• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you pronounce "Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum&quo

Can someone please tell me how to PRONOUNCE Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum?
And what is the meaning of "Rex" as well as "Iudaeorum"
Everyone I asked seem to not know!

Thank u

God Bless

ErikaLee

The phrase all together means:

Jesus Christ King of the Jews.

I cannot tell you how to pronounce it easily here. lol. but I will try

eye-ee-sus
Naz-uh-ree-nuss
Rex
eye-oo-day-oh-rum

Now, I'm not certain about that, but I think I have it pretty close.

Rex means "King" and Iudaeorum means "Of The Jews"

No, I don't know this off the top of my head, I looked it up. Don't bless me, bless the internet. :)

This is what I used: http://www.quicklatin.com/

Enjoy!

EL

Runt

Here's what I learned about Latin pronounciation in about 10 years of Choir:

"a" in latin is always pronounced : "ah"
"e" : "A" (as in the letter)
"i" : "E" (as in the letter)
"o" : "O" (as in the letter)
"u" : "oo"
vowel combinations (ie, iu, aeo, etc) are generally pronounced one vowel at a time, but some, like "ae", take on the sound of the latter vowel.

"ie" : "ee-A"
"ae" : "A" as in "laetabitur" (lay-ta-bee-toor)
"iu" : "ee-oo" as in "derium" (day-ee-oom) and mysterium (meest-air-ee-oom)
"aeo" : "ah-A-oh"

Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum:

ee-A-soos
nahz-are-A-noos
rex
ee--oo-day-or-room

vijaya babu

So, If the name of the 'king of the Jews' is 'Iesus', then how come it is spelled as 'Jesus' in English? Please clarify!!!!

d.

_______
vijaya babu said:
So, If the name of the 'king of the Jews' is 'Iesus', then how come it is spelled as 'Jesus' in English? Please clarify!!!!

it's just an anglification of the name - in the same way that dostojevskij is spelled dostoyevsky in english-speaking countries. 'iesus' is in turn the latin version of 'yeshua'.

from wikipedia :

The name "Jesus" is an English transliteration of the Latin (Iēsus) which in turn comes from the Greek name (Ἰησοῦς). Since most scholars hold that Jesus was an Aramaic-speaking Jew living in Galilee around 30CE, it is highly improbable that he had a Greek personal name. Further examination of the Septuagint finds that the Greek, in turn, is a transliteration of the Hebrew name Yehoshua (יהושוע) or the shortened Hebrew/Aramaic Yeshua or Jeshua (ישוע). As a result, scholars believe that one of these was most likely the name that Jesus was known by during his lifetime by his peers.[15]

source

smartaleklsat48

...than "peer," in the explanation above.
Wikipedia wouldn't necessarily know or respect this, but I'm guessing most posters here would recognize that the Christ Jesus, I Am That I Am, the Alpha and Omega, Creator Lord, the Word incarnate, etcetc, would, by definition, have no "peer"s -- save (heh) the possible exceptions of God the Father and the Holy Spirit. ;)

(This is the internet; I should probably add that I hope it's clear that levity ≠ disrespect; I mean no offense to anyone, or anyOne, and apologize if it seems otherwise)

Oberon

Can someone please tell me how to PRONOUNCE Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum?
And what is the meaning of "Rex" as well as "Iudaeorum"
Everyone I asked seem to not know!

Thank u

God Bless

Okay, let's break this down:

Iesus nazarenus rex iudaeorum

Jesus.nom [the] nazarene.nom king.nom jew.gen.pl

Jesus the nazarene king of the jews

The latin letter "i" was often pronounced like a 'Y' and as jesus' name is a transliteration from aramiac it would be pronouced "yesous." This pronunciation of "i" is also true of "iudaeorum." The latin dipthong "ae" was pronounced like the "ai" in "aisle."

The phrase is latin. The "nom" designation I supplied above (e.g. Jesus.nom) refers to the nominative case, and gen. to the genitive. The genitive plural for Iudaeorum means in this case it is necessary to supply "of" in front of the plural "jews."

Last edited:

Oberon

Here's what I learned about Latin pronounciation in about 10 years of Choir:

That may be a problem. You were probably singing ecclesiastical latin, which is pronounced somewhat differently than classical latin.

"a" in latin is always pronounced : "ah"
"e" : "A" (as in the letter)
"i" : "E" (as in the letter)
"o" : "O" (as in the letter)
"u" : "oo"

a, e, i,o, and u, all had long and short pronunciations. The following are from Anne Mahoney's new addition of Allen and Greenough's New Latin Grammar.

Long "a" like father, short "a" like "idea"

Long "e" like a prolonged "eh?", or "a" as in "date", short "e" like a clipped eh? or "e" as in "net"

Long "i" like "machine", short like "sit"

Long "o" like "holy," short like "obey"

Long u like "boot" short lke "foot"

vowel combinations (ie, iu, aeo, etc) are generally pronounced one vowel at a time, but some, like "ae",
These are diphthongs.

"ae" : "A" as in "laetabitur" (lay-ta-bee-toor)

"ae" was probably pronounced much more like a long "i" in english, rather than a long "a." See e.g. Shelmerdine's introductory latin textbook or the latest edition of "wheelock's latin."

"aeo" : "ah-A-oh"

probably "I-oh" would be closer. When you have a dipthong plus a vowel, the vowel is pronounced seperately but not the diphthong.

Iesus Nazarenus Rex Iudaeorum:

ee-A-soos
nahz-are-A-noos
rex
ee--oo-day-or-room

You have to remember that the latin "I" sometimes was pronounced like a "Y."

Hence: Yesoos.

jdw88

okay so I took latin and Im positive on how to pronounce this
i = long e in latin but when its at the beginning of a word its a consonant y sound and all the other vowels are pronounced the way they were before the english long vowel shift (like in spanish)

YAY-Soos Naz-AH-RAY-Noos RAYX YOO-DYE-Oh-room

Last edited: