• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do YOU Mysticism?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Considering the fact that people who call themselves mystics come from all walks of life, and religious or lack thereof backgrounds, I am curious as to how you go about communing with the Source/Universe/God(s).

I personally utilize Meditation, sometimes Journeying. While my ultimate go to is Dancing. Something about the combination of movement and music that eases and speeds the transition.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Considering the fact that people who call themselves mystics come from all walks of life, and religious or lack thereof backgrounds, I am curious as to how you go about communing with the Source/Universe/God(s).

I personally utilize Meditation, sometimes Journeying. While my ultimate go to is Dancing. Something about the combination of movement and music that eases and speeds the transition.
Many years ago I was enchanted by a song with the repeated lyrics "Dance your way to God" which had segments with all sorts of different musical styles. Part of the song had these words "we don't have to march through life, like warriors carrying signs. We can move to the music, the beat of God's mind"

My methods are both internal and external. They include meditation, music and acts of kindness and service, however small.

That can include, for example, being pleasant to a person who is clearly having a bad day. Or by tidying up a public restroom to make it more pleasant for the next people who have to use it. It's a method full of opportunities including learning from my failures.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A "mystic" means different things to different people. Christian, New-Age, Hindu and neuropsychological concepts are different.

What do you mean by "Doing" mysticism? -- achieving a mystical state? living a god-centered life? altering your brain? being an obsessive-compulsive?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
A "mystic" means different things to different people. Christian, New-Age, Hindu and neuropsychological concepts are different.

What do you mean by "Doing" mysticism? -- achieving a mystical state? living a god-centered life? altering your brain? being an obsessive-compulsive?

I meant seeking a mystical state, I guess I could have been more clear. I'm not always the best at putting thoughts to text, lol.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

As a nondualist, I needn't commune with anything that I don't interact with daily in relative reality (maya). I am the "Source/Universe/Gods."

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
For me it's about gaining a constant awareness of the 1 & 0, the All and Nothing. The goal is not to need to "enter" mystical states, because we exist in one constantly.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I began with a predominantly sitting meditation for many years. That evolved into a more predominantly moving meditation with qigong and tai chi practices, as I lost weight and became more physically fit. Music has always been helpful as an assist to more transcendent states, as you say for yourself. That was true for sitting meditation, as well as moving meditation.

More lately however, I find that if outdoors particularly, the natural sounds of the environment work better now for me for opening up the transcendent in the immanent present moment, or the nondual state of transcendence and immanence. Music can help to transcend duality, but silence can expose the transcendent in everything; the birds, the wind, the activities of others, etc. But it's not one or the other. Both are good in their own ways, for their own reasons.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I consider any attempt to induce a mystical state to reflect greed on my part, and try to content myself with what has already been given.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I consider any attempt to induce a mystical state to reflect greed on my part, and try to content myself with what has already been given.
Being able to recognize mystical states for what they are and appreciating them while they last is probably healthier than trying to induce them. I would probably use a word more related to addiction such as tanha/fiery craving than a word such as greed when it comes to the dangers of seeking out mystical states, though. However, both greed and addiction can overcome a person's mind and short-circuit their rational thinking and compassion, and so both would pose a potential danger to the mystic.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Being able to recognize mystical states for what they are and appreciating them while they last is probably healthier than trying to induce them. I would probably use a word more related to addiction such as tanha/fiery craving than a word such as greed when it comes to the dangers of seeking out mystical states, though. However, both greed and addiction can overcome a person's mind and short-circuit their rational thinking and compassion, and so both would pose a potential danger to the mystic.
This raises a good point. To try to "induce" mystical states, does have a sense of craving attached to it. It becomes a form of escapism. However, we shouldn't mistake that practices such as meditation in order to realize one's own higher consciousness, is the same thing as trying to "induce" mystical states for the sake of the state itself as the goal.

That would be like saying someone working out at the gym is trying to induce endorphin rushes, for the sake of the rush. Some may, like those who grimace and grunt over-lifting the weights to show how strong they are, driven by their egos. But others are doing it to be more healthy, who are not in it for the ego. The same applies to any practices in which one enters into altered states for the purpose of spiritual awakening. Some use it for escape (spiritual bypassing), and some use it for health, happiness, joy, and quality of life (Enlightened mind).

Everyone fits somewhere on that spectrum of spiritual practices, depending on how attached to one's own ego they are. Some get cynical about it too, and say, it's all just ego, I'll stay at home and be superior to all of that nonsense. ;)

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member

That's probably a good way of looking at it. And I guess while I wouldn't consider myself to be actively seeking such an experience per se; but I do continue the activities that have lead to them before, such as I mentioned above.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
This raises a good point. To try to "induce" mystical states, does have a sense of craving attached to it. It becomes a form of escapism. However, we shouldn't mistake that practices such as meditation in order to realize one's own higher consciousness, is the same thing as trying to "induce" mystical states for the sake of the state itself as the goal.

That would be like saying someone working out at the gym is trying to induce endorphin rushes, for the sake of the rush. Some may, like those who grimace and grunt over-lifting the weights to show how strong they are, driven by their egos. But others are doing it to be more healthy, who are not in it for the ego. The same applies to any practices in which one enters into altered states for the purpose of spiritual awakening. Some use it for escape (spiritual bypassing), and some use it for health, happiness, joy, and quality of life (Enlightened mind).

Everyone fits somewhere on that spectrum of spiritual practices, depending on how attached to one's own ego they are. Some get cynical about it too, and say, it's all just ego, I'll stay at home and be superior to all of that nonsense. ;)

There most definitely can be an addictive quality to mystical states, especially if one is driven by ego. Reminds me of this article:

https//www.mentalfloss.com/article/548170/yoga-and-meditation-may-lead-inflated-ego

Inducing, seeking, and other terms are loaded IMO and so I think I am rather limited by language in the purpose I was trying to get across in this thread which was to enquire about people's practices in general, while trying to remain vague so as to be inclusive.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There most definitely can be an addictive quality to mystical states, especially if one is driven by ego. Reminds me of this article:

https//www.mentalfloss.com/article/548170/yoga-and-meditation-may-lead-inflated-ego

Inducing, seeking, and other terms are loaded IMO and so I think I am rather limited by language in the purpose I was trying to get across in this thread which was to enquire about people's practices in general, while trying to remain vague so as to be inclusive.
Yes, we should probably start with the assumption the person has their ego in check, or at least is aware of it in themselves as part of their spiritual practice. Then what practices work for them is the real question. I think its good to be aware that different types of practices are more effective or less effective depending on the person. A straight, Zen style sitting meditation may not be the best for someone, while movement may be.

I recall when I first started meditation, I would struggle with invalidating it because it wasn't what others said they did. I've come to learn that from one day to the next, it may need to be something different. So I had to try to quit with all that "Am I doing it right", talk, and simply follow the lead of what arises at the moment, and learning how to listen to and be in-tune with that. That's why I like movement. It's more fluid and dynamic that way, like Life itself. But then, there is simply sitting as well to connect to it. It's not one or the other, but both modes of the same Reality.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I do things to induce that mystical feeling of oneness as a source of inspiration and reminder to myself of my connection with everything. I sometimes find myself losing touch in the stress of my everyday work routine, so this helps remind me of the deeper meaning of thing. Since I work with students in a behavioral health setting with pretty traumatic lives, regaining some perspective is necessary.

I also enjoy reading and discussing philosophy and religion which adds to my understanding of life. I meditate and create and perform pagan rituals that inspire and connect me with everything.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I have two main practices. One is several times a day and one is constant.

Several times a day, I engage in mystical contemplation, where I let go of my sensory perceptions, emotions, and train of thought to concentrate on the eternal stillness. It's similar to hesychasm, except I don't pray, which could be interpreted as a form of Quietism.

Constantly, I practice integration. With integration, one consciously recognizes their emotions and thoughts without suppressing them, letting them arise and fizzle out without dwelling on, avoiding, or fighting them. This is a part of the Jungian interpretation of alchemy, but similar teachings are found in a variety of mystical schools.