• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you "know" that others are wrong and you are right?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Would it not be better to ask politely about how the spiritual can be experienced?
The answer is of course, they must cultivate their own mind to be able to realize the experiences, those experiences does not just pop up :) the mind must be ready for it, otherwise one can not understand the message :)

Some people are just broken in this fashion, and even if they were subjected to a truly spiritual experience would deny it. But, I admit, if you've never had something you do not long for it or miss it, so I guess in this regard they have an advantage? :D

But, metaphorically it's like taking advice on the best color for your house from a blind man. They cannot see, so why would you? Would you ask the deaf person about their favorite song? And, so on the thinking goes... It's rather illogical for them to have an opinion on it in the first place for that reason. It would be wiser, for example, for them just to not concern themselves with the thing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Recently I said to a woman in an app "I wish this really bad person goes to Heaven soon". And she replied "Oh, but that is not fair, he is so bad, and you wish he goes to Heaven?". I think that's the best wish you can make, then God can take care of this, even while being in Heaven, so he does not have bad company anymore.:D

And once I read about a Hindu Saint or poet, when asked "you always greet the people friendly, even if the person behaves bad, how come?". And he said "I greet him friendly, and then I pray to God, that I never have to see him again":D. I liked that idea a lot.
The Do you question should not be in my last reply :) it thought of it but was actually trying to delete it, then it followed in to my next question :eek: sorry about that.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Some people are just broken in this fashion, and even if they were subjected to a truly spiritual experience would deny it. But, I admit, if you've never had something you do not long for it or miss it, so I guess in this regard they have an advantage? :D

But, metaphorically it's like taking advice on the best color for your house from a blind man. They cannot see, so why would you? Would you ask the deaf person about their favorite song? And, so on the thinking goes... It's rather illogical for them to have an opinion on it in the first place for that reason. It would be wiser, for example, for them just to not concern themselves with the thing.
You hit the nail on the head with your answer, thank you :)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
As long as you keep your personal "preferences", personal it is possible. It is not possible though if you in effect claim good or bad for more than yourself and include other humans or indeed claim what the best society and so on is.
My personal preferences apply to other humans, including you.
For example, I prefer that gay marriage be legal.
You're welcome.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Could have fooled me.

Are you talking about something that's happened in real life?

Because here on RF, it seems like atheists only respond to you when you invite them to.
Mostly here in RF. I do not have many atheists friends in my real life.
Atheists here in RF comments on threads not meant for them, but since I do not have a chance to get away from it. I will just leave it as it is now and respond as best I can to any question that may arise.
No need to try to stop the unstoppable anyway.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Mostly here in RF. I do not have many atheists friends in my real life.
Atheists here in RF comments on threads not meant for them, but since I do not have a chance to get away from it. I will just leave it as it is now and respond as best I can to any question that may arise.
No need to try to stop the unstoppable anyway.

Yeah, I get it. Now for me, I wouldn't be religious without the help of the atheists. In a sense, they taught me that I am religious regardless of that I am still an atheist.

Piculet

prozelyting is not allowed in RF,
I was speaking generally, however, proselytising is a vague term and it is tolerated to an extent in RF. It is not a word that only refers to negative kind of "preaching". This forum is just filled with proselytising. Even from the side of atheists. Or should I say, particularly from the side of atheists.

A Vestigial Mote

In the week or so since I come back to RF I noticed even more negativity then before I left.
And often (not always) the discussion derail because a non believer start asking questions that is non related to the OP, where it is very clear that their mission is to debunk any form of personal spiritual belief.

How do this people know they are correct when they can not prove the spiritual experience that others have is real?
What is the purpose of slandering a religion you do not follow your self? Yes I know you do not believe, burn the religious people do. And guess what, the religion is for the religious people to follow not the non religious.

And yes I know some religious people try to hard to convert you. But you can say No thank you. I do not believe, and just leave the discussion ;)

How hard can it be?
Here's the real problem with your whole question - how is someone stating that they don't believe what you are saying and giving you the reasons they don't believe equated to them saying that they are "right" about anything? How does that work, exactly? Maybe they are stating that they think you are wrong - but what is it that they are offering instead or making claims about that makes them "right?"

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
All the people who ever approached me to tell about their religion have been highly empathetic
That might be because you like proselytizing.
Many people imposed their faith on me. IF someone does this, it is a fact that the person has no empathy.
[Empathy is the capacity to understand or feel what another person is experiencing from within their frame of reference, that is, the capacity to place oneself in another's position.]
[Together with the well known "do (not) unto others what you (don't) want them to do unto you", this is very obviously]

I was speaking generally, however, proselytising is a vague term and it is tolerated to an extent in RF.
Proselytizing is not a vague term at all. It is very clear to me.

From where else would this “want” come if not the ego?

From God.
I would rather say "Wanting is a worldly desire. Desire is attachment to the ego, which is lack of attachment to God"

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I thought you were a deist, no?

Yes, and I am also a atheist, because I am not a theist, as this one: belief in the existence of a god or gods, specifically of a creator who intervenes in the universe.

I am not even a deist in some forms deism. I am more of a deist and pantheist as here as per pantheism:
  1. a doctrine which identifies God with the universe, or regards the universe as a manifestation of God.
  2. the worship or tolerance of many gods.
I accept both in some sense.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes, and I am also a atheist, because I am not a theist,
You have a bad understanding of what "atheist" means.

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in any gods. Deists believe in a non-interventionist god, so they don't meet the one and only requirement to be an atheist.

I understand why you'd want to be in the club, though. We have the best snacks.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You have a bad understanding of what "atheist" means.

An atheist is someone who doesn't believe in any gods. Deists believe in a non-interventionist god, so they don't meet the one and only requirement to be an atheist.

I understand why you'd want to be in the club, though. We have the best snacks.

Yeah, we do have the best snacks and some of the worst fundamentalists.