• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you react to religious greetings?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

Didn't say you were, but there are some who do seem to want to hammer on the "Easter is Pagan" and "Christmas is Pagan" thing over and over. As if some people don't know the origins of certain traditions at all or should just drop the holidays because of an association. It's one thing to want to believe as you wish, however there are many who seem to think that everyone should also believe as they do and don't want to afford that freedom to others.

Agreed. What you are saying is right.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I am a Christian and I live in an area with a rather large Jewish and Muslim population (yes, right here in east Texas).

I personally celebrate Christmas and Easter, as well as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Palm Sunday, All Saints Day, Christmas vigil, Easter vigil, etc. and I love those holy days.

However, I know that they have no religious significance to many other people in my community. Therefore I usually stick with Happy Holidays (Holy Days is what that means, anyway) and go from there. If I know they are Jewish or Muslim or something else, and I realize they are celebrating some sort of holiday, I try to be sure to mention it and wish them well -even send a card to closer friends.

Why be abrasive? I don't hide my faith, but I don't feel it's Christ like to shove it down the throats of others either.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I am a Christian and I live in an area with a rather large Jewish and Muslim population (yes, right here in east Texas).

I personally celebrate Christmas and Easter, as well as Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Palm Sunday, All Saints Day, Christmas vigil, Easter vigil, etc. and I love those holy days.

However, I know that they have no religious significance to many other people in my community. Therefore I usually stick with Happy Holidays (Holy Days is what that means, anyway) and go from there. If I know they are Jewish or Muslim or something else, and I realize they are celebrating some sort of holiday, I try to be sure to mention it and wish them well -even send a card to closer friends.

Why be abrasive? I don't hide my faith, but I don't feel it's Christ like to shove it down the throats of others either.
It is not unchristlike to wish someone a Merry Christmas or something like that. I do that all the time and I will not stop. If someone does not like it, they can say "No thank you."

Kathryn

It is not unchristlike to wish someone a Merry Christmas or something like that. I do that all the time and I will not stop. If someone does not like it, they can say "No thank you."

You do whatever you want.

It's also not unChristlike to wish someone well during Ramadan.

Villager

I don't feel it's Christ like to shove it down the throats of others either.
Somebody did. 'Christmas' and 'Easter', as well as 'Ash Wednesday', 'Maundy Thursday', 'Good Friday', 'Palm Sunday', 'All Saints Day', 'Christmas vigil', 'Easter vigil', etc. would not exist but for mass shoving down throats. On pain of severe penalties, at times. So how does the not so Christ-like nature of shoving and coercion square with the existence of these religious observances?

Kathryn

When I celebrate these holy days with my family and friends, no one is forced or coerced in any way.

That's how our observation of these religious observances is squared with respect for others, and a Christlike approach and attitude.

Villager

When I celebrate these holy days with my family and friends, no one is forced or coerced in any way.
Coercion is illegal, these days, so that is'nt saying much, if anything. But when 'Christmas' and 'Easter', as well as 'Ash Wednesday', 'Maundy Thursday', 'Good Friday', 'Palm Sunday', 'All Saints Day', 'Christmas vigil', 'Easter vigil', etc. were devised, non-attendance at their observation was often illegal- and that, in the view of most people, is unChrist-like. So how did the observances of Christ arise from the unChrist-like?

Draka

Wonder Woman
I'm assuming that since Villager won't respond to me at all that he has me on ignore. :p Ah well, he seems a bit too bitter for my taste anyway.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Somebody did. 'Christmas' and 'Easter', as well as 'Ash Wednesday', 'Maundy Thursday', 'Good Friday', 'Palm Sunday', 'All Saints Day', 'Christmas vigil', 'Easter vigil', etc. would not exist but for mass shoving down throats. On pain of severe penalties, at times. So how does the not so Christ-like nature of shoving and coercion square with the existence of these religious observances?
Source please.

Kathryn

Coercion is illegal, these days, so that is'nt saying much, if anything. But when 'Christmas' and 'Easter', as well as 'Ash Wednesday', 'Maundy Thursday', 'Good Friday', 'Palm Sunday', 'All Saints Day', 'Christmas vigil', 'Easter vigil', etc. were devised, non-attendance at their observation was often illegal- and that, in the view of most people, is unChrist-like. So how did the observances of Christ arise from the unChrist-like?

Source, please.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"How do you react to religious greetings?"

I usually just scream, "IT BURNS!!!!!!!"

Not really. Sorry. Just wanted to use that before someone else did.