• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you Define God????

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What happens when you discover God is actually Someone rather than an idea or concept created in the minds of others? Perhaps your assumption that God could not possibly exists prevents that from happening until such point God decides to contact you directly. What would you do at that point? Run back to all the proclaimed doctrine or discover what stares you in the face?
I'd treat it as with any other real world experience in the manner by which it's presented.

Determinism just cannot be foundationaly based solely upon a person's personal desires or wants through means of embellishment and fabrication (intentional or unintentional) by which a person wants, feels, or perceive, "There it is" in face of surroundings and environments that don't reflect such things.

God can be a personal reality in the sense of one's own perceptions and self determinism, that is established by way of interpretation, but it's simply not a universal or direct one by which we determine actuality through a collective means of universal consensus in the manner by which the sun, rain, and wind is established.

That's why my definition of God or theism in general, pertains exclusively within a person's imagination and perceptions as to how God is being taken in and received by people as the same thing as actuality itself.

To answer your question if ever faced with a real god? That would require the same establishment by which we all collectively determine our overall environment involving our interior and exterior surroundings.

In other words, God in all his perceived omnipresent majesty, glory and power, would need to stand up to the simple truths that a breeze blowing on our skin brings.

It seems to be a very tall order so far with God. Not so for a breeze.

It's just the way it is.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
How would you define a God who would create Hell knowing someone would go there?

How would you define the Quality of Justice in a God who creates an eternal punishment without the possibility of redemption?

I have been told by some that God does not send people to Hell, they volunteer to go. What does that say about a God who is unwilling or unable to fix the problems with His creations?

Some say God is helpless within the realm of free will. A saleslady in the mall sold me some cookware that I didn't even need or want under the realm of my free will. If this lady is not helpless under the realm of free will, what does that say about a God who is?

Some say God can't stand to be around Evil and that is the reason for Hell. How many times have people had to be uncomfortable in order to solve the problems of the world? What does that say about a God who won't live up to the same standards that His creations must?

Some say God is perfect, yet in the next breath they say all people are flawed from birth. What does that say about a perfect God who can't create perfect people?

Some say God is Unconditional Love, yet in the next breath they list conditions in order to get God's favor for things such as eternal bliss and heaven.

As I see it, Real Truth must always add up. How could I define God as all these people do when it doesn't add up?

When things do not add up, that is the time one should Question. If one merely accepts it, one is not really after the truth.

Can one choose to live outside reality in a realm of beliefs? As I see it, many are doing just that today. What many do not realize is that living in true reality is better.

Our actions and choices define who we are.
God's actions and choices define who God is.
How do you define God? Does it Really add up?

Are you really asking questions? Or just establishing your position!

What does one think of a person who asks questions if they don't really want answers?

How realistic are the thought processes when one creates their own construct to then tear it down?

Does that really add up?

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
How do you define God? Does it Really add up?

If you compare two actions, one always has a better result than another,
even if the difference is marginal. So if God eliminated all evil, even very small amounts of evil,
we would be like robots always making perfect choices, in fact we would have no choice.

So to allow small errors, necessitates allowing large errors, as they could then just accumulate.
As it is; the large sins seem to nearly always be an accumulation of small errors,
most often its a single act of cowardice, then the refusal to admit fault;
this eventually accumulates to the big sin.

I do not think that any sin is completely unforgivable.
But it may appear thus, if one does not take into account multiple lifetimes.

Bird123

history could have made more convincing religions. God is an idealistic fairy tale and since nothing is ideal there is no God. So God is what you make of it all, your most perfect vision of existence.

Once you envision a God than you give yourself all sorts of things to live up to. so perhaps God is a goal, or a striving for an excellent way to live. what does reality really offer in the way of eternal hope? You simply have to make this stuff up. the evidence says eternity is a big guess, and offers no promises.

So you can see no evidence that God exists. As you look around you, you see mankind as the most intelligent???

Granted, people do add to their view of God what they want to be true. That makes one think when Hell is their creation.

1AOA1

A lot of definitions of god can be said about humans.

Why not let your experiences of god define god for you and not people who passed on and the opinions of people today?
Because multiple people who share the same trust in that which defines God, will share the definition.

Bird123

First question to ask would be why did He create us? To worship Him alone, thank him for our blessings and call on Him for help during our lows.

Hell is for those who denied Him, Hell is for those who are open tyrants, the oppressors and killers.

Only the worst of mankind will remain in eternal punishment. Everyone else will eventually be saved. You enter the inter-space between the First Heaven and Hell.

He has given us clear guidance and warnings. We do indeed decide our own fates.

The sales lady was doing her job, and appears rather good at it. You were given a receipt and chance to change your mind within a certain number of days. Next time take someone along who is firm and direct with pesky sales people.

Inherited sin of Adam and Eve, peace be upon them, is not true and was promoted to explain why a innocent man had to die. (No he didn't die nor was he crucified).

Not true, you can do absolutely nothing and not go to Hell for ever.

It does add up, perhaps you haven't broadened your scope to seek truth. The GOD of Abraham, peace be upon him, sent many messengers, and the final message has been preserved.

I must admit I did not watch that 1 1/2 video. Give me a break here.

Are we really created to worship, thank, and ask God for help? What does that say about a God that needs these things?

You can warn all you want, however that is not an excuse for the creation of Hell. As I see it, Hell is a creation of mankind because some value petty things and want to send others to hell. Pay back, revenge and hate do not justify Hell.

Bird123

It sounds like god is defined by the emotions and passions of humans both those who have passed and those living today. It sounds like the definitions people take up are those that foster their needs. Then they feel they need a balance and try to add find print that god has "justice" but on the same note sag god would never do such a thing unless we choose to.

A lot of definitions of god can be said about humans.

Why not let your experiences of god define god for you and not people who passed on and the opinions of people today?

Life didnt just become "undivine" within three thousand some odd years.

Divinity is in you.

Yes, you are right. People have been using feelings along with what they want God to be to define God. Further, those views have been taught down through the generations. People have been taught to blindly accept them rather than question and discover the real truth for themselves.

Since we are all children of God, each and every one of us is Special. As I see it, One should venture to discover the Real Truth rather than box themselves away from reality in a box of feelings and beliefs. I have to think that Reality will always end up with a better view once one can see the entire picture. As I see it, It is a Masterpiece!!

Bird123

The OP seems to be talking about the Abrahamic god, so more specificity is required @Bird123, there are many religions represented on this forum. Generally speaking, "How do you define God?" is a much broader question, a more interesting one perhaps. If I could command a platform in front of the world's population today and ask them "do you believe in God?" billions would answer in the affirmative. However, they would have different concepts in their head about "God" of course; some personal, some impersonal, some metaphorical etc. The definition of "God" depends on your cultural origins and your own personal life history. I cannot think of another word as open to interpretation as "God". I'd welcome suggestions for any contenders!

You are right that so many people's definition of God is based on beliefs and cultures. On the other hand, should not one strive to discover what actually exists? Even Science starts with beliefs, however should not there come a time when mere beliefs just will not do? I could never be content with beliefs. I know there are some who build their entire life around them. For me, there has to always be more than Beliefs.

lostwanderingsoul

If you live in a city, that city has laws. And it has a jail for people who do not follow those laws. God also has laws and a place of punishment for people who do not want to follow those laws. Think of hell as a place to put people who do not follow the law.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Yes, you are right. People have been using feelings along with what they want God to be to define God. Further, those views have been taught down through the generations. People have been taught to blindly accept them rather than question and discover the real truth for themselves.

Since we are all children of God, each and every one of us is Special. As I see it, One should venture to discover the Real Truth rather than box themselves away from reality in a box of feelings and beliefs. I have to think that Reality will always end up with a better view once one can see the entire picture. As I see it, It is a Masterpiece!!

That's a healthy point of view. It's not bad that people use their emotions etc to define god. It's part of the human psyche to make things mirror our experiences and interpretations. Even when we are blind to it and think god is eternal, he really isn't.

I mean, you have healthy people who hear external voices that are not there to everyone else. That person not suffering from anything mental or physical to where he needs to see a doctor. He (my doctor told me of his client) just finally accepted that this is part of his reality, an external voice. He knows that it's not really there by from his mind, interpretation, feelings, etc but he doesn't deny it anymore. He accepts his perspective as an external voice and moves on with his life.

God isn't separate from us. To tell you honestly, Bird, I don't see how anyone can know anything about an external god unless they can see outside their bodies and minds like ESP or OBE or something.

Value how you define god.

It's all good.

lostwanderingsoul

There goes the old children of God arguement again. We are all God's creation. But God's children are those who He gives His spirit to. This does not include everyone. Only those who agree to follow Him and His laws. Those who do not agree will face removal from society for the benefit of all. Just like people are put in jail to benefit those who follow the law.

Bird123

Now that you ask, I realiize that I would call him limited.

I don't really. I have come to conclude that the one defining factor for a god is the existence of someone willing to worship it.

And sure, many of those conceptions are all-out incoherent.

Is not the concept of worship a man made concept based solely on the Ruler model of thinking?

As I see it, God created all of us simply because God knows what every parent knows. Children make live Grand. With that in mind, God has no need to be a ruler requiring adoration or worship. As I see it, God is not a ruler. God is a Teacher. As I see it, God's greatest moment is when that light bulb goes off over someone's head and they Understand. That is about any subject not just about God.

Kenny

Premium Member
Are we really created to worship, thank, and ask God for help? What does that say about a God that needs these things?
Don't quite understand this...

We, as humans, want to be thanked, given worth to the ship of our person, and often need help. Why is it ok for us to need it and do it but somehow it is wrong for God?

You can warn all you want, however that is not an excuse for the creation of Hell. As I see it, Hell is a creation of mankind because some value petty things and want to send others to hell. Pay back, revenge and hate do not justify Hell.
Ok... but how does one know?

We have jails... is it because of revenge or justice? Does the judge send us (as in it is the judges fault) or do we send ourselves.

Incidentally, I don't think that God actually made Hell for people. (if it indeed it does exist)

Last edited:

Bird123

That's a healthy point of view. It's not bad that people use their emotions etc to define god. It's part of the human psyche to make things mirror our experiences and interpretations. Even when we are blind to it and think god is eternal, he really isn't.

I mean, you have healthy people who hear external voices that are not there to everyone else. That person not suffering from anything mental or physical to where he needs to see a doctor. He (my doctor told me of his client) just finally accepted that this is part of his reality, an external voice. He knows that it's not really there by from his mind, interpretation, feelings, etc but he doesn't deny it anymore. He accepts his perspective as an external voice and moves on with his life.

God isn't separate from us. To tell you honestly, Bird, I don't see how anyone can know anything about an external god unless they can see outside their bodies and minds like ESP or OBE or something.

Value how you define god.

It's all good.

I am a Spiritual being in my true nature. I have direct experience to this. From my experience, God is actually Someone. God is not me though God is probably in all of us. As I see it, God and all of us are eternal. The real beauty of it all is that it doesn't matter what you believe. You are going to be OK.

Bird123

There goes the old children of God arguement again. We are all God's creation. But God's children are those who He gives His spirit to. This does not include everyone. Only those who agree to follow Him and His laws. Those who do not agree will face removal from society for the benefit of all. Just like people are put in jail to benefit those who follow the law.

Yes, you are right. What does it all say about this God? As I see it, he is too much like mankind who values so many petty things. Perhaps people should look beyond themselves to a Higher Level.

Bird123

Don't quite understand this...

We, as humans, want to be thanked, given worth to the ship of our person, and often need help. Why is it ok for us to need it and do it but somehow it is wrong for God?

Ok... but how does one know?

We have jails... is it because of revenge or justice? Does the judge send us (as in it is the judges fault) or do we send ourselves.

Incidentally, I don't think that God actually made Hell for people. (if it indeed it does exist)

The need to be worshiped and thanked is no more than a need to feed the Ego. Surely one intelligent enough to create the universe has to have advanced beyond the need of having one's Ego fed.

Once again, God must be at a higher level beyond the need for revenge, hate, and punishment. If mankind were smart, they would work at discovering the causes of crime then work at solving the real problems. How many crimes would not exist if the problems were solved ahead of time? As I see it. God does not punish. God is going to teach people the best way by allowing people to live their lessons. Once they discover all sides, intelligence will make the best choices.

Kenny

Premium Member
The need to be worshiped and thanked is no more than a need to feed the Ego. Surely one intelligent enough to create the universe has to have advanced beyond the need of having one's Ego fed.
I never see being thanked as something about my ego but rather it is for the person to have the attitude of gratefulness.

To me, gratefulness and thankfulness are cousins of contentment. A necessary component for healthy egos.

Once again, God must be at a higher level beyond the need for revenge, hate, and punishment.
I don't see it that way. Justice is a correct level if not a higher level and is not equated to revenge or hate.
If mankind were smart, they would work at discovering the causes of crime then work at solving the real problems. How many crimes would not exist if the problems were solved ahead of time?
This is so true. I my view, the answer is simple... an attitude of a heart.

As I see it. God does not punish. God is going to teach people the best way by allowing people to live their lessons. Once they discover all sides, intelligence will make the best choices.
I believe that during this epoch, you are correct. There is a sowing and reaping and people learn their lessons by the harvest of their actions.