• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you explain to people...

Kalidas

So the other day I was making a garland for Maa made of dried cranberries. I certainly looked strange enough to elicit a question from my sister in law, why in the world would I thread dried cranberries? My wife came in and kind of saved me saying "its a necklace for his idol" technically correct.

Yet this made me think. How in the world do I explain these things to people? Especially family? I am the only Hindu in my entire family.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think there is one standard answer, it would depend on the question and the level of intelligence (or lack thereof), as to what kind of an answer the person got. Your wife's answer fit the question. When I first put some pictures on my desk at work my boss (friend of almost 29 years) said "who are they?" I told him, saying that one (for example) was Lord Shiva, who destroys the old and worn out, and the negative; another was Sri Ganesha, who removes obstacles. He said "well we could definitely use more of their help around here". :D When I was at my sister's house for a gathering of us 5 siblings (Italian-Americans who have to have their pasta and meatballs), I ate nothing. I said "no wheat, no meat". She said well I have london broil (what, it's made of gummy bears?). I said "uh, that's beef"; she said "oh now you worship cows?" said with a mock bow. I said no I don't worship them, I just don't eat them. :rolleyes:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
So the other day I was making a garland for Maa made of dried cranberries. I certainly looked strange enough to elicit a question from my sister in law, why in the world would I thread dried cranberries? My wife came in and kind of saved me saying "its a necklace for his idol" technically correct.

Yet this made me think. How in the world do I explain these things to people? Especially family? I am the only Hindu in my entire family.

Basically, after many years, I rarely bother explaining, unless from predetermined experiences, I know the other individual might be open to it. But generally, because of east-west gap, it's just a useless exercise that leads nowhere for both sides. Even some of the Hindus I know have no idea why I would make a flower garland for the gods at a temple. "Heck, you can just buy one," they'd say.

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
I'd say, if you feel like you need to give an answer, just be at direct as possible. Your wife gave a pretty direct answer, if they were intrigued and wanted to know more they would continue to ask. I find the simpler the answer the better. Trying to launch into the 'why's of it tends to overwhelm people. Only elaborate if they continue to show interest.

:camp:

satyaroop

maybe in future, for such activities, you could choose a more suitable time and place so that you won't be disturbed
or you could try to acquire one of those memory erasing devices used by the MIB to use on people who have seen too much:D
df69bb898f43240091aa992211370ab9194d44d7.jpg

Maya3

maybe in future, for such activities, you could choose a more suitable time and place so that you won't be disturbed
or you could try to acquire one of those memory erasing devices used by the MIB to use on people who have seen too much:D
df69bb898f43240091aa992211370ab9194d44d7.jpg

Na, no need, just look at them real intently your yogic powers would erase their memory and then they would immediately go and buy you chocolate.

Maya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
But we have many interesting stories which they may like.

Still we have to be careful in selecting which stories. Some of those 'interesting' stories, when taken out of context, or without giving the metaphorical meaning at the same time can sound absurd to an outsider.

The story of Ganesha getting his head cut off brought on an assortment of stunned faces when I heard it told to a bunch of western kids at a temple. We can never assume they have much understanding of our myth at all.

Kalidas

Still we have to be careful in selecting which stories. Some of those 'interesting' stories, when taken out of context, or without giving the metaphorical meaning at the same time can sound absurd to an outsider.

The story of Ganesha getting his head cut off brought on an assortment of stunned faces when I heard it told to a bunch of western kids at a temple. We can never assume they have much understanding of our myth at all.

I was at a gas station and a man saw my Kali Necklace and asked if it was Shiva so I corrected and he was pretty excited. I told him of her story and even tried to explain the symbolism behind it all. My friend was there and said"Wow cool story where is that from?" I said "My Goddess :D"