• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you view other faiths

arthra

Baha'i
In response to the question

"how do you view other faiths?"

My response is that I view the major world religions as having a common Divine origin...

Due to isolation of some and cultural issues as well as some varying rites or practices, many came to believe their religion was superior to others and that peoples of other religions should be shunned or separated from others due to laws of purity or defilement.

In this day however such attitudes of religious prejudice and pride have generated animosity and division:

We have erewhile declared -- and Our Word is the truth -- : "Consort with the followers of all religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship." Whatsoever hath led the children of men to shun one another, and hath caused dissensions and divisions amongst them, hath, through the revelation of these words, been nullified and abolished.

~ Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 94

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
it seems when i told my one muslim friend on facebook i was becoming hindu he kept trying o convince me to be muslim

When someone is changing faiths, it suggests a malleability. Perfect time to try and convert someone. If you've made one change, why not another?

I don't think its malevolent in any way, its just opportunism.

I wish you luck on your new path! I hope you find all the wisdom you can from it.

-Peacemaker-

.45 Cal
I have respect for agnosticism as I understand it. The believe in God but they say he's distant and unknowable. This would be a truth found in Christianity as well

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
because i agree with its teachings. i believe in karma,god does not create heaven and hell we do by our actions, i belive in one almighty god with many names,i believe there are many ways to god,that god lives in us all

Those teachings I subscribe to also.
However I dislike the caste system, hindu ritualism and superstitions as well as the dogma of the "infallible" veda's.
That's why I could never be a hindu in the limited sense.
I prefer the more universal and mystical faiths over the more dogmatic, narrow minded and xenophobic ones.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Sometimes what is meant by not befriending non-Muslims is that some people, in order to 'show' others Islam and teach them about it, they go beyond the limits and go with their Muslim or non-Muslim friends to places where it is prohibited for us or they give in to non-Islamic practices.

I know people who use this as an excuse to me and with me. They hang out with people who are not religious (by that I mean Muslims) and give into haram (prohibited) things and when I stay away from such people and the things which they do I have people coming to me and saying that we must inform people about Islam so it's our duty to hang out with them and visit them. The informing part is OK so long as you don't commit sins in the process.

If as a Muslim you go night clubbing or commit adultery or take drugs and what not and then your excuse is well I was informing them about Islam, it just doesn't cut it.

There is in Islam a friendship barrier, our Prophet peace be upon him has said that instead of being in the company of bad people, be by yourself. But instead of being by yourself, be in the company of good people. (tried to find the reference but had no luck)

Now when it comes to our scholars advising us, we all become scholars ourselves. As one brother who studies in the University of Madinah puts it "If by reading a book or hadith you become a scholar then by all means let me read a medical book on heart surgery and let me operate on you when you have heart problems"

We wouldn't allow our kids to hang around gangsters and drug dealers because they are kids and don't know better, well if we knew better we would be scholars too. So since they know more, listen to them.

Yes the Prophet peace be upon him dealt with non-Muslims, he had treaties with them and everything, but he never joined them in what they used to do, instead if they wanted to be friends with him just as much he wanted to be friends with them, then they should join him and not the other way around. Muslims nowadays, use all kinds of excuses as I mentioned, however, you should know that if you are one person and join a group of people who do things which you wouldn't normally do, then eventually you will do as they do.

Ali radiallahu anhu wasn't wrong when he said, "Tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are."

The article which I posted earlier explains that we should not shut out non-Muslims, they are a creation of Allah just as us and Islam has come for them just as much as it has for us, it is our duty to love the creation of Allah and not hate it, He is the creator, if he is OK with their existence who the hell are we to say otherwise.

But the article doesn't really emphasize the point that we should refrain from haram during such friendships, what I mean is that a male and female Muslim wouldn't just hang out and talk, so why when it comes to a Muslim and non-Muslim of the opposite gender this point isn't emphasized? Some how it becomes OK.

I've probably gone off the rails on what I was saying at the start and what I've finished with (not a surprise), but thanks for reading.

Aquitaine

eselam said:
If as a Muslim you go night clubbing or commit adultery or take drugs and what not and then your excuse is well I was informing them about Islam, it just doesn't cut it.

I know plenty of Muslims on RF who smoke and drink Coffee etc, whilst still catagorizing themselves as "true" Muslims :/

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

I know plenty of Muslims on RF who smoke and drink Coffee etc, whilst still catagorizing themselves as "true" Muslims :/

I didn't mention anything about smoking or drinking coffee or the "truthfulness" of any Muslim.

Are you asking a question if such people are "true" Muslims or are you implying that I have accused those listed as not being real Muslims?

Aquitaine

I didn't mention anything about smoking or drinking coffee or the "truthfulness" of any Muslim.

Are you asking a question if such people are "true" Muslims or are you implying that I have accused those listed as not being real Muslims?

I suppose I am asking if you see Muslims who take drugs, as "fake" Muslims, if ya get me?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

I suppose I am asking if you see Muslims who take drugs, as "fake" Muslims, if ya get me?

To be honest that's not my call to make, what gave you the idea that I have the authority to decide who is a real Muslim and who isn't? Every sin has it's place and every Muslim commits sins.

If you are interested in such Islamic matters as what nullifies a persons belief etc then we should discuss that on another thread so that I can post Islamic articles by scholars who deal with the concept of belief, correct and incorrect belief.

Aquitaine

To be honest that's not my call to make, what gave you the idea that I have the authority to decide who is a real Muslim and who isn't? Every sin has it's place and every Muslim commits sins.

If you are interested in such Islamic matters as what nullifies a persons belief etc then we should discuss that on another thread so that I can post Islamic articles by scholars who deal with the concept of belief, correct and incorrect belief.

My God...... you must be one of the first Muslims on RF who's stated that they don't have the authority to decide who is a "real" Muslim and who is not! More often than not, all I ever hear on RF is "They're not *true* Muslims, because of x-reason!".

Kudos to you, eselam!

xD

Reverend Richard

New Thought Minister
it seems when i told my one muslim friend on facebook i was becoming hindu he kept trying o convince me to be muslim

Very late in my life (I'm in my early 60s) I find I have become a student of comparative religion, and in the process I became an ordained New Thought minister. New Thought is a relatively obscure denomination, but the beginnings of New Thought philosophy can be traced back to the 1800s and has its roots in Christianity. However, I don't think most conservative Christians would think of me as such.

There is no dogma associated with New Thought and in fact if you begin to analyze New Thought, you can see traces of Christianity, Hinduism, and even Buddhism.

From that perspective, I believe all faiths have something to offer us.

So many religions, so little time!

Gharib

I want Khilafah back

My God...... you must be one of the first Muslims on RF who's stated that they don't have the authority to decide who is a "real" Muslim and who is not! More often than not, all I ever hear on RF is "They're not *true* Muslims, because of x-reason!".

Kudos to you, eselam!

xD

To be honest maybe I'm not as innocent as you think, but I'm learning and am making good progress I think. :D

nameless

The Creator
Those teachings I subscribe to also.
However I dislike the caste system
caste system is not a hindu thing, you should quote from scriptures to prove it otherwise, caste systems even exists in christian communities in india, its a cultural thing.

Bismillah

Submit
I wonder if Muslims can say a gay Muslim is not a Muslim?
A Muslim is simply one who believes in the Shahada "There is no God but God and Muhammad is his Messenger".

A person who affirms in this is a Muslim be it a gambler, drinker, thief, homosexual, or adulterer. One only apostatizes when he no longer believes in the Qur'an.

robo

A Muslim is simply one who believes in the Shahada "There is no God but God and Muhammad is his Messenger".

You are right but the caveat is that this is the Shahada now.

Prior to the birth of Mohammed, the Shahada was "There is no God but God and Jesus is his Messenger." These people, if they exist now, will not be Muslim because the Shahada has changed. :(

I made a thread on this http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/religious-debates/131741-islamic-shahada-keeps-changing.html

F0uad

You are right but the caveat is that this is the Shahada now.

Prior to the birth of Mohammed, the Shahada was "There is no God but God and Jesus is his Messenger." These people, if they exist now, will not be Muslim because the Shahada has changed. :(

I made a thread on this http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/religious-debates/131741-islamic-shahada-keeps-changing.html

We belief that Jesus(pbuh) and all the previous prophets/messengers were muslims even there followers. If you took a quick look on your own thread you would find answers to your question. If those followers were put in this time and rejected Mohammed(saws) yes they would not be Muslims.