• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You know You Are Not In A Cult?

MJFlores

There's a lot of cults out there. What makes a cult? What are the signs? What should you look out for?

How do you know you are not already in one?

When a group or congregation says they are in a cult, would that qualify?

upload_2020-6-26_14-35-47.jpeg
upload_2020-6-26_14-36-2.png
images

rational experiences

Veteran Member
When a group or congregation says they are in a cult, would that qualify?

View attachment 41020View attachment 41021
images

Why do they use 2 meanings....such as Marian and also Cultus?

Did you ever consider forced AI subliminal thinking to substantiate that you were not a cult but of the Marian belief?

Forced to own a group to teach against occultism...for the cult is first owned in the word statement OCCULT.

Occult is Satanic science reasoning.

Marialis, is generally recognized that there are three elements in devotion to Mary: veneration, invocation, or calling upon her for her motherly and queenly intercession, and imitation

Reasoning.....original male adult Father DNA...first life and only one life owner, the self.

Second reasoning...…..Mother and Father, gave new baby life by Mother life body...veneration of baby male to Mother superseded original Father self.

Third reasoning.....due to adult baby to Father self who became the adult Satanic scientist.

Veneration to the Holy Mother versus the occult Satanic belief of allowing the Father to son sacrifice of life in unnatural theories of occult belief.

Actually if you reverence life continuance itself...via the Holy human Mother body and Holy mother womb spatial origins of MATHS...as cold empty space womb.

When you live spiritually you always try to seek the truth and not use past history and human hatred to over take your spiritual self awareness. Which is owned by any human community, why blame the victims for what the group occult science male self did?

SLPCCC

There appears to be an implicit assumption that you shouldn't be in a cult. So I'd think I'd like to know: Why are cults bad?

Many people have lost their life because of mind controls through cults. I think any group (cult) that tries to control your mind is not healthy.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
There's a lot of cults out there. What makes a cult? What are the signs? What should you look out for?

Steve Hassan has taught me a lot. His first book was an eye opener. Another book is 1984 by George Orwell.

I do refrain these days from referring to the term cult because todays usage of it is weird and derogatory. I prefer to speak about indoctrination because that has a direct link to bad thinking.

I don't use his bite model because it is too broad but I simplify it to these things which contradict logic and critical thinking:

1. The group demonises non believers and shuns them. No true Scotsman.
2. The group says one must obey without question, or can ask questions but just accept the answer without further question.
3. Only the information they give you about the group is authentic. All negative info of the group is lies.
4. They restrict who you should associate with.
5. One cannot express opinions outwardly that contradicts what they say.

When I say "cannot" that means that if one does the thing they discourage, then there will be consequences.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
There appears to be an implicit assumption that you shouldn't be in a cult. So I'd think I'd like to know: Why are cults bad?
And if there are so many out there... then how do you know there are so many out there? And why are there so many of them (if they are bad)?

Looks like @oldbadger beat me to the obvious questions.

I'll just add that I've heard there is some sort of movie-going cult and that they watch a collection of movies known as "Cult Classics". :p (I'm pretty sure there's an inside group that understands the truth of these films and an outside group that doesn't).

What has failed to be addressed is that the term "cult" used by Steve Hassan is in reference to groups that indoctrinate believers. That is why I think the term cult is a useless word to use because it doesn't mean what the person is referring to. Indoctrination would be a better way.

Ancient cults were cults but that meant they were dedicated to one aspect of their religion. It is a very useless word to use.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Good question....
No doubt, during Jesus’ ministry, some people thought that He had started a cult!

Jesus did start a cult. The whole religion is focused on him as the mediator between God and man. The problem is that people think that cult is a bad thing. All religions start off as cults.

The issue would be whether he sought to indoctrinate followers or not, and that is the type of cult Steve Hassan is referring to. The word cult is insufficient to describe such groups though as it becomes and ambiguous word including groups that do not practice indoctrination.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I think a common feature is having a leader...

But not just a leader...

a charismatic leader.

Who is also the founder...

And the source of its doctrine and practices...

Also, the doctrine and the leader are mixed up with each other, the cult is a personal extension of the "leader"

I'm sure there are many other features, but those are the ones that come to mind

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

When you try to get out, then you know

Heyo

Veteran Member
Cults aren't inherently bad. If they were, why would anybody join them?
It all depends on what you like.
Do you like to be told what to do and not do? (Behaviour control)
Do you like to be told what media you can consume? (Information control)
Do you like to be told what to think? (Thought control)
Do you like to be told what to feel? (Emotion control)

If you answered "no" more often than "yes", you probably shouldn't join a cult. (Or the military.)

stvdv

My criteria:
1: They belittle others
2: They extoll themselves
3: They make you doubt your own conscience

stvdv

Aren't we all in some kind of cult?

Note: except those meditating in a cave all alone

rational experiences

Veteran Member
If someone is kicked out of an organized group meeting for behaviours stated not to be in agreement, then the human is kicked out.

Why then does the human think they are done wrong by?

They should congratulate their own self that they no longer believe in what they think is incorrect human behaviour....to be accepting of everyone.

So wait a minute all humans.....we already belong to everyone first and origin.

And science, the mentality of machines took our self belief, our natural origin and life ownership and consciousness away from itself.

So then in organization group conditions, humans were taught first, what teaching venues are meant to achieve.....to involve group argument and studies...what a lot of organization does not allow.....human argument or to protest so that the organization, also learning evolves, what spiritual humanity are aware of.

Self evolves daily as you live.

Try to apply a law to natural life situations and you will be proven wrong...there is no natural law.

Law and behaviour was introduced, which once applied to spiritual learning about community and human survival....and that teaching was just a teaching to enable and support a group teaching model to exist....which is meant in actuality to be organizational teaching like a University for example.

Yet the University does not apply in its intellectual pursuits a moderator to state that intellectual agreement is the owner of our human destruction.

Where spiritual group meetings for mutual spiritual self purpose owned their status....and all the statuses of law, medical and scientific relevant were once owned in one organizational control.

And therefore the Leadership of the organization was owner of being the correct self personification of acting as a human Father would to teach his children on a circumstance of humanity having lost their group human family life into irradiation depravation.

Humanity had to source that communal venue for their own sanctity. Which today has emerged into variations of the branches of the origins of the meaning of one body of social order and control.

Therefore today human personal Leadership in any organization is now at a moment of its personal realisation of doing and being involved in a life assessment that is a mutually social agreed ideal no matter what is taught in that organization as the human basis of personal needs and personal truths, as the form organization of.

Historically the world human family united in an agreed social implementation for the tradition of human aware conditions for a future life of spiritual self development,. which involves human healthy being enabled and an environmental condition supported to be achieved.

And then agree that if any human group organization is involved in unethical terms against human life survival or mutual purpose to alter their own practices and become ethical...so that humans can own a choice to be involved in what form of supportive human organization they want to attend as without it being considered to be a detrimental human practice.

Evolution of our ability to think and change is just natural, and if you want to try to stymy that progress, that history is involved in the science of the occult methods, to enforce teaching ideals that involve purposes to agree in the harm of others.

MJFlores

When you live spiritually you always try to seek the truth and not use past history and human hatred to over take your spiritual self awareness. Which is owned by any human community, why blame the victims for what the group occult science male self did?

Hatred? They labelled themselves and named themselves as a CULT.
Nobody is accusing anybody but they are saying "Hello people, we are a cult"

upload_2020-6-26_17-26-34.jpeg
images
images

Question:
What Is the Cult of Mary?

Answer: Father Charles Grondin, pastor of Blessed Sacrament Church, Providence

In the vernacular, the word cult refers to a person or group that uses psychological and emotional manipulation to control others.

Within Catholicism there are different “cults” or liturgical forms and devotions. Any liturgical or prayer devotion centered around a particular saint is referred to as a cult. Therefore, the “cult of Mary” within Catholicism would refer simply to Marian devotion.

Source: What Is the Cult of Mary?

The Council of Ephesus in 431 sanctioned the cult of the Virgin as Mother of God; the dissemination of images of the Virgin and Child, which came to embody church doctrine, soon followed.

Source: https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/v...esus in,embody church doctrine, soon followed.

giphy.gif

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)
Pressure to think or act in a particular way is a tell-tale sign. This can be quite subtle, and is present in many group situations.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Hatred? They labelled themselves and named themselves as a CULT.
Nobody is accusing anybody but they are saying "Hello people, we are a cult"

View attachment 41028
images
images

Question:
What Is the Cult of Mary?

Answer: Father Charles Grondin, pastor of Blessed Sacrament Church, Providence

In the vernacular, the word cult refers to a person or group that uses psychological and emotional manipulation to control others.

Within Catholicism there are different “cults” or liturgical forms and devotions. Any liturgical or prayer devotion centered around a particular saint is referred to as a cult. Therefore, the “cult of Mary” within Catholicism would refer simply to Marian devotion.

Source: What Is the Cult of Mary?

The Council of Ephesus in 431 sanctioned the cult of the Virgin as Mother of God; the dissemination of images of the Virgin and Child, which came to embody church doctrine, soon followed.

Source: https://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/virg/hd_virg.htm#:~:text=The Virgin Mary and the Church&text=The Council of Ephesus in,embody church doctrine, soon followed.

giphy.gif
Cult, which shares an origin with culture and cultivate, comes from the Latin cultus, a noun with meanings ranging from "tilling, cultivation" to "training or education" to "adoration." In English, cult has evolved a number of meanings following a fairly logical path.

Cult mentality as a living human today, who owns a life meaning today about 100 years ago today a human being died.

Reasoning, I give C the value of 100 as life years/span.

Word can own 1 to 5 or 6 variable imposed meanings.

If you state the CHURCH not any occult venue, or a cult, meaning preceding Temple pyramid attacker and life sacrifice Satanism, Luciferian order who said increasing the spatial gas mass spirit into a higher sacrifice is sanctum to our order/belief Satanism/occult....then they are the CULT group.

Holy Mother womb....said space history is empty, a womb, cold and pressure not only owned the presence STONE...seeing a spirit gas being sacrificed and removed from SIN...burning out left space as heated. Is not the same as quoting space is empty and a womb. In MATHS Holy Mother, never sacrifice her spirits in space for Earth ever again. Holy Mother of God for Earth.

All said by males...what you all argue over today relativity and what male self is correct in the patenting of your thoughts. You state books, the same writings the same readings a new teaching by a new entitlement group. Who in every order, religious science, involves science to use the public money for self benefits.

Healers worked in the community for free and tended the sick and poor without payment or wage, and if they were lucky the Order of the Holy Mother would be allowed a cell to live in. Call that being paid for honouring human life as a Mother to son reasoning?

If you need to bash your head with a book or whip yourself, when Jesus is a statement in human life about being poor, then you would know why. To remind yourself that human greed is what it is all about, to force control.

The Christ brothers existed first rationally. But they were without any Church or building and prayed to their spiritual Father in the privacy of their own dwelling, just as it said. The Church became an agreed community service originally, then science was practiced. By that time irradiation fall out human life was moving towards living its mind of Dark Ages.....an occult science cause as a group of lying occult scientific liars, the same as you are today in science.

Actual Satanic males working in the sciences proclaiming self righteousness in the name of your own evil.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Not sure there is a cult beyond Atheism. I will ask the other members of our cult

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I consider the 50,000+ branches of christianity to be cults.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist

I'm not in a cult.

I've been in a cult before. The key part of a cult is CONTROL.

Atheist types like to look at religion and point at cults. Oh? What about Hitler Youth, or Labor groups? They take you in, then they exert political (rather than religious) pressure on what you do. At best, they only do this to take your money, but there are some secular cults all about controlling people's lives.

Here's an example of a cult. People wear masks, stay apart from each other, stand inside zones, use buzz words like "social distancing", wash hands ritualistically (yet believe that no amount of sanitation will make them clean enough), close all stores and religious establishments, and have a wary look on their face.

I'm not in a cult.

All of you are in a cult.