• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you view other faiths

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
He agrees i know i shouldn't speak on the behalf of him.

However you miss the point, the Quran is clear that you have to accept the Quran and Allah's(swt) Messengers.

No problem brother, thanks.

Remember what I said in the other thread about everyone interpreting things based on their understanding? This is the opposite of that, we both accept the ruling of the Prophet of Allah and that of the scholars, so you knew what my answer would be.

Anyway back to the Title:

I view some religions as monotheistic but that doesn't change the fact they aren't muslims.

I agree.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
So? They're not Muslims. That shouldn't make us think any differently of their faith anyway. We may not agree with them, but IMO we respect and recognize their faiths. Remember, they think they're just as right as Muslims do. :)

Although I mostly agree, I must say that it depends on the circumstances and situation.

One thing I don't agree with (maybe due to my lack of understanding of what you mean) is that we should view their faith the same? If you are saying that we should view their faiths the same as Islam (our faith) then that's incorrect.

You can't view something in a way that contradicts Islam (Qur'an and hadith), so we view Islam as being true, while we view other faiths as false. We can't say that We view Isa salallahu alayhi wa salam in the same way as Christians do.

However, I do acknowledge that I most probably have misunderstood your statement and that it's not what you are saying.

Sahar

I think this is an entirely-personal issue, and no one has the right to determine who Muslims (or people of any other faith/lack thereof) should or shouldn't befriend.

If someone personally wants to do something, I neither have the right to stop them nor would I, but I don't particularly appreciate being dictated what to do in my personal life.
This is strange! If Islam doesn't have a say in our personal lives, it will have its say in what exactly?!
Come on, Islam draws the guideline for the most intimate and private moments between the husband and the wife!

Why shouldn't the scholars teach you how to choose your life companion, or your friends based on the Qur'an and the Sunnah? You must know that there are teachings in the Sunnah about friendship and it can't be surprising.
Friendship and companionship are very important that they might bring you closer to your goal and to God or away from them. And absolutely they can't be viewed separately from the comprehensive principles of Islam.

The personal life comment is very strange.

confused453

It's hard for me to believe in any faith or religion just because there're too many of them, and they blame each other for being wrong. Few people tried to convert me to one region of another, and failed.

Sahar

It depends on the faith in question, what it teaches, and specific aspects of said faith.

• I don't think people have an obligation to respect other people's beliefs, opinions, or viewpoints, but rather respect their right to hold differing beliefs and opinions, in addition to their right to express them. As long as the difference in opinions doesn't negatively impact friendly communication, then I think that is what matters most.

• My view of respect doesn't necessarily overlap with respecting other people's beliefs; I can't respect every belief there is just because there are moral people who may follow it, and neither do I expect people to do that.

Respect is not about how much agreement is established between people who hold different beliefs and/or opinions; it is more about how well disagreements are handled, in my opinion. I may not agree with a person's beliefs -- and that inevitably happens when dealing with different types of people; not all people are the same -- but I respect their right to disagree. On the other hand, I don't think it is necessary to respect their beliefs as opposed to their right to hold said beliefs.
Great points, I agree. :)

cocolia42

This is strange! If Islam doesn't have a say in our personal lives, it will have its say in what exactly?!
Come on, Islam draws the guideline for the most intimate and private moments between the husband and the wife!

Why shouldn't the scholars teach you how to choose your life companion, or your friends based on the Qur'an and the Sunnah? You must know that there are teachings in the Sunnah about friendship and it can't be surprising.
Friendship and companionship are very important that they might bring you closer to your goal and to God or away from them. And absolutely they can't be viewed separately from the comprehensive principles of Islam.

I can understand a religion not wanting its followers to befriend non-believers because they (the followers) might be led astray. But I must say, if it weren't for a few Muslims befriending me (a Christian), I would not now be studying the Qur'an and contemplating converting. Islam is growing fast now and I am certain part of it is due to Muslims being in contact with people of other faiths (both in mixed societies and over the internet).

Bismillah

Submit
Different paths may lead to recognition and obedience of Allah, Islam is the path best laid out to reach that endeavor.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Although I mostly agree, I must say that it depends on the circumstances and situation.

One thing I don't agree with (maybe due to my lack of understanding of what you mean) is that we should view their faith the same? If you are saying that we should view their faiths the same as Islam (our faith) then that's incorrect.

You can't view something in a way that contradicts Islam (Qur'an and hadith), so we view Islam as being true, while we view other faiths as false. We can't say that We view Isa salallahu alayhi wa salam in the same way as Christians do.

However, I do acknowledge that I most probably have misunderstood your statement and that it's not what you are saying.

You're correct, that's not what I'm saying (and I worded it poorly, so I apologize for that). :p
A few of us were discussing this and perhaps I should have used the word "tolerance" for other faiths. While we definitely don't agree with their faith, we should tolerate it.

Does that make more sense? :)

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
You're correct, that's not what I'm saying (and I worded it poorly, so I apologize for that). :p
A few of us were discussing this and perhaps I should have used the word "tolerance" for other faiths. While we definitely don't agree with their faith, we should tolerate it.

Does that make more sense? :)

I thought by 'correct' you meant I understood your statement, but unfortunately no. :eek:

But yeah that makes better sense. Thanks.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Salaam, sister.

The point I was getting at may better be explained by this addendum that I wrote to further clarify my post:

(Although other people are also free to listen to such scholars, of course; just as long as they don't force their views on me or on anyone else, then they can believe whatever they want.)

The bold part pertains to the issue at hand: it is a scholar's duty to educate people on their religion and try to make clear all issues related to living, worship, and social life in light of said religion's teachings; if a scholar doesn't get to do that, then who else would?

However, I don't think that anyone has the right to force people to act a certain way. I think that informing Muslims about the hadiths that you mentioned about friendships, for example, is the most important part -- then Muslims should get the chance to make their own decisions after being informed about those hadiths without anyone forcing them to be friends with 'X' or cut ties with 'Y'; that now becomes their decision, and a personal one at that.

Does that help clarify what I meant? :)

Last edited:

Sahar

I can understand a religion not wanting its followers to befriend non-believers because they (the followers) might be led astray. But I must say, if it weren't for a few Muslims befriending me (a Christian), I would not now be studying the Qur'an and contemplating converting. Islam is growing fast now and I am certain part of it is due to Muslims being in contact with people of other faiths (both in mixed societies and over the internet).
I didn't say Muslims should or shouldn't befriend non-Muslims but I was commenting on the part that says; it's personal and Islamic scholars have no say in this. My issue was basically with building a barrier between religion and our lives on the pretext that "it's personal".

Edit: I might have misunderstood Debater Slayer's point...

Pastek

Sunni muslim

You're right. Maybe she says that because she lives in a country with a majority of muslims.

I have many good friends who converted to Islam just by seeing us fasting during Ramadhan, or being invated for Aid (celebration's day) or after assisting to a prayer.
Or even after beeing in muslim countries for their holidays.

There are some good things that we can also learn us muslims, from the others.
Personnaly i like to see how jews and christians act in their faith, it can be interresting for my own faith. Why not ?

Sahar

Salaam, sister.

The point I was getting at may better be explained by this addendum that I wrote to further clarify my post:

The bold part pertains to the issue at hand: it is a scholar's duty to educate people on their religion and try to make clear all issues related to living, worship, and social life in light of said religion's teachings; if a scholar doesn't get to do that, then who else would?

However, I don't think that anyone has the right to force people to act a certain way. I think that informing Muslims about the hadiths that you mentioned about friendships, for example, is the most important part -- then Muslims should get the chance to make their own decisions after being informed about those hadiths without anyone forcing them to be friends with 'X' or cut ties with 'Y'; that now becomes their decision, and a personal one at that.

Does that help clarify what I meant? :)
The idea of forcing is a completely different issue, how scholars can force you anyway!

If this is what you meant, I don't think we disagree...

Maybe she says that because she lives in a country with a majority of muslims.
I said what?! :)

Last edited:

F0uad

I think befriending other religions is a must to accomplishing Dawah where the person converts to islam, i mean if someone sees you as a outsider or a ''enemy'' what are the chances that he will come to your side.. Almost zero.

There are specific verses in the Quran that talks about not befriending Jews or Christians however if you read these them in there historical context you will come to the conclusion that we should befriend Christians and Jews.

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I was talking about the dialogue

Originally Posted by Debater Slayer
I think this is an entirely-personal issue, and no one has the right to determine who Muslims (or people of any other faith/lack thereof) should or shouldn't befriend.

If someone personally wants to do something, I neither have the right to stop them nor would I, but I don't particularly appreciate being dictated what to do in my personal life.

Maybe i misunderstood you. Wasn't you talking about the fact that we can only be friends with people believing in God , or from our faith more than the others ?
Was you saying that a muslim friend bring us more to God than a non muslim ?

robo

it seems when i told my one muslim friend on facebook i was becoming hindu he kept trying o convince me to be muslim

Now that this has been moved to the Religions Debates section...here goes.

IMHO, Muslims' view of people of other faiths can be derived based on available evidence. Evidence include:

(1)Death penalty for apostasy under Shariah.

(2)Illegality of building churches, synagogues, etc., teaching of evolution in schools and preaching of other faiths in Muslim lands.

Based on this evidence, it appears to me that EITHER:

(a)Muslims are absolutely 100% sure that their religion is the right one and all other religions are wrong and out of supreme love for their fellow human being so that he does not burn in eternal hellfire where Allah will burn, regrow skin and reburn, they want to prevent people from embracing other faiths.

OR

(b)Muslims are extremely diffident about their religion and are afraid of other religions. As a result, they do not want stronger competition of other religions so that their fellow Muslims deconvert out of Islam. They seem to think that the best way to prevent fellow Muslims from deconverting out of Islam is to prevent non-Muslim religions from being preached in Muslim countries. However, this technique does not seem to be working in today's internet age where information is easily available. For instance, Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain is a popular ex-Muslim website, where many Muslims who have apostasized come to share their views, anonymously of course as their lives otherwise would be in danger.

This is IMHO. I am willing to be corrected. :p

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Here is a good article from OnIslam.net on this issue:

Question.
Salam. I was wondering what I should be doing in this situation. At my job, someone I work with is a Buddhist. She is constantly talking about her religion and what she believes. She knows my religion and as a Muslim, I know I can't put down anyone else's religion. But is it haram (forbidden) to listen and nod politely when other people are talking about theirs and their beliefs? I always think in my mind that my beliefs and religion are true and I don't even think about what she is saying only to be polite. What can I do in this situation? Please help, Jazaka Allah.

Answer.
Salam Sister,

I pray to Allah to reward you for your awareness, and to guide you with His mercy to the best.

Instead of answering your question by focusing solely on the point you have raised, let us examine the broad picture in regards to this issue.

I assume that you are aware of the universality of Islam. Islam is the final message of Allah, with a discourse directed to all mankind; it is not a nationalist faith, and its mercy and good is not limited to Muslims. Allah says in the Noble Quran:
(Say: "O mankind! I am sent unto you all, as the Messenger of God...) (Al-A`raf 7:158)

Allah in the Quran described the duty of the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) as:
(O Messenger! proclaim the (message) which hath been sent to thee from thy Lord...) (Al-Ma'idah 5:67)

By being Muslims and belonging to the Muslim Ummah (nation), conveying the message to others becomes our duty as well. Allah says:
(Ye are the best of peoples, evolved for mankind...) (Aal `Imran 3:110)

Allah also described the mission of the Prophet (peace be upon him) as:
(We sent thee not, but as a Mercy for all creatures.) (Al-Anbiyaa' 21:107)

Thus, the Prophet (peace be upon him) was the symbol of God’s mercy to all mankind. And because he is a mercy, the Prophet (peace be upon him) was kind to every one, believers and nonbelievers. He was kind and friendly to the nonbelievers of Makkah, despite of their violent opposition to Islam. He was also kind and friendly to those who followed him and supported his message.

The Prophet also had treaties with the Jews of Madinah. He respected these treaties until the Jews themselves broke them. Also he, with all manners of kindness, received in his mosque a Christian delegation from Najran. Although they argued with him about Islam, he even allowed them to pray in his mosque and returned them to Najran with honor and respect.

Allah firmly tells us what means:
(Ye have indeed in the Apostle of God a beautiful pattern (of conduct) for any one whose hope is in God and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of God.) (Al-Ahzab 33:21)

Consequently, it is among the qualities of good believers, to emulate the character of the Prophet, whom God Almighty has described in the Noble Quran as what means:
(And thou (standest) on an exalted standard of character) (Al-Qalam 68:4)

Obviously, conveying the message of Islam requires an interaction with others. The best form of interaction is that which is based on friendship, justice, and mutual respect. Therefore, a Muslim is allowed to take a non-Muslim for a friend. Allah says what means:
(God forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for God loveth those who are just.) (Al-Mumtahanah 60:8)

A friendship based on sincerity, kindness, respect, and justice produces good results. It allows the non-Muslim friends, business partners, colleagues, and neighbors to see the values of Islam. This will definitely bring them closer to the right path. Many of those who opposed the Prophet (peace be upon him) and fought him, later embraced Islam and followed him, only because of the Prophet's morals and kind manners toward others!

Good manners in dealing with people, therefore, are among the recommended practices that have been emphasized by our faith. The Prophet said:

"I was sent to complete the best manners."

Islam teaches us that we should deal even with our enemies with the best of manners, let alone our non-Muslim friends, or those who simply disagree with us.

For instance, Allah commanded us not to curse other faiths or what the others worship:
(Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides God, lest they out of spite revile God in their ignorance...) (Al-An`am 6:108)

Allah even teaches us how to act politely when others disrespect Him and mock the faith of Islam, as described in the following verse:
(Already has He sent you Word in the Book, that when ye hear the signs of God held in defiance and ridicule, ye are not to sit with them unless they turn to a different theme...) (An-Nisaa' 4:140)

Hence, in such cases, Allah asked us to leave politely and kindly, not to curse or attack them back, even - more important, not to abandon their company forever. Instead, He said, we are allowed to go back to their company once they change the subject. Evidently, the wisdom behind this kindly act is to enable us to convey the message of Islam by obliging them to respect our faith, at least in our presence. This, in itself, is an important step towards conveying the message.

In conclusion, regarding your specific situation, I believe one should view acting with the best of manners as an Islamic obligation. These good manners are important tools in demonstrating the values of Islam and practicing da`wah. I also believe that when the opportunity arises, to explain Islam to others, it is an obligation to be seized, and should be done with wisdom and the best of words.

Allah knows best. Thank you and please keep in touch.

Salam.

Manners with Non-Muslims - Interfaith Issues - counsels - OnIslam.net