• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you mostly listen to music?

How do you listen?

• Streaming (YouTube, Spotify, Apple)

Votes: 14 58.3%
  • CD

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Cassette

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Records/Vinyl

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Radio

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 7 29.2%

• Total voters

exchemist

Veteran Member
CDs and vinyl. But that's because I like classical music and so, to get decent sound quality, I listen via the hi-fi system in my sitting room, rather than poxy ear buds.:D

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Can one convert purchased mp3 to flac? (Bought off Amazon and played through the app)

Yes you can but it's pretty pointless. The advantage of flac is that it's lossless, i.e. no information is thrown away during the encoding in the hope the algorithm will be able to reproduce it well enough when you play it. Converting mp3 to flac can't add the missing information.

That being said, I have done it once or twice, when I could only get an mp3, just so my library is consistently flac.

ratiocinator

CDs and vinyl. But that's because I like classical music and so, to get decent sound quality, I listen via the hi-fi system in my sitting room, rather than poxy ear buds.:D

I sometimes listen to classical too and there really isn't a difference between playing local flac files through (importantly!) a decent hi-fi DAC, and CD. You can even get higher than CD quality flac files (higher sampling rate and/or more bits per sample) although there is some debate about whether anybody can hear the difference (I've never bothered with it).

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
SiriusXM most of the time (usually set to Symphony Hall) though I have a lot of CDs I dip into from time to time.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I sometimes listen to classical too and there really isn't a difference between playing local flac files through (importantly!) a decent hi-fi DAC, and CD. You can even get higher than CD quality flac files (higher sampling rate and/or more bits per sample) although there is some debate about whether anybody can hear the difference (I've never bothered with it).
Thanks for this. I have to confess I had not previously heard of flac. :oops:

Is it now standard, or does one need to check carefully whether an on-line source is flac or not?

But actually, thinking about this, I'd need to find a way to connect a laptop to my hi-fi, so that a downloaded flac file would play through the system. All sounds a bit difficult.

I'm not chucking out the hi-fi system - too sentimentally attached to it. I still have the speakers I bought before going up to uni in 1972, and the amp dates from 1979. :D

ratiocinator

Is it now standard, or does one need to check carefully whether an on-line source is flac or not?

It's standard in the sense that if some site is offering "lossless" or "hi-res" audio downloads then there will almost certainly be the option to download in flac format (although if you download any lossless format there are free converters).

ratiocinator

But actually, thinking about this, I'd need to find a way to connect a laptop to my hi-fi, so that a downloaded flac file would play through the system. All sounds a bit difficult.

Being a bit of a techie, I actually use a Raspberry Pi (well, two actually but that really is gratuitous). From a laptop you could just use usb to a DAC.
I'm not chucking out the hi-fi system - too sentimentally attached to it. I still have the speakers I bought before going up to uni in 1972, and the amp dates from 1979. :D

I can relate to that. Mine has evolved a lot since uni but my speakers (in particular) are getting on a bit - but I do love the sound:-

9980-TDL_RTL-3_wm.jpg

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'd probably go flac rather than 320 kbps if I could tell the difference but at my age that is unlikely. :(

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I mostly use Spotify, which I pay for. No, I don't really like the idea of streaming because you don't actually 'own' the music; it's even worse than straight up illegal downloads in that regard. But it serves my purposes just fine with its extensive library (more than the other music streaming services, decent algorithm and streaming bitrate. Plus, I can make it sound amazing with the headphones and settings I use.

I have a CD player and CDs reserved for 'hard times'. Lol.

I sometimes listen to radio. I have a local favorite music radio station, too.

You?

Pandora Premium (paid subscription), YouTube Music (formerly Google Play Music, where I uploaded several of my CDs), and Soundcloud (mostly for Vedanta lectures).

I pretty much exclusively stream through my phone on either my Harman/Kardon Bluetooth speakers when at home, my Bose speakers in my car (through Apple Carplay), or my Airpods in the work truck.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
How do I listen to music? I just turn off my mind, relax, and float downstream.