion and it's connection to déjà vu and thus finding connections to religion. It's not unexpected.

I agree with you on free will though. (We don't have free will but rather the illusion of free will)