• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You know You Are Not In A Cult?

SLPCCC

There's a lot of cults out there. What makes a cult? What are the signs? What should you look out for?

How do you know you are not already in one?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Well, for one thing, if I was, I wouldn't be free to be even questioning it. I almost certainly would not be here exploring the possibility. I would not have free access to anything I wanted to read and study, and all of my associations would be from within the group. Finally, I would likely be afraid that if I were to leave, I would have no friends and no support system. I'd be on my own.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There's a lot of cults out there.

Yeah?
What makes a cult?

Any people who don't like a group, so brand it 'cult'?

What are the signs?

Folks pointing fingers and calling out 'Cult!'

What should you look out for?
Look out for what? And why?

I'm certain I'm not in any group or following or party or CULT. There ain't a Deists club, even.

Look....... the word Cult is just a Branding, scorched on to any group of folks who aren't liked by other folks.
A kind of 'Fake News' label.
Here's an example of why the word is unnecessary:-
The 'animal cruelty for fun' group is not a cult..... it's just a criminal conspiracy..... no need for any term like cult. :)

Ponder This

There's a lot of cults out there. What makes a cult? What are the signs? What should you look out for?

There appears to be an implicit assumption that you shouldn't be in a cult. So I'd think I'd like to know: Why are cults bad?
And if there are so many out there... then how do you know there are so many out there? And why are there so many of them (if they are bad)?

Looks like @oldbadger beat me to the obvious questions.

I'll just add that I've heard there is some sort of movie-going cult and that they watch a collection of movies known as "Cult Classics". :p (I'm pretty sure there's an inside group that understands the truth of these films and an outside group that doesn't).

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Well since I left religion all together, which cult would I be part of?
Hi......
Back in the 60's some Christian decided to write a book, trashing all the religious groups that they didn't like. The author stuck the Jehovah's Witnesses, Bahais and many other followings in to the book and called it :
'The Kingdom of the Cults' !!

Job Done.
Hatchet job complete.

I've never respected the word ever since because I know for sure it's just a 'Hatchet Job' word.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
There appears to be an implicit assumption that you shouldn't be in a cult. So I'd think I'd like to know: Why are cults bad?
And if there are so many out there... then how do you know there are so many out there? And why are there so many of them (if they are bad)?

Looks like @oldbadger beat me to the obvious questions.

I'll just add that I've heard there is some sort of movie-going cult and that they watch a collection of movies known as "Cult Classics". :p (I'm pretty sure there's an inside group that understands the truth of these films and an outside group that doesn't).
So true! :)

Let's think of a group of folks who we don't think much of, and then we can mangle their reputation by injecting a fat amount of prejudice in to many people by the use of 'hatchet' words:-
Faction?
Cliche?
Cult?
etc.........

I despise the word cult, mistrust the folks who brand with it, empathise with victims and pity the sheep who react to it.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Cult reasoning to believe in enforced teaching principles and own the knowledge of coercing others by use of forced conditions such as machines, mind contact/mind control scientific reasoning origin of which was science.

All cult themes today are based on spiritual science idealism. Information statements made about powers in creation relating to self and keeping self safe by agreement of use of powers of persuasion which involves knowledge of the mind/psyche and human behaviour.

Subliminal sub conscious reality, science as a state took over natural spiritual life mind conscious reasoning, in a fake group cult activity, that takes natural family and extended family human relationships out of a natural group meeting and mutual human supportive life continuance into a fake group mentality.

That involves a natural human fear for being destroyed in a scientific forced condition....and human reasoning of all cause and effects.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Let's think of a group of folks who we don't think much of, and then we can mangle their reputation by injecting a fat amount of prejudice in to many people by the use of 'hatchet' words:-
Faction?
Cliche?
Cult?
etc.........

I despise the word cult, mistrust the folks who brand with it, empathise with victims and pity the sheep who react to it.
^^^ I’m glad you are my friend. ^^^

rational experiences

Veteran Member
^^^ I’m glad you are my friend. ^^^
^ in human being science mind coercive reasoning was first a mountain top.

Whatever you believe today in cult reasoning, science is totally fake. And it is a model of human observation that humans who use abusive language tactics already are involved in a cult mentality....for reasonable and honest humans do not use threatening words in textual arguments.

You know spiritual humans. And if you are forced to agree with scientific information in spiritual group meetings, most of those so called cults, which they aren't do not factually read or agreed with the text...they meet as loving community and caring members who believe and also need a mutual caring support. Either as their own life at home does not meet that mutual spiritual need of comfort or they live in fear that if they do not attend spiritual reasoning about science that they will be harmed.

So never ever blame the human victim, when their original group was their human family.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member

It was an interesting but short video. (2.5 minute)
There are cults which operate upon people, but I think that sometimes a person may turn something that's not a cult into a cult by not learning how to assert their own will. For example sometimes people have a borderline personality disorder which makes it difficult to disagree. On the other hand the video lists some classic examples of cult manipulations which don't come from the individual, and also cults will try to get people to distrust themselves so as to own them.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I've never been a follower of the The Leader and know Blisstonia is not real.

That's just a way of saying that the Simpsons "Joy of Sect" episode was one of the best exposes of cult methods around. And I particularly enjoy "The Prisoner" homage

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member

Faction?
Cliche?
Cult?
etc.........

Nailed it....!
happy0144.gif

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
If one was in a cult, would it automatically mean it (the faith/religion) cannot be true?
Language changes with time, with 'fashions'.

Today the word 'cult' can get folks to thinking of 'tags' such as weird, nasty, odd, strange, dangerous, hateful, wicked, daft...... etc.

In fact I cannot think of a way in which 'cult' can lead the mind to any pleasant descriptive.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Religious occultism is humans who do not agree to be taught what wrong human life and thinking is....about creation sciences....who forms smaller off groups, manipulates and coerces the information as a strategic plan, to force the group to not only destroy their own human life, as single selves, but destroy and remove other family members innocent of their beliefs.

So a human can be in a cult, who changes their own mental behaviour and agree, which is a cult member in knowing destructive plan/reasoning agreement, who disassociates from the natural family and extended family human unity....who then understands it is incorrect reasoning.

Science was the first human ownership of that form of mentality actually....why creation themes are always involved in the group teaching/preaching purpose.

Now if you just went to a healing venue, and say it was built for PHI resounding sounds, with light glass and oil therapies and given food if you were starving due to sacrifice of the Nature Garden body....non ability to own holy water or food crops like the Mayans for example....then you would just be visiting a healing spiritual venue.

If you want to then preach, and never change the planets Nature then do so in everyday human language, which was already proclaimed in the bible. When you began to tell the truth and use everyday language, religious idealism ancient science occultism would be shown for its relative reasoning why any one is a mean s.o.b. today. Radiation brain chemical attack/human behaviour changes.