• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Do You Know If 'God Will Handle It?'

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
This thread is a side-track of a thread for which context can be found here: Lump Discovered in My Daughter's Lymph Node

I received a text a short time ago from my daughter's mother that read...

"...when I went to my knees to pray for maggie, I just knew I didn't have to pray, There was just pure faith-I just thanked God for taking care of her. He knows and will handle it. I never stopped before my prayers before.."
"It'll be okay"

How does one know when God has it covered? How does such faith affect your decisions moving forward?

Bonus question: If he had it covered and was taking care of her, then why did the symptoms present to begin with?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think that, if god "takes care of things" or in some sense "handles them" so that they always work out for the best, then god's ways are inscrutable to us, beyond our comprehension, and a mystery. For one thing, how can we possibly know what is "for the best" years down the road? Generations down the road? I do not rule out the possibility that such could be the case, just as I do not rule out the possibility that there is a god, but I think it's safe to rule out the possibility that we can know what is the case. We are in the position of Job. We don't really know what's going on.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
This thread is a side-track of a thread for which context can be found here: Lump Discovered in My Daughter's Lymph Node

"...when I went to my knees to pray for maggie, I just knew I didn't have to pray, There was just pure faith-I just thanked God for taking care of her. He knows and will handle it. I never stopped before my prayers before.."
"It'll be okay"

How does one know when God has it covered? How does such faith affect your decisions moving forward?

Bonus question: If he had it covered and was taking care of her, then why did the symptoms present to begin with?

Sorry, I don't believe life provides any guarantees of a favorable outcome.

If there is a God I kind of doubt he's working towards anyone's personal best interests.

What I do tend to trust is that whatever life throws at me, I'll find a way to make it through.

That's probably as silly as trusting God to take care of it but,

It's worked out so far...
And what else have I got?

that being said, for what it's worth, I hope things work out for the best for you.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

how can we possibly know what is "for the best"

It's hard upon hard when something like this happens to an innocent and loved one.

And to echo @Sunstone various religions and philosophies give stories and words to the question "why does God let bad things happen to good people", But I'm not sure it really helps to throw out sentences that begin like this "From a Hindu perspective..." but maybe I'm wrong.

All I can really think to write is that I faced a similar situation when my wife, after starting to recover from a broken hip, was diagnosed with uterine/ovarian cancer and faced serious surgery. Fortunately it was totally successful from all measures but we'll see what the long term brings.

Amani_Bhava

I believe in God but have no faith in Him/Her/It to do things that will make my life right for me. That is not His/Her/It's job description.

I will not lie because once in my life I have seen miracle happen. Nothing except Divine intervention could have saved me and I was saved ... maybe I used up my quota .. I am badly in need of a miracle (and you are too)

"Droll thing life is -- that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself -- that comes too late -- a crop of inextinguishable regrets."

- Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

namaste

amani_bhava

atanu

Premium Member

"It'll be okay"

'Faith can move mountains' is probably an absolute truth. I truly believe that one pointed faith can move mountains, since the world is made of faith, although gross world does not seem to be so. Some teachers however emphasise that willing for anything of this world is not worth, since change is inevitable. I only pray for peace and happiness, knowing that these are all that I really want.