• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you react to religious greetings?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
You'd be safer throwing out Lent, Advent, Ash Wednesday, and the like. Easter and Christmas are the ones people most connect with Pagan holidays. It's a little more difficult to claim Maundy Thursday or Ash Wednesday are directly connected with a Pagan holiday.
But they're both connected with Easter, so they're still connected to Paganism, just removed by one extra step.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Let's admit, we're all so used to hearing "Merry Christmas" that having it said to us isn't really a surprise or anything to balk at. However, if a stranger were to greet you with "Happy Hanukkah" or "Have a Blessed Yule" or "Happy Diwali" most people, at least in the US, would hesitate. You know, I think I'm going to have to try that actually. Just randomly say "Have a Blessed Yule" to a complete stranger and see how they react. :p

That's how I see it.
last Christmas was my first Christmas (I'm sure there's a song with that title).
anyway, it didn't seem strange sending Christmas cards. my wife sends and receives them every year. I don't want to be the Scrooge of the holiday season. I like exchanging gifts with my wife, and also have long term plans for our upcoming Christmas gift from her family :D
see, as a Jewish man, I make sure to make the best out of Christmas :D

Draka

Wonder Woman
But they're both connected with Easter, so they're still connected to Paganism, just removed by one extra step.

They are connected with the event of Easter, which does parallel other myths of the Spring Equinox, but they are also separate days on their own to commemorate different things as well, like the Last Supper. So in that, they are soley Christian. They may appear to be "add-ons", but they are Christianity's add-ons :p

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
Let's admit, we're all so used to hearing "Merry Christmas" that having it said to us isn't really a surprise or anything to balk at. However, if a stranger were to greet you with "Happy Hanukkah" or "Have a Blessed Yule" or "Happy Diwali" most people, at least in the US, would hesitate. You know, I think I'm going to have to try that actually. Just randomly say "Have a Blessed Yule" to a complete stranger and see how they react. :p

I've initiated it a few times last year, particularly when I was feeling orney.

"Happy Hanukkah!"
"Um... I'm... um... not Jewish..."
"Really? That's too bad. Oh well. You know, there's still time to fix that!"

And then I walk off while humming.

But that isn't my normal routine. Normally I just say thanks and return it.

cablescavenger

I once had some Jehovah Witnesses knck my door, and I declined to invite them in but wished them a Merry Christmas.

I had not said it intentionally, but I did wonder if they thought I had, and if they were offended by it. I suspect not, but would have liked to know.

Draka

Wonder Woman
They are paganism's add-ons. Be perfectly clear, any religious event of this nature is pagan, as far as Christianity is concerned.

Honestly, as a Pagan, I can't seem to find a Last Supper "add-on" that I recognize. The myth of Jesus and his death and resurrection may be directly related to other gods and their deaths and resurrections, therefore the main celebrations of those things are based on the same premise, but the little "add-ons" are the differentiators of religions. They are, therefore, unique to the religions which have added them on.

Villager

Honestly, as a Pagan, I can't seem to find a Last Supper "add-on" that I recognize.
There's a difference between 'Pagan' and 'pagan', isn't there. Surely we don't have to make that clear?

There's no Last Supper event of this sort, anyway.

The myth of Jesus
If you show contempt for other points of view, poster, you will get no respect for your own, will you.

A

angellous_evangellous

I'm only irritated by all of those annoying Christian greetings.

I punch them in the face and pee on them while they're down.

I've been arrested a few times for this - you'd be surprised how many people were in for the same thing.

Draka

Wonder Woman
There's a difference between 'Pagan' and 'pagan', isn't there. Surely we don't have to make that clear?

There's no Last Supper event of this sort, anyway.
Not following here. Weren't you just saying that it was all pagan in origin? And are you saying that Maundy Thursday doesn't exist? Or are you saying there is no pagan equivolent to it? And wouldn't that mean it is solely Christian?

If you show contempt for other points of view, poster, you will get no respect for your own, will you.
What are you talking about? What contempt?

Draka

Wonder Woman
Easter is Pagan, not Christian.

In all fairness, one cannot really claim that Easter, as recognition of Jesus' resurrection, is Pagan unless one admits that the Christian myth itself is Pagan in origin. If one takes exception to the name of Easter as being connected to and stemming from the goddess Eostre and the day of Ostara then they can always stick to Pascha. If one believes in the resurrection of Jesus and that Easter marks and celebrates that day...then the day is Christian to them. If they do happen to partake in the Pagan traditions involving eggs and rabbits and Spring itself, then that is their choice and so be it. The origins of certain traditions and a name is not what truly makes a day mean anything to a person, but their own beliefs and importance they put on a day.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

In all fairness, one cannot really claim that Easter, as recognition of Jesus' resurrection, is Pagan unless one admits that the Christian myth itself is Pagan in origin. If one takes exception to the name of Easter as being connected to and stemming from the goddess Eostre and the day of Ostara then they can always stick to Pascha. If one believes in the resurrection of Jesus and that Easter marks and celebrates that day...then the day is Christian to them. If they do happen to partake in the Pagan traditions involving eggs and rabbits and Spring itself, then that is their choice and so be it. The origins of certain traditions and a name is not what truly makes a day mean anything to a person, but their own beliefs and importance they put on a day.

Jesus rose from the dead on the third day of Passover. If people want to avoid pagan things (no offense), they should celebrate then IMHO. :shrug:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Jesus rose from the dead on the third day of Passover. If people want to avoid pagan things (no offense), they should celebrate then IMHO. :shrug:

If people do connect Easter with being Pagan and they want to avoid Pagan things for some reason, then they are free to do that. However to insist that that everyone take the day the same way when others do attach a Christian religious meaning to it seems a bit unfair. Who is anyone to criticize or judge how another sees fit to practice or celebrate their religion just because they see it in a different light?

ohhcuppycakee

I generally don't get the Happy Easter greetings, but I sometimes get the Merry Christmas ones around that time of the year and I usually reply with something along the lines of "you too." I don't think someone saying the religious greetings to me is offensive at all.

IsmailaGodHasHeard

If people do connect Easter with being Pagan and they want to avoid Pagan things for some reason, then they are free to do that. However to insist that that everyone take the day the same way when others do attach a Christian religious meaning to it seems a bit unfair. Who is anyone to criticize or judge how another sees fit to practice or celebrate their religion just because they see it in a different light?

I am not trying to force others to be like me. I just want to believe as I wish. :)

Last edited:

Draka

Wonder Woman
I am not trying to force others to be like me. I just want to believe as I wish. :)

Didn't say you were, but there are some who do seem to want to hammer on the "Easter is Pagan" and "Christmas is Pagan" thing over and over. As if some people don't know the origins of certain traditions at all or should just drop the holidays because of an association. It's one thing to want to believe as you wish, however there are many who seem to think that everyone should also believe as they do and don't want to afford that freedom to others.