• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you know that your country won't be invaded, or cannot be invaded?

In view of the fact that many countries still have a poor military capability, or no military capability at all how much longer can you pretend that your country won't be invaded, or cannot be invaded?

Surely, they are empty words and empty threats, which have no substance at all because they are not supported by any real military capability?

For how much longer can you pretend that your country cannot be invaded?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
In view of the fact that many countries still have a poor military capability, or no military capability at all how much longer can you pretend that your country won't be invaded, or cannot be invaded?

Surely, they are empty words and empty threats, which have no substance at all because they are not supported by any real military capability?

Norway can be invaded, but i do not think of it. Who should invade anyway?

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I worry about Canadian invasion forces crossing over the border in a war against America. I live in Minnesota, so I'm not far from where the front line of fighting will be, when fishing rights disputes between our countries escalates into all out armed conflict.

RestlessSoul

My country hasn’t been invaded since 1066. We invaded quite a few other countries in the years since then though. It’s all rather embarrassing, and we’re terribly sorry. Well, some of us are.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

Who would be doing the invading? This is in European Politics; which European countries are you talking about?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Putin is doing some foot stomping and posturing so i guess it won't be long now

A Vestigial Mote

I think it rather obvious that none are free from the possibility of "invasion." There are no rules to be found in the ether. There is only where you're at and whether you can defend it if you have a mind to, and where you are not and whether or not someone else is there who will defend it if they have a mind to.

No land is "magic" or "promised." Any notions like those are magical thinking and have zero basis in observable reality - wherein humans try to take what they want if they feel able, and defend what they can. There is nothing but make-believe that can inform anyone that it is somehow "written" otherwise.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

we have guns up the whazoo

only idiots would attempt an invasion

oh....sorry

this is about Europe

excuse me

My country hasn’t been invaded since 1066.

If you mean England, then it's been invaded plenty by the Scots alone.

Even if you limit it to 'mainland Britain' to discount these it's still not remotely true.

Lambert Simnel & Perkin Walbeck both landed foreign armies, as have the Dutch, French, Spanish at various points. Dozens of minor invasions.

If we limit it only to mainland Britain and only to successful invasions that resulted in regime change then:

1688 - A Dutchman, William of Orange, landed a mostly foreign army on British soil and led the 'Glorious Revolution' thus deposing the monarch and becoming king.

Last edited:
I worry about Canadian invasion forces crossing over the border in a war against America.

Maybe they will stampede some moose across the border to intimidate pedestrians, or their lumberjacks can chop down some trees and make them crush houses and cars that are only slightly over the border, or put maple syrup in your cars' petrol tanks reducing your mobility. That should be enough to knock the fight out of the US and force them to surrender.

Also, they are leading you 1-0 in the wars due to 1812 so they might fancy their chance again. Seeing as it's only the US and Canada that take part, let's say they are leading the World Series of Wars 1-0 :D

RestlessSoul

If you mean England, then it's been invaded plenty by the Scots alone.

Even if you limit it to 'mainland Britain' to discount these it's still not remotely true.

Lambert Simnel & Perkin Walbeck both landed foreign armies, as have the Dutch, French, Spanish at various points. Dozens of minor invasions.

If we limit it only to mainland Britain and only to successful invasions that resulted in regime change the:

1688 - A Dutchman, William of Orange, landed a mostly foreign army on British soil and led the 'Glorious Revolution' thus deposing the monarch and becoming king.

Yes, that’s all true. I was being flippant. Perhaps I should have said conquered, rather than invaded.

I think King Billy was invited by Parliament, and met with little or no resistance. More of an internal coup than an invasion really.

The Scots got as far as York once I believe.

The Scots got as far as York once I believe.

As far as Derby under Bonny Prince Charlie until uncertainty about a French support invasion appearing (it would have) and Highland Clans wanting to take their spoils home and consolidate rule in Scotland made them turn around.

Could well have taken London otherwise.

I think King Billy was invited by Parliament, and met with little or no resistance. More of an internal coup than an invasion really.

Partly true, but more of a myth (the name the Glorious Revolution betrays its anti-Catholic animus). Just because some powerful people supported him doesn't mean it wasn't an invasion. William the Conquerer had some local support too, was still an invasion.

It was also met with minimal resistance because the foreign prince landed with a big army they couldn't match. And there were numerous rebellions.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Most countries in Europe are part of the NATO alliance, so if one country is invaded, all will (theoretically) declare war on the invading nation. If need be, the combined populations, resources, and industrial bases of the NATO countries could field a rather large and formidable military force, if they ever had to do that.

The typical Cold War hypothetical called for the US to use a nuclear deterrent, in the event that the Soviets poured into Western Europe in overwhelming numbers. Fortunately, that never happened, and it's extremely unlikely that such a thing would ever happen.

It's not the same world as it was before or during WW2 when countries could pretend they cannot be invaded. After the advent of nuclear weapons and the Cold War practice of nuclear brinkmanship, people started to have other concerns. Being invaded was the least of anyone's concerns in a world where war could mean total annihilation in less than an hour. Some even believed that being invaded was preferable to having one's country turned into a radioactive wasteland ("better red than dead").

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
There is more to it than simple invasion. Logistics are involved, and when you invade a country the other countries may get involved.

Its likely that you can predict an invasion by watching what neighbors are doing. Are they preparing?