• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Does God Manifest herself/himself Today?

Lightkeeper

We are aware of the OT God and that in those times God supposedly made himself/herself present and heard. How is God manifested today? Is God making her/his presence known?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Given the bad things God caused to happen in the OT (e.g. the Flood), I'd be quite content if He were not manifesting Himself in history today.

No*s

Captain Obvious
Lightkeeper said:
We are aware of the OT God and that in those times God supposedly made himself/herself present and heard. How is God manifested today? Is God making her/his presence known?

Yes, I believe so. Obviously, I believe the teachings of the Church count. I can also add the act of Holy Fire as a manifestation. There are godly elders and things, and saints even up until recent times who have had visions and whatnot. It's not exactly common, but then, I don't think it was common in the ancient world either :).

dan

God speaks to prophets and Apostles today as He has throughout the history of the world. He has no need to change His pattern, but the world's opinion that He has ceased speaking to us falls perfectly into the pattern that can be observed throughout the scriptures of unbelief and apostasy. The idea that His nature has also changed is another example of men leaning on their own understanding rather than leaning on the word of God. Isaiah calls it fearing the commandments of men rather than fearing God.

oracle

I don't think God speaks to anybody literally. I think the "speaking" is entirely a subjective revelation. Then you have people with these revelations who say "this is the way it is, this is how it has to be, and everyone must accept MY revelation" [I used to be this way, but now I understand that God for all of us is personal]. We all percieve God in our own personal ways, God "speaks" to each of us differently. God is objectively manifest throughout all creation, truth is revealed through nature.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I was going to say by allowing humans to 'Love' - and I mean that in the 'platonic' sense; now I've written it, it feels 'feeble', but I guess that is how I feel.:eek:

cardero

Citizen Mod
I think GOD always manifested Himself to people personally/differently. I do not believe it is GOD’s choice to discern who He is going to have a REALationship with. I believe we all have the ability to find our own connection and make our own introduction. It is up to each individual to decide how, when and what they would desire to K(NOW) about GOD.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
At risk of being labelled a Pantheist (not that there's anything wrong with that :p) I would say God is manifested in nature.

Lightkeeper

When you think about it, we have the same events happening that happened in OT times, we interpret them differently. I agree with God being manifested in nature. Compassion is another manifestation. When we forget about ourselves to help someone else, when we encourage, when we teach and share wisdom, when we are healed and renewed and new lives are born, we can interpret it as a manifestation of God.

Natural Submission

Sunstone said:
Given the bad things God caused to happen in the OT (e.g. the Flood), I'd be quite content if He were not manifesting Himself in history today.

Incorrect. It was MANKIND that caused these things to happen. Point the finger where it belongs, God is not our scapegoat.

Dr. Khan

JOHN 14:21to 26 gives you a verbal discription of how God manifests himself to us according to the Words of Jesus. Since I have experienced this for myself, I can say that it is true. When I first saw it in the bible after being filled with the Spirit I greatly craved it for myself. This is another discription of which David provides when He declares in Psalm19:7-9. God is manifest to us by his Word. Remember John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God.

Dr. Khan

If God did not manifest himself to us according to Jesus, that is according to the Word then we are bound to enter into error, as it is typical of man to be presumpious. But Jesus makes it clear in John 14 the requirements to experience Him on this level. This is why Jesus told Nicidemus You must be born again to see the Kingdom of God.

Lightkeeper

Dr. Khan said:
If God did not manifest himself to us according to Jesus, that is according to the Word then we are bound to enter into error, as it is typical of man to be presumpious. But Jesus makes it clear in John 14 the requirements to experience Him on this level. This is why Jesus told Nicidemus You must be born again to see the Kingdom of God.
Some people never stop seeing.