• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you react to religious greetings?

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I always respond with "you too!". Even if I don't celebrate the holiday. I have no idea why. :D

Actually a pretty safe reply in terms of 'doing the right thing' because if they are wishing you a happy whatever... it's important to them, so why not wish them a good whatever they get down to :D

Poisonshady313

Sometimes I'll answer by wishing them to have a pleasant Pesah or Rosh Shanah or Hanukkah or other Jewish holiday that coincides with the time of year.
I do that too.

If a Christian knows well enough to wish me a Happy Chanukah, I'll return it with a Merry Christmas.

Those folks who wear pins saying "wish me a merry Christmas" or 'it's ok to say merry Christmas" make me uneasy.

When I worked at a bookstore, unless I personally knew the customer, I would say "have a nice day" during the month of December.

Me Myself

Back to my username
I generaly respond with the same, but because I am in no particular religion, and I do think any day that is seemed as sacred is sacred, then I don´t feel like I am cheating on any ideology :D

A genuine "Thanks" seems proper enough, if it feel uncomfortable to yo to return the merry christmass, and a "great day to you too!" wouldn´t seem off to me.

Protester

Those are the sorts of people I'd be tempted to wish a happy Sol Invictus to just to rile them up a bit. :)

"Have a thoughtful Resurrection Sunday!"

2 Corinthians 2
14Now thanks be to God, who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and reveals through us the sweet aroma of his knowledge in every place. 15For we are a sweet aroma of Christ to God, in those who are saved, and in those who perish; 16to the one a stench from death to death; to the other a sweet aroma from life to life. Who is sufficient for these things? 17For we are not as so many, peddling the word of God. But as of sincerity, but as of God, in the sight of God, we speak in Christ.
---World English Bible

Oh, Happy Columbus Day, with of course apologies to any native Americans viewing this.:sorry1:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I dont get taken aback by Merry Christmas or Happy Easter because those might as well be non religious holidays as they are religions, (seein as both are on the same day as a pagan holiday as well).

I get taken aback when my step brother says "God bless you", partly just because I think he's doing it with the intention of wanting God to guide me back in the right direction, so it feels awkward. Otherwise, id doesnt bother me, and I can wish the same back to whomever wishes it to me.

I simply do not wish anything to anybody really. I just encourage them to "take it easy." That is after all, the main teaching of the disciplines I follow (Zen, Dzogchen).

I generally reply with whatever holiday it is. Canada is also pretty secular, so they are generally removed from their religious beginnings.

That being said, I'm so stoked for Dipavali, and looking forward to our annual temple's Govardhana Puja! :)

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
This question is primarily aimed at members of non-Christian religions in Christian-majority countries.

How do you deal with the "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Easter" greetings? What about generic ones like "Have a blessed day"?

Being in the south, most of the people I come across are Christians and are quick to offer a greeting of some sort. I actually think it's great; most of time they seem to be sincere and goodhearted.

I usually respond in kind or with a simple thank you. Usually.

Sometimes I'll answer by wishing them to have a pleasant Pesah or Rosh Shanah or Hanukkah or other Jewish holiday that coincides with the time of year.

I did manage to elicit a lot of strange looks a couple of weeks ago by wishing everybody a happy new year. It's a great feeling though when you find someone who, instead of looling at you like you've gone mad, replies with "Shanah Tovah!".

My wife and I send Christmas greeting cards to family, friends and colleagues.
I certainly don't plan to declare a cultural war on holidays which have been celebrated for-ever, secular or otherwise.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How is "have a blessed day" inherently religious? I'm not quite seeing it.

As 9-10ths Penguin pointed out earlier, some Christian holidays have become rather secularized in America, notably Christmas and to a lesser extent Easter. However, if you celebrate neither the religious nor the secularized variety, it's sort of awkward.

That said, it would seriously make my day if for once in my life someone wished me "Happy X" where "X" is a religious holiday I actually celebrate.

Draka

Wonder Woman
uh, Easter?

You'd be safer throwing out Lent, Advent, Ash Wednesday, and the like. Easter and Christmas are the ones people most connect with Pagan holidays. It's a little more difficult to claim Maundy Thursday or Ash Wednesday are directly connected with a Pagan holiday.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I say either "thanks, you too," or ignore them, depending on whether it's a chick with a nice rear, or somebody else.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Let's admit, we're all so used to hearing "Merry Christmas" that having it said to us isn't really a surprise or anything to balk at. However, if a stranger were to greet you with "Happy Hanukkah" or "Have a Blessed Yule" or "Happy Diwali" most people, at least in the US, would hesitate. You know, I think I'm going to have to try that actually. Just randomly say "Have a Blessed Yule" to a complete stranger and see how they react. :p