• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know that your country won't be invaded, or cannot be invaded?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
th

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
The trick is for a country to be so insignificant that invading would be more trouble than just leaving things as they are.

William the Conqueror displaced the entire ruling class, and imposed his own system of government. He and his successors built chains of castles up and down the country to establish Norman authority. William of Orange did nothing like that; not even close.

But he did land a foreign army on British soil because he thought seizing the British crown would help him in the Dutch war against France. He then proceeded to use this army to forcibly replace the head of state with himself.

Wouldn't you agree it takes a pretty significant redefinition of 'invasion' to make this 'not an invasion'? :D

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I worry about Canadian invasion forces crossing over the border in a war against America. I live in Minnesota, so I'm not far from where the front line of fighting will be, when fishing rights disputes between our countries escalates into all out armed conflict.
Oh, don't worry as Tim Horton's donuts are not lethal unless you eat them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That's when those type of things seem to happen. When people get over complacent and overconfident.
I can not speak for Norway as a nation, but personally i have no enemies in this world, so i do not worry about what others would want from me, or those who wish to harm me.

RestlessSoul

and YES.....the invasion of America's southern border......

IS AN INVASION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wake up

people

It's not though, is it? It's desperate people fleeing poverty and hopelessness. The same as the refugees washing up every day in Mediterranean Europe. Thinking of these people as invaders isn't really very helpful.

They're not going to stop coming no matter how high you build that wall btw. The problem is real enough, and it's world wide. It's probably time the international community came up with some coherent solutions; not sure what those might be, but demonising the desperate is a dead end imo.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Excellent point!
Why spend more on a military than any dozen other nations on Earth, when the only existential threat to the US is from "enemies domestic?"
I am not from America so i can not speak for what your government should or should not do.

RestlessSoul

But he did land a foreign army on British soil because he thought seizing the British crown would help him in the Dutch war against France. He then proceeded to use this army to forcibly replace the head of state with himself.

Wouldn't you agree it takes a pretty significant redefinition of 'invasion' to make this 'not an invasion'? :D

I’m gonna concede defeat here mate. You sound better informed on the subject of the Glorious Revolution than I am.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
All will declare war on Turkey if Turkey invaded Greece, although they are still a part of NATO?

If that ever happened, they'd probably have to have a conference among all the NATO members. If Turkey invades Greece, they would be engaging in aggressive warfare.