• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you KNOW that you are "right"?

Master Vigil

I sure hope that you are not assuming that I am promoting discrimination or not letting people live. Just because I don't agree with another person's beliefs as being valid or right does not mean that I feel a need to discriminate against that person or not let them live.
Isn't claiming anothers beliefs aren't valid or right... discrimination?

SoliDeoGloria

*** The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 ***
Discrimination \Dis*crim`i*na"tion\, n. [L. discriminatio the
contrasting of opposite thoughts.]
1. The act of discriminating, distinguishing, or noting and
marking differences.
[1913 Webster]

To make an anxious discrimination between the
miracle absolute and providential. --Trench.
[1913 Webster]

2. The state of being discriminated, distinguished, or set
apart. --Sir J. Reynolds.
[1913 Webster]

3. (Railroads) The arbitrary imposition of unequal tariffs
for substantially the same service.
[1913 Webster]

A difference in rates, not based upon any
corresponding difference in cost, constitutes a case
of discrimination. --A. T.
Hadley.
[1913 Webster]

4. The quality of being discriminating; faculty of nicely
distinguishing; acute discernment; as, to show great
discrimination in the choice of means.
[1913 Webster]

5. That which discriminates; mark of distinction.

Syn: Discernment; penetration; clearness; acuteness;
judgment; distinction. See {Discernment}.
[1913 Webster]

I stand corrected. Thank you Master Vigil .

Sincerely,
SoliDeoGloria

Melody

Master Vigil said:
Isn't claiming anothers beliefs aren't valid or right... discrimination?
Yep, just as choosing whether you wear a blue or red shirt is "judging". You can't get through life without judging or discriminating.

However, that is not the same thing as treating someone less favorably because they are the wrong skin color, sex, age or religion.

I can say that in my opinion your beliefs are not valid, but as long as I don't deny you a job, relegate you to the role of second class citizen, put you to death or jail you for that reason, then it's not "discrimination" because I am not denying you any "rights" by my opinion.

SoliDeoGloria

However, that is not the same thing as treating someone less favorably because they are the wrong skin color, sex, age or religion.

I can say that in my opinion your beliefs are not valid, but as long as I don't deny you a job, relegate you to the role of second class citizen, put you to death or jail you for that reason, then it's not "discrimination" because I am not denying you any "rights" by my opinion.
I guess it depends on what context one is using the word "discrimination" in, although I am a pretty strict on straying from conventionalism and insisting that others use proper definitions of words so I must not be a hypocrite and except a correction from someone else on the same issue.

Sincerely,
Solideogloria

DavyCrocket2003

Do you guys realize how depressing this thread is? I just don't get how you guys can put up with all the confusion. I mean, there are so many different religions that say so many different things. Most of my life I have just assumed that people of other religions sincerely believed them. I'll just be frank. I know. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God lives and that Jesus Christ the redeemer lived, died, and was resurected. I know that he lives today. I know that he knows each and every one of us by name. When we pray to him, he is there listening. It's not a bunch of guesswork. He loves each one of us, that includes you whoever you are and everyone else, with more love than we can comprehend. I know this. Plain and simple. And how can I know this for sure? In short, I have prayed about it and received a personal witness of it. As can anyone. If you really want to know how you can also receive such a powerful testimony, I suggest you take a look at mormon.org/. It explains it better than I could ever. Once again, I testify that this is true, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
DavyCrocket2003 said:
[snip]I know this. Plain and simple. And how can I know this for sure? In short, I have prayed about it and received a personal witness of it. As can anyone. If you really want to know how you can also receive such a powerful testimony, I suggest you take a look at mormon.org/. It explains it better than I could ever. Once again, I testify that this is true, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.
I understand and accept that this is truly what you believe, heart and soul. However, I don't believe it, for me. This takes nothing away from you, nor does it say anything about you. It's about what I believe for my life.

I have practiced Buddhism for over 20 years. It works in my life, every day (or I wouldn't continue). I know this. Plain and simple. I have practiced this daily, and received the effects of those causes in my life. As can anyone. I testify this is true in the name of Shakyamuni Buddha. I say this respectfully, but with the intent of helping you understand that others can hold very different beliefs, just as strongly as you hold yours.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
DavyCrocket2003 said:
Do you guys realize how depressing this thread is? I just don't get how you guys can put up with all the confusion. I mean, there are so many different religions that say so many different things. Most of my life I have just assumed that people of other religions sincerely believed them. I'll just be frank. I know. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God lives and that Jesus Christ the redeemer lived, died, and was resurected. I know that he lives today. I know that he knows each and every one of us by name. When we pray to him, he is there listening. It's not a bunch of guesswork. He loves each one of us, that includes you whoever you are and everyone else, with more love than we can comprehend. I know this. Plain and simple. And how can I know this for sure? In short, I have prayed about it and received a personal witness of it. As can anyone. If you really want to know how you can also receive such a powerful testimony, I suggest you take a look at mormon.org/. It explains it better than I could ever. Once again, I testify that this is true, in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.
Personal observation, like this cannot be tested and proved true or untrue. I have prayed, I've prayed to god, to Jesus and to anything else listening. I prayed with all my heart. It wasn't some sort of Atheistic experiment, I was christian at one time. It did nothing, I got no answer and no reply. So to say that by praying you'll find your answer is wrong.

I don't know I'm right, in fact I can assure you I'm not 100% right about pretty much everything. I havn't seen any evidence or reason to point me in any other direction. It works logically, with evidence our surroundings give us and it works personally as well.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
Draka said:
I have my own little saying and thought...the only ones who know what is "right" is the dead...and even then, who's to say that they just don't see what they expected to see because they clung to it so dearly in life that perhaps they cut themselves off from even more?
I hate double posting but I just read this and wanted to comment on it. As stated in an afterlife post, there are those of us that believe when your dead, that's it. Your dead, your body stops, there is no soul or afterlife so to cling onto the idea you'll know when you dead can be dangerous. Your life should be lived now.

Prima

only in your opinion O.F...

i prayed...and i got my answer
Yes, but I think that belief IS opinion, is it not? I don't think religion can be proved. I believe what I believe because it makes me happy. I could try to prove my religion, but someone who truly believed something else would find different reasons and explanations for my 'proof'

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Prima said:
Yes, but I think that belief IS opinion, is it not? I don't think religion can be proved. I believe what I believe because it makes me happy. I could try to prove my religion, but someone who truly believed something else would find different reasons and explanations for my 'proof'
well i think that was the point i was trying to convey; that in OF's opinion that was the case but in mine and maybe others it was not, it's a matter of perspective.

Original Freak said:
I you stated anyone can find the answer by praying, and that is not true, not at all.
are you saying i stated this OF? i'm just a lil confused...

Silvanus

I don't have some universal truth and think everyone else is wrong, I just want to be me; my religion is my own personal truth. I don't expect anyone to believe or listen to what I have to say, because I'll stay strong in my path whether I'm alone or with millions of followers by my side. I'm the only one I know of who is a christian dualist in the 21st century, and that's ok. That may give me a chance to write books someday, which I would very much like to do.

Christ said not to judge or condemn, but to follow his precepts to the best of our ability. Most religions follow the same precepts too. My religion strongly believed in religious unity, they didn't go around condemning people to death for being different, they allied with the Muslims and the heathens on numerous occasions to combat religious oppression.

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
jewscout said:

are you saying i stated this OF? i'm just a lil confused...
Yes. But I was wrong. It was Davy Crocket. You responded to my responce the them and without looking back I thought you made the original comment. Sorry.:bonk:

No one is wrong. The truth of god permeated this world and was experienced in different manners. This will continue until we're reunited with the deity. Even Christianity may fade, and be looked down upon, like that of the Greeks, however, the truth will still be found in new religions, and they will be right.

Ziroc

Draka said:
This is something that I have always wondered. Everyone experiences the beyond in different ways because we are all different...that is just a fact. And as for any religious doctrine...well, everything that has been written about any religion has been written my humankind...not any deity. One can claim that something was deity INSPIRED however it was still a human that put the pen to paper.

I have my own little saying and thought...the only ones who know what is "right" is the dead...
In my opinion, I find that something is right when something can be accepted by our mind. As for religious doctrines IN my religion, it was not written by human kind nor was it inspired by God, but it was truly what God had said which is then printed through Quran and passed by Prophet Muhammad through his Sunnah. We don't need to die first in order to know what is right.