• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you debate with a pathological liar?

firedragon

Veteran Member
Given the situation you come across a pathological liar, how do you debate with him? Especially in a forum?

Lets say you expose one lie, he makes up another lie. Then you expose that, he makes up a new one. And it goes on, yet never ends. Lets say you identify this pattern and you expose that the other person is a pathological liar, since even pathological liars may say some truth at an interval, on purpose or by mistake, negating everything he says as lies because he is a liar is not a valid argument. Its in fact its ad hominem abusive.

I have read that pathological lying is a psychological dysfunction that cannot be analysed without third party or other informants simply by analysing the patient. Thus, how could one do so in a discussion?

Why would some one be such in an environment with no ventilation for money or any other kind of personal gain? I am interested in hearing some thoughts. Take it as a hypothetical situation or real life.

Cheers.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Given the situation you come across a pathological liar, how do you debate with him? Especially in a forum?

Lets say you expose one lie, he makes up another lie. Then you expose that, he makes up a new one. And it goes on, yet never ends. Lets say you identify this pattern and you expose that the other person is a pathological liar, since even pathological liars may say some truth at an interval, on purpose or by mistake, negating everything he says as lies because he is a liar is not a valid argument. Its in fact its ad hominem abusive.

I have read that pathological lying is a psychological dysfunction that cannot be analysed without third party or other informants simply by analysing the patient. Thus, how could one do so in a discussion?

Why would some one be such in an environment with no ventilation for money or any other kind of personal gain? I am interested in hearing some thoughts. Take it as a hypothetical situation or real life.

Cheers.
Ask Joe Biden. :D

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I never engage with orange babies. Waste of time and effort. (Unless I just want a laugh; technically known as "arguing in bad faith")

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Many pathological liers are a great success in life and are revered by people. Look at some of the politicians, soothsayers, lawyers, and others (I won't list them). Lying is a part of their life, they can't succeed without it.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member

Cheers.
If you really have to do it, and most times it isn't worth it, assume Hanlon's Razor, ask questions and keep track. A lot of work and patience and what for?

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Cheers.

In a debate you are arguing to win the audience over. The worst person in my opinion to face would be a charming, entertaining person that could win without substance. A liar would win over some of the audience but once you pointed out the lying most people would assume all they state was a lie. They would end up having to prove they weren't lying.

night912

If you are debating someone, all you have to do is post their lies proving that they were/did lie, the move on. Don't try to prove that someone is a pathological liar, I'm pretty sure majority of people in here know which member(s) are pathological liars, and who comes in at number 1 at lying. You just need to show their lie. Even if you end up proving they're lying, they're still going to lie that they never said that(lied).

Me personally, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm don't just come in to RF soley for the reason to debate or to gain knowledge. I'm also here for the entertainment, so sometimes I don't leave the discussion immediately.

So my advice is, if you're frustrated that you're debating a pathological liar, release some of that frustration by being entertained from the discussion.

Cheers.
Someone like that might be in here for personal gain. They need to lie to themselves that have successfully convinced others that they weren't lying. Lying is lying, whether it's for others or themselves. But maybe the satisfaction for them is not need to convince others or even themselves, instead it's the need to simply make a lie.

night912

In a debate you are arguing to win the audience over. The worst person in my opinion to face would be a charming, entertaining person that could win without substance. A liar would win over some of the audience but once you pointed out the lying most people would assume all they state was a lie. They would end up having to prove they weren't lying.
No, pathological liars don't need to prove that they weren't lying, they just need to lie that they weren't lying.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Cheers.
I wouldn't bother, simple as that.

firedragon

Veteran Member
If you are debating someone, all you have to do is post their lies proving that they were/did lie, the move on. Don't try to prove that someone is a pathological liar, I'm pretty sure majority of people in here know which member(s) are pathological liars, and who comes in at number 1 at lying. You just need to show their lie. Even if you end up proving they're lying, they're still going to lie that they never said that(lied).

Me personally, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I'm don't just come in to RF soley for the reason to debate or to gain knowledge. I'm also here for the entertainment, so sometimes I don't leave the discussion immediately.

So my advice is, if you're frustrated that you're debating a pathological liar, release some of that frustration by being entertained from the discussion.

Someone like that might be in here for personal gain. They need to lie to themselves that have successfully convinced others that they weren't lying. Lying is lying, whether it's for others or themselves. But maybe the satisfaction for them is not need to convince others or even themselves, instead it's the need to simply make a lie.

Actually, this question doesn't have anything to do with RF. I have so far never come across a pathological liar at RF. This question was completely cloven. But thanks for your response. It makes sense.

Goddess Kit

You can attempt to debate a pathological liar, but in the end the theist will just believe whatever s/he wishes and make illogical arguments.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Lets say you expose one lie, he makes up another lie.
(Below is just my opinion)
I am very simple and direct (I learned this on RF). IF someone lies I will never reply again, until he acknowledges and says sorry.
Debating liars brings me nothing, even the opposite. Allowing them 1 second extra of my time, will make them feel they got away with lying.

When I would continue with a liar, I have no self respect, and over time I might even be dragged down to his level, IF I start condoning lying.

I believe pathological liars indeed have a pathology what makes them do this. Probably originated in childhood at very early age, hence getting cured of it is almost impossible, because they can't see it themselves, as it's a young age traumatic block in their lives.

So, most important IMO is that the person becomes aware of his misbehavior. I learned in live, that they never get aware when I let them get away with it, hence I decided to give them the Silent treatment. It's an effective treatment I have discovered, but probably won't solve this type of pathological disorder, unless the person really loves you, and maybe a bit of God's Grace, and some other people who offer help.

I do pray for them while giving the Silent treatment. But so far, I have not seen many people recover from intense childhood traumas

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
Even if someone seems like a pathological liar there is a way they can contribute to a discussion if they take the time to understand what their opponent says.

Have you ever heard of the true story of Frank Abagnale? He ran away from home as a child and lived by writing fake checks and (passing himself off as an airline copilot) lived all over the world. He was eventually caught. Its an inspiring story, because much later we can hear about how sorry he is now. Someone who seems like a pathological liar can do good. They can also be sorry, and they can turn about.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

Cheers.
as opposed to a pathological truth sayer?

I actually see little difference
you can't really deal with either one