• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you Interpret?

waacman

Restoration of everything
I've often debated different people about religious texts. When we disagree it seems that they often defend their beliefs with "well thats how I interpret it". I would venture to say that there is a right and a wrong way to interpret things both of religious value and non-religious. How do you interpret something? What rules or guidelines to you use,if any? Just trying to get a better understanding of where people are coming from.

evearael

First off, I personally feel it is arrogant to presume that one has the only correct version of the word of God. Honest disagreements on religious texts are completely acceptable, and I feel the debating of verses only stands to strengthen faith. That said, there are those who would take pieces of scripture grossly out of context for their own personal gain. Thus, it is my policy to reference the chapter in question whenever a verse is mentioned to attempt to verify the lack of such corruption.

Popeyesays

Take any two interpretations and look at how they can be puttogether for greater light. Take any dozen interpretations and dothe same thing. Usually one interpretation illuminates other interpretations.

Regards,
Scott

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
waacman said:
I've often debated different people about religious texts. When we disagree it seems that they often defend their beliefs with "well thats how I interpret it". I would venture to say that there is a right and a wrong way to interpret things both of religious value and non-religious. How do you interpret something? What rules or guidelines to you use,if any? Just trying to get a better understanding of where people are coming from.

First and foremost...I pray on it. I pray for spiritual guidance each and every time I open my Bible.

I can't help but to interpret the majority of biblical text pretty literally. If there's something I struggle with...I pray on it...I discuss it with other Christians...I don't accept any interpretation as truth until I receive spiritual confirmation. According to the Bible...there really is only ONE interpretation...and that's the way GOD intended for the Bible to be read. According to the Bible...there really should not be any PERSONAL interpretation.

I think all who read the Bible strive to reach an understanding of what GOD wants for them to know...how God wants them edified through the word.

Above all...my spiritual interpretation or understanding of text is FAR more important to me than a mental grasp of what I'm reading. It's sometimes hard to separate flesh from spirit but the Holy Spirit never lets you down...when your trust is in Christ.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
it depends, some bits i need to put into their historical and social context as well

but i agree with the others

however, i do occasionally find bits of scripture i don't agree with, or don't like, so i either try to work my theology around them, or just flat out ignore them :eek:

and don't tell me im wrong, because every body does that :areyoucra

Adstar

waacman said:

It is not that we interprit anything. But we are guided by the Holy Spirit to understand what the Word of God means. The best way to know what it means is to pray to God to have it's meaning revealed to you.

James 1
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Popeyesays

The meaning of scripture can never be exhausted.

"221. O Essence of Negligence! Alas, that a hundred thousand ideal languages are spoken by One Tongue, and that a hundred thousand hidden meanings are unfolded in One Melody, and there is no ear to hearken, nor any heart to perceive a single letter!"
(Compilations, Baha'i Scriptures, p. 176)

Regards,
Scott

c0da

When looking at the Sutras I try to find meaning and moral teachings within the text.

As long as people's interpretations lead to the true message behind the writings, it doesn't matter too much.

d.

_______
Popeyesays said:
Take any two interpretations and look at how they can be puttogether for greater light. Take any dozen interpretations and dothe same thing. Usually one interpretation illuminates other interpretations.

my stance exactly. and never assume you're 'done learning'.

d.

_______
waacman said:
I would venture to say that there is a right and a wrong way to interpret things both of religious value and non-religious.

i wouldn't agree...there are better and worse ways though. more or less reasonable, or more or less close to the intended, original meaning, if it is known, (or the consensus opinion of the meaning). but then there is also the option to completely disregard the intended meaning. it's practically a science in it's own right.

in a work such as tao te ching, the original chinese text (ancient chinese signs have multiple meanings) is IMO intended to bear multiple meanings simultaneously - working as metaphors or paradoxes implying a bigger picture. as an example, three signs might potentially be interpreted as signifying three different meanings - to me, the interpretation is not to choose one of these meanings as 'the right one', but to assess all three and see how they can simultaneously be meaningful.

much like poetry, really.

bunny1ohio

Mike182 said:
it depends, some bits i need to put into their historical and social context as well

but i agree with the others

however, i do occasionally find bits of scripture i don't agree with, or don't like, so i either try to work my theology around them, or just flat out ignore them :eek:

and don't tell me im wrong, because every body does that :areyoucra

Except for those naughty folk like me that don't follow a theology :162: :p

Popeyesays

divine said:
i wouldn't agree...there are better and worse ways though. more or less reasonable, or more or less close to the intended, original meaning, if it is known, (or the consensus opinion of the meaning). but then there is also the option to completely disregard the intended meaning. it's practically a science in it's own right.

in a work such as tao te ching, the original chinese text (ancient chinese signs have multiple meanings) is IMO intended to bear multiple meanings simultaneously - working as metaphors or paradoxes implying a bigger picture. as an example, three signs might potentially be interpreted as signifying three different meanings - to me, the interpretation is not to choose one of these meanings as 'the right one', but to assess all three and see how they can simultaneously be meaningful.

much like poetry, really.

Exactly! AMALGAMATE, don't de-construct. The dialectic is a logical process too much ignored in this day. That which agrees is is Godly, dissension in religion is unGodly.

"Alas! that humanity is completely submerged in imitations and unrealities notwithstanding the truth of divine religion has ever remained the same. Superstitions have obscured the fundamental reality, the world is darkened and the light of religion is not apparent. This darkness is conducive to differences and dissensions; 238 rites and dogmas are many and various; therefore discord has arisen among the religious systems whereas religion is for the unification of mankind. True religion is the source of love and agreement amongst men, the cause of the development of praiseworthy qualities; but the people are holding to the counterfeit and imitation, negligent of the reality which unifies; so they are bereft and deprived of the radiance of religion. They follow superstitions inherited from their fathers and ancestors. To such an extent has this prevailed that they have taken away the heavenly light of divine truth and sit in the darkness of imitations and imaginations."
(Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - Abdu'l-Baha Section, p. 237)

Frubals!

Regards,
Scott

bunny1ohio

Adstar said:
It is not that we interprit anything. But we are guided by the Holy Spirit to understand what the Word of God means. The best way to know what it means is to pray to God to have it's meaning revealed to you.

James 1
5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind. 7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;

Pardon me if this sounds a bit "interpretational".... but the quote you used contradicts itself :bonk: Ask honestly if you have a question and he will give you the answer... but ONLY if you are completely sure you will get the answer you seek... if you're not sure then you shouldn't expect one? .... ummm.... Then what is the point in asking the question if he says right there if you're the least bit unsure then you probably won't get an answer. The biggest question I as a non-religious person would be asking is "How do I know who to believe? How do I know I have made the right decision for me?" But!!!.... Since I would be unsure of myself/religion/faith etc.... then I shouldn't expect an answer... :banghead3

Adstar

bunny1ohio said:
Pardon me if this sounds a bit "interpretational".... but the quote you used contradicts itself :bonk: Ask honestly if you have a question and he will give you the answer... but ONLY if you are completely sure you will get the answer you seek... if you're not sure then you shouldn't expect one? .... ummm.... Then what is the point in asking the question if he says right there if you're the least bit unsure then you probably won't get an answer. The biggest question I as a non-religious person would be asking is "How do I know who to believe? How do I know I have made the right decision for me?" But!!!.... Since I would be unsure of myself/religion/faith etc.... then I shouldn't expect an answer... :banghead3

You are pardoned :)

If you refer back to the original question that started this thread you will see that the poster was asking Us how We interpret things. What rules We use. So i answered the Question as to how i, as a Believer in the God of Abraham and a follower of the Messiah Jesus interpret scripture.

You say that you are "non-religious person". The question was not asked of me how a person who does not believe in the God of Abraham or The Messiah Jesus can interpret the scriptures correctly. My answer for that question is that there is no way a non-believer can have any hope of interpreting scripture with the certainty and accuracy of a true Believer who is guided by God in understanding scripture.

So when you said "I shouldn't expect an answer", as an non-believer you are right in this conclusion.

Hebrews 11:6
But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Of course having said that there is enough ability within the non-believer to understand foundation concepts of the Gospel message. Those foundation concepts are what are needed to start ones relationship with God. Trust is always needed in areas when a newcomer to the faith. As they grow in the faith they come to greater understanding. But even the ones who have received great wisdom from God still need to trust in God on some issues that are beyond their understanding. God gives us what we need to know, and can bless us with more than we need to know, but i believe we will never know all we want to know until we are with Him in eternity. So trust in God is an element of our faith all the way through.

Maxist

I must agree with Evearael on this one. There is nothing wrong with discrepencies on religious texts. If they are another way of prooving the existence of God, then no. But an honest disagreement? They will, if anything, strengthen faith.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Most study read the scriptures to prove them selves to be right.

I study the scriptures to see where I am wrong.

Those who read to justify their beliefs employ various amounts of spin as well as the ability to ignore what they don't like.

Those who read to change their hearts and beliefs do so with introspection. The Scriptures are not on trial: their hearts are. They don't try to change the meaning of scriptures as much as they attempt to change the meaning of their life.

An explanation without application is a function of pride. A need to know, but no need to change.

bunny1ohio

Adstar said:
My answer for that question is that there is no way a non-believer can have any hope of interpreting scripture with the certainty and accuracy of a true Believer who is guided by God in understanding scripture.

So when you said "I shouldn't expect an answer", as an non-believer you are right in this conclusion.

Of course having said that there is enough ability within the non-believer to understand foundation concepts of the Gospel message.

So trust in God is an element of our faith all the way through.

My response to this may seem a bit blunt, but that's just me so understand I mean no offense here. But how much more hypocritical can that possibly get?

The reason I am not religious is because the more I studied the Bible and the more I asked my pastor questions, the LESS I believed. The worse it all seemed... as if nobody knew WHAT they were talking about and the Bible is full of holes, inconsistencies, re-told stories and even in some places just plain errors.

NOBODY has a hope of interpreting the scriptures with any kind of accuracy. It's ALL guessing and "interpretation". Bear in mind that not everyone who is non-religious has never been so, and could "possibly" know more about the subject than you do. :areyoucra

Never make assupmtions that somebody doesn't understand... maybe they simply don't care :eek: But again I appologize if that seemed a bit harsh or blunt, but I couldn't think of any other way to say that

Ody

waacman said:

Who are we to establish interpretations in our time and at our level of sinfullness?
And who are we to declare an intepretaion fact?