• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you conceptualize God?

Tumah

Veteran Member
I am sure it is natural to read and skip over points you have already read that does not relate to what you want to say in a reply, right? I try not to remark to everything, because I feel after I re-read what I wrote, I'm just repeating myself.

The reason I said American Sign Language (not sign language) forms concepts is because it is a language rather than gestures. In ASL, we "think" or form concepts by specific shapes of our hands and how we look that is completely different than English. It's a bit closer to French, actually since that's where the language somewhat originated.

We can process ideas by body language. That is exactly what ASL is. That is how it can be conveyed as a complex language rather than a representation of words. I think this is a better example of the mother/baby one. If you are familiar with ASL, it would be somewhat easier to talk about.

Another way concepts formed by body language is by tradition and ritual. When I chant and pray without speaking, I am mentally (for lack of better spiritual words) an idea or definition of a connection between me and the Gohonzon (our object of worship).

Yes, I can think and formulate how the Gohonzon relates to me, and I find it a lot more personal to form those concepts by body language and mind. It let's me know by body language what the Gohonzon means to be beyond the words represented in Chinese, Japanese, and Sanskrit. Concepts takes on a whole new meaning when done in action and tradition. That's my opinion and experience. Not everyone sees it the same way and that does not mean one or the other is wrong.

I can't find which comment this went with. Maybe it's a agree to disagree? It is one thing if it doesn't make sense logically; but if it doesn't make sense via our respective beliefs, I don't know if we can help each other understand unless we can come from our shoes and view it in the other's.

I used God as a proper noun because in English we capitalize God to donate not just a person but an actual being, a creator. I don't know about Judaism, but from a christian perspective, it is treated as a proper noun. god, lower case, is not. Some Christians change the proper use of God to Jehovah. So, it depends on the person.

I didn't use the "father" example because I didn't see how that related to what you said; and, because I don't think it did it wasn't too important to refer to it in our conversation. We usually do that. We read something, see if it connects, and choose to use it in our reply whether we understand it in itself or not.

Okay.

My points are

Since ASL is language, the body language, gestures, and facial expressions do not represent words but are the language they speak or concepts they convey. I mean, we can be technical and say a table represents two arms on top of each other and the top palm patting the elbow. I guess that is fine linguistically. However, in the language itself, that word with others formulates concepts and thereby language.

Back to my original OP point. If I created a concept of god, I can say "god is one" and that would represent who he is. That's not wrong. If I said tried to define god or make an idol representation of him, then that is wrong. I don't understand how, in Judaism, one can talk about god without forming a concept or working language in context for you to do so. By doing so, you're not making an idol, representing god, or defining him. You're just using language to convey messages to get your concept, content, and context to make your point.

If someone asked me "what is your concept of life?" I may say, life is the air we breathe and the earth turning. That's not wrong and I don't see how that could not be allowed if I compared it to Judaism since it's a fact rather than something I created. However, if I defined life by saying, maybe by art or representation, that would be wrong.

The former, I am not making a concept of life. It is what it is without my definition. I'm just conveying what is a fact. That isn't wrong. The latter, I am wrong, because I am conveying the fact/nature of life by my representation of it. I'm just explaining about idolism. I don't understand how one can't be allowed to make a concept of god. It's not your concept. It's just a fact you are conveying by language to another. If it's idolism it's from you; that I can see is wrong.
Understand?
I'm sorry, but I don't think I can continue conversing with you.
Sorry.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm sorry, but I don't think I can continue conversing with you.
Sorry.

Why? I truly don't understand what you're saying. Its in person and online.

I'd like to understand what you're saying; but, cut off conversations extremely irritate me. It's an online thing.

I just look for understanding on Religious Forums, nothing more, nothing less.

Tumah

Veteran Member
Why? I truly don't understand what you're saying. Its in person and online.

I'd like to understand what you're saying; but, cut off conversations extremely irritate me. It's an online thing.

I just look for understanding on Religious Forums, nothing more, nothing less.
Let's call it an insurmountable communication issue.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Let's call it an insurmountable communication issue.

um okay? (I'm naive. Had to look it up) It isnt a complex topic, right? I mean, I understand pretty much what you said just looking for understanding on both sides. I never have cut conversations short only because I know how it feels having communication issues. So, other than that, I looked up the word, it's too much info to go into?

williamsanthu

knowing god is a journey..the last stop in that journey is to know that god is in everywhere everything from smallest atoms to largest oceans..God is with in us
..we should know how to see him