• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you recognize religious propaganda?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
If we use the same measures to do it as you use to make scriptures unverifiable then yes.

Oh? Which scriptures have I rendered unverifiable and by what measures?

Or do you make it a habit of creating straw men to promote your religious agenda?

Filter

No definition, merely an example:

A school teaching the historical and philosophical impacts of any religion - education

A school starting the day by worship or prayer to some god - propaganda

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes I know. It is rather vague. That's why I ask.

The word religious in a generalization manner presents the problem. There is a legitimate concept of propaganda where dishonest non-factual information is promoted aggressively, and often in an institutional or governmental context. Also aggressively attacking other religions, races, cultures, and political views in the demanding absolute conformity without choice.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This can be be an accusation made by any religion against any other religion. This fits the response of most of the posts generally accusing everyone else of propaganda
And it's what we would expect if every religion was propagandizing but everyone was blind to their own. It doesn't imply that the accusations of propaganda are invalid.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I made no such generalization.
Yes you did. You did it right here:

This goes along with the line; 'If you do not conform to my belief' and, of course. 'my God' your obviously propaganda.

Again . . .

This can be be an accusation made by any religion against any other religion. This fits the response of most of the posts generally accusing everyone else of propaganda.

Not objectively meaningful.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Yes you did. You did it right here:

No, I was rejecting the generalization, and meaningful use of the phrase 'religious propaganda', and not supporting it.

My response was it represents a fallacy of faulty generalization, because it is too common for people to accuse others of 'religious propaganda,' because they do not believe as they do..

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The statement 'religious propaganda' is in and of itself vague and a generalization unless you put it into a greater context as to what is propaganda..
Well, no. "Religious propaganda" just means "propaganda that is religious." There's nothing in the term that suggests that all religions necessarily engage in religious propaganda.

Do you think that the term "blue car" suggests that anything that's blue must be a car?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Well, no. "Religious propaganda" just means "propaganda that is religious." There's nothing in the term that suggests that all religions necessarily engage in religious propaganda.

Do you think that the term "blue car" suggests that anything that's blue must be a car?

No, you're going beyond the original question with clarification. Your analogy concerns a physical object which does not apply. @Remté acknowledged the question was vague. References to a blue car is not vague, and could not be interpreted like 'religious prejudice.'

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, you're going beyond the original question with clarification. Your analogy concerns a physical object which does not apply. @Remté acknowledged the question was vague. References to a blue car is not vague, and could not be interpreted like 'religious prejudice.'
It was "religious propaganda"... regardless, I understand from your post that you felt the term was vague and decided to interpret it in the least charitable way. This still leaves us with you being the one to introduce the generalization just to smack it down.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It was "religious propaganda"... regardless, I understand from your post that you felt the term was vague and decided to interpret it in the least charitable way.

This still leaves us with you being the one to introduce the generalization just to smack it down.

I will give you points for persistence, but take them away for beating your head against stone wall stubbornness and splitting frog hairs for no meaningful reason.