• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you 'view' the bible ?

How do you 'View' The bible ?

• A totally accurate book of commandments

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • An accurate historical book of commandments containing metaphors

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • An accurate 'Guide to good living' Manual

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • A Book full of metaphors to be used as a guide

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I do not think the Bible has anything to offer me

Votes: 18 36.0%

• Total voters
Net Doc, John 14:24-27 was spoken to the Apostles. Read also John 15:26 and 16:7,13. If you think this applies to you, why do you need a Bible? They didn't need one in that the very Word of God was in them by means of the Holy Spirit. When the complete revelation was given and written down, there would be no more need for this gift. ( John 20:30,31; I Corinthians 13:8-13; Ephesians 6:11-16) Also I find it interesting that a number of religions claim to be directed literally by the Holy Spirit in their teaching and preaching. If directed by the Holy Spirit, why are they not in perfect agreement with each other? There messages are at times in direct opposition to one another. Another point needs to be considered. The Bible not only claims to be the Word of God but claims to be "the power of God." (Romans 1:16) It likewise claims to give us "all things that pertain unto life and godliness" (2 Peter 1:3) If the Bible needs help from the Holy Spirit in order for us to understand it, this would mean God was unable to give us a Book that each of us could understand (Ephesians 5:17), thus making the very words that the Holy Spirit Himself used in its formation powerless. (cf. I Corinthians 2:11-16)
Prosecutor

Fluffy

A fool
If there was a "hopelessly inaccurate but contains some of the most important matters upon which one needs to lead a good life" option then I would tick it. Just because I think most of it is incorrect doesn't mean I can't appreciate its immense good points.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Yo Prosecuter,

God has given his Spirit to EVERY Christian. He has given us everything we need to live Godly lives (Ephesians 1). You can lead a Christian to the Spiritual Waters, but you can't make him drink!

Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off--for all whom the Lord our God will call."

So are you saying we DON'T fit in this promise after all? :D

Net Doc, "the gift of the Holy Spirit" I believe to be salvation. This passage has been debated over the ages. The interpretations are as follows: (1) The "gift" is what the Holy Spirit gives, not the Holy Spirit Himself. This could be (a) salvation; (b) the ability to perform miracles (Acts 10:45) but limited to the first century or (c) the abilty to perform miracles in the first century and even now in our time;
(2) The "gift" is a literal indwelling of the Holy Spirit given to all converts at the moment of their conversion. This indwelling, while non-miraculous, does assist the believer is some way. This seems to cover the area known to me.

First I reject totally the idea that anyone today can perform a miracle by means of power give them by the Holy Spirit (or any other source). Second, I reject the idea that the Holy Spirit literally indwells in anyone. To say He does means a person would be both divine and human. You cannot have "diety" (the Holy Spirit) literally in you and not be divine. The only one on record who was both divine and human (diety in human flesh) was Christ and it took a virgin birth for that to happen. Third, I do believe the Holy Spirit indwells the Christian but only through the Word. We read where Christ is in us and we read where God is in us and we read where the Holy Spirit is in us. Everything we do must be directed by the Word of God. When we follow the Word, the fruits of the Spirit" (Galatians 5:22,23) will be seen in us.
Prosecutor

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
prosecutor said:
First I reject totally the idea that anyone today can perform a miracle by means of power give them by the Holy Spirit (or any other source).
Finally - common ground.

Scott1

michel said:
How do you 'view' the bible ?
The Bible is but one book, and this one book is Christ, "because all divine Scripture speaks of Christ, and all divine Scripture is fulfilled in Christ" (Hugh of St. Victor)

"The Sacred Scriptures contain the Word of God and, because they are inspired, they are truly the Word of God".

God is the author of Sacred Scripture because he inspired its human authors; he acts in them and by means of them. He thus gives assurance that their writings teach without error his saving truth.

Interpretation of the inspired Scripture must be attentive above all to what God wants to reveal through the sacred authors for our salvation. What comes from the Spirit is not fully "understood except by the Spirit's action' (Origen).

The Church accepts and venerates as inspired the 46 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New.

The four Gospels occupy a central place because Christ Jesus is their center.

The unity of the two Testaments proceeds from the unity of God's plan and his Revelation. The Old Testament prepares for the New and the New Testament fulfills the Old; the two shed light on each other; both are true Word of God.

"The Church has always venerated the divine Scriptures as she venerated the Body of the Lord" : both nourish and govern the whole Christian life. "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path" (Ps 119:105; cf. Is 50:4).

That about sums it up...;)
Scott

ayani

i find the Bible interesting and in places inspiring, but don't rely on it for spiritual guidance.

uu_sage

The Bible, while inspired of God, is a book written by humans in the language of humans to describe humanity's evolving understanding and relationship to God and how they wrestle with the big questions. I take the Bible seriously but not literally.

dorsk188

One-Eyed in Blindsville
Didn't find a suitable answer in the poll. I would have voted for any of these...

"Interesting historical relic filled with the mythology of the Middle East."
"Which Bible?"
"A horrifying read if you take it seriously."
"Not enough car chases."

The options given either presupposed that the Bible was good guide or that it was meaningless. And it's neither.

Alceste

Vagabond
I picked "nothing to offer me", but wanted to point out I only know this because I read it. My GOD what a bore. Any one of Terry Pratchett's books is a better "moral guide."

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I chose metaphors to be used as a guide.
A guide to what, exactly? A guide to what life was like for those so long ago, their culture, values, the problems they faced in life, etc, and how they saw the Divine.

Humanistheart

How do I view the bible? With distian. Have you read it? It's the most sickoning piece of fiction ever written by the hands of men. It has nothing to offer, except possibly as a guide of how Not to act.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Steve (Whom I have never 'met' ) hi Steve, namaste.
Steve used this sentence in another thread
"If you belive the Bible then its really the only conclusion you can come too after reading verses like the following,"
I am sure there is a great range of views as to how to 'view' the bible, ranging from one extreme of 'It's all a pack of lies, not worth a read' to the other extreme 'Every word is true and we cannot deviate from the Bible in any circumstance'; how do members of the forum view the Bible ? You can add comments on the reason you voted the way you did, if you wish.
I don't find the options on the poll sufficient. there are many people who have an interest in the Bible and don't fall on the two extremes of 'nothing to offer' or a divinely inspired guide. in fact i'm suspicious of people who say the text which inspired Da Vinci, Michelangelo, Dali, Leonard Cohen and Bob Dylan has absolutely nothing to offer them, I would suspect these people are somewhat shallow. and for those who treat it is a literal word of God, I would also accuse being shallow, and of lacking empathy to the human factor of the Bible.
To me the Bible is not a testament of God, but of human achievement and a work which in the right context can shed light on many fields of the humanities and social sciences. to throw away that treasury is to throw away our own history and heritage.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'
My view of Bible
1.Inaccurate as any other holy "book".(this happens bcos of time).
2.Intended for Guidance for being good.(has sometimes used as a guidance to kill others).
2.Metaphorical,has several level of meanings.
4.Obviously,historical.
Work of God??Every religion boasts abt its own holy book.Unprovable claim.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thesavorofpan

Is not going to save you.
The Bible is the only way we can know how God wants us to live our lifes. And not the teaching or the traditions of man. Colossians2:8

BruceDLimber

Greetings!

We Baha'is see the Bible as one of many God-sent scriptures, all of which serve the same purpose of guiding and enlightening humanity!

Basically, each Age has its own scriptures as religion (just as humanity) is an ever-evolving phenomenon.

Best, :)

Bruce