• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you compare Islamic Hadith with Bible

InvestigateTruth

How do you compare Islamic Hadithes with Bible in terms of Authority, accuracy, Holiness and priority.
There are verses of Quran that confirms Enjil and Torah, and in a sense even asked people to refer to them. But Does Quran direct you to Hadithes?

PMderry

The Leprechaun
The only text in Islam that is 100% infallible is the Qur'an. Everything else is up for questioning.

There are different levels of authenticity of Hadiths. Basically, if a person says "Prophet Muhammad said this..." then the chain of narration is examined to make sure that the line is credible. If there is questioning, the hadith loses authenticity. Therefore, there are hadiths that are considered "strong" (Bukhari, Muslim, etc.) which we can assume are credible quotes from the Prophet, and there are hadiths that are "weak" that we can approach with caution.

The Bible, for a Muslim, is not infallible since it has undergone too many translation processes, too much adding, deleting, re-wording, etc. and is considered "tainted" in that respect. The Qur'an is the only text that a Muslim can trust 100%. Hadiths, no. Bible, no. I would say, in my opinon, that a credible hadith is worth more to a Muslim than the OT and Gospel because a credible hadith is trusted as real words from the Prophet. The Bible is not. The Bible, since the chain of narration and editing was done by questionable individuals (scholars, rulers, authors, etc.) it would, if it was a hadith, probably not be considered "strong."

Hope it helps :)

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

The only text in Islam that is 100% infallible is the Qur'an. Everything else is up for questioning.

There are different levels of authenticity of Hadiths. Basically, if a person says "Prophet Muhammad said this..." then the chain of narration is examined to make sure that the line is credible. If there is questioning, the hadith loses authenticity. Therefore, there are hadiths that are considered "strong" (Bukhari, Muslim, etc.) which we can assume are credible quotes from the Prophet, and there are hadiths that are "weak" that we can approach with caution.

The Bible, for a Muslim, is not infallible since it has undergone too many translation processes, too much adding, deleting, re-wording, etc. and is considered "tainted" in that respect. The Qur'an is the only text that a Muslim can trust 100%. Hadiths, no. Bible, no. I would say, in my opinon, that a credible hadith is worth more to a Muslim than the OT and Gospel because a credible hadith is trusted as real words from the Prophet. The Bible is not. The Bible, since the chain of narration and editing was done by questionable individuals (scholars, rulers, authors, etc.) it would, if it was a hadith, probably not be considered "strong."

Hope it helps :)

Thanks! What I want to point out is that, according to Quran, God, asked people to actually refer to Injil and Torah. But He did not ask to refer to Hadithes. Perhaps, in the site of God, and according to original teachings of Islam, Injil and Torah are at a higher level of importance, and perhaps, there was a reason, that the all-knowing God, did not ask Muslems in Quran, to use and refer to the sayings.

How would you justify these verses then?

46. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah.
47. Let the People of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

(The Qur'an (Yusuf Ali tr), Surah 5)

also:

68. Say: "O People of the Book! ye have no ground to stand upon unless ye stand fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord." It is the revelation that cometh to thee from thy Lord, that increaseth in most of them their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy. But sorrow thou not over (these) people without Faith.

PMderry

The Leprechaun
Thanks! What I want to point out is that, according to Quran, God, asked people to actually refer to Injil and Torah. But He did not ask to refer to Hadithes. Perhaps, in the site of God, and according to original teachings of Islam, Injil and Torah are at a higher level of importance, and perhaps, there was a reason, that the all-knowing God, did not ask Muslems in Quran, to use and refer to the sayings.

46. And in their footsteps We sent Jesus the son of Mary, confirming the Law that had come before him: We sent him the Gospel: therein was guidance and light, and confirmation of the Law that had come before him: a guidance and an admonition to those who fear Allah.
47. Let the People of the Gospel judge by what Allah hath revealed therein. If any do fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah hath revealed, they are (no better than) those who rebel.

also:

68. Say: "O People of the Book! ye have no ground to stand upon unless ye stand fast by the Law, the Gospel, and all the revelation that has come to you from your Lord." It is the revelation that cometh to thee from thy Lord, that increaseth in most of them their obstinate rebellion and blasphemy. But sorrow thou not over (these) people without Faith.

Keep in mind that the hadiths came later. God wouldnt ask the people to turn to a text that didn't exist yet.

Those verses about the Gospel and Torah do exist, but the Qur'an also specifies that any changes made to the Books will make them illegitimate:

"No change can there be in the Words of Allah." (Qur'an 10:64).

Most Biblical scholars agree that the OT and the Gospel have been edited by many sources, and are even made up of 4 (or more) seperate documents that have been added into the text over time. Since the texts have been edited and changed, they are no longer legitimate.

Therefore woe be unto those who write the Book with their hands and then say, "This is from Allah," that they may purchase a small gain therewith. Woe unto them for that their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby. (Qur’an 2:79)

The Qur'an often hints at things and then they are expanded upon in credible hadiths. For example, the Qur'an tells us to pray, but the hadiths tell us how. In the context of the holy texts being corrupted or changed, the Qur'an hints that it has (or will) happen, and the hadiths expand on it.

This is from Bukhari which is one of the most credible hadiths available:

'Abdullah bin 'Abbaas said, "O the group of Muslims! How can you ask the people of the Scriptures about anything while your Book which Allah has revealed to your Prophet contains the most recent news from Allah and is pure and not distorted? Allah has told you that the people of the Scriptures have changed some of Allah's Books and distorted it and wrote something with their own hands and said, 'This is from Allah', so as to have a minor gain for it. Won't the knowledge that has come to you stop you from asking them? No, by Allah, we have never seen a man from them asking you about that (the Book Al-Qur’an) which has been revealed to you.

InvestigateTruth

Keep in mind that the hadiths came later. God wouldnt ask the people to turn to a text that didn't exist yet.
Ok, However, as you mentioned, for example, the Quran asks people to say Salat, but doesn't say how. Then there are Hadithes, which explains how. So, it seems to me, the Quran does not have all the details required to be performed by Moslems. So, if that is the case, does the Quran ask the Muslems to refer to Hadith or Directions of the Prophet in order to learn about those details that are not found in Quran? I think, that might be a reasonable expectations.

Those verses about the Gospel and Torah do exist, but the Qur'an also specifies that any changes made to the Books will make them illegitimate:
"No change can there be in the Words of Allah." (Qur'an 10:64).

Regarding Ayeh 10:64:

"For them are good tidings in the worldly life and in the Hereafter. No change is there in the words of Allah . That is what is the great attainment."
It seems to me, this means, when Allah promises about good tidings, He does not change what he promises, He keeps His word.
I am well aware that Muslems believe that Bible is significantly corrupted, but the problem that I see with that, are at least 2 things (for now).
One is that, the Quran would contradict itself, since according to the verses I posted before, God asked People of the Book, who were Living at the time of Muhammad, refer to Gospel and use it.
The second problem is a major issue. Because, if after Jesus left the world, and His Book was corrupted, then those people living for about 600 years from Jesus till Muhammad, were left with a corrupted Book and were mislead? If that is the case, how would God leave His people with a corrupted and misleading Book for 600 years, and why He did not send a prophet to them earlier to tell them? He did not care? The Kind God, just watched them follow a corrupted Book?

Most Biblical scholars agree that the OT and the Gospel have been edited by many sources, and are even made up of 4 (or more) seperate documents that have been added into the text over time. Since the texts have been edited and changed, they are no longer legitimate.
Even if that is the case, still those two problems are not solved.

Therefore woe be unto those who write the Book with their hands and then say, "This is from Allah," that they may purchase a small gain therewith. Woe unto them for that their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby. (Qur’an 2:79)
How does this verse tell us, that these people which the verse is rebuking are the scribers who wrote the Injil and Torat?

This is from Bukhari which is one of the most credible hadiths available:
'Abdullah bin 'Abbaas said, "O the group of Muslims! How can you ask the people of the Scriptures about anything while your Book which Allah has revealed to your Prophet contains the most recent news from Allah and is pure and not distorted? Allah has told you that the people of the Scriptures have changed some of Allah's Books and distorted it and wrote something with their own hands and said, 'This is from Allah', so as to have a minor gain for it. Won't the knowledge that has come to you stop you from asking them? No, by Allah, we have never seen a man from them asking you about that (the Book Al-Qur’an) which has been revealed to you.
By changing and writing it does not necessarily mean, they actually altered the text of the Injil, but it can mean, that they changed the meaning of these Books, when they wrote interpretations of these Books.

Last edited:

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
In a case study of comparative religion, I would compare the Qur'an to the Bible as scripture, and the Hadith to the Talmud for example in the teachings of religious thinkers who elaborate on their scriptures and on their tradition.

Also, lets keep in mind that the belief that the Bible is 'corrupated, changed too much' etc. is very subjective, and has a strong appeal to validating the Muslim faith.
Personally, after studying the two texts, I find the Bible to far surpass the Qur'an to the point of no comparison. The only saving grace, is that I have yet to take the challenge to read the Qur'an in the original Classical Arabic, as I do with the Bible in Classical Hebrew.
Eid Mubarak.

Last edited:

InvestigateTruth

In a case study of comparative religion, I would compare the Qur'an to the Bible as scripture, and the Hadith to the Talmud for example in the teachings of religious thinkers who elaborate on their scriptures and on their tradition.

Also, lets keep in mind that the belief that the Bible is 'corrupated, changed too much' etc. is very subjective, and has a strong appeal to validating the Muslim faith.
Personally, after studying the two texts, I find the Bible to far suppress the Qur'an to the point of no comparison. The only saving grace, is that I have yet to take the challenge to read the Qur'an in the original Classical Arabic, as I do with the Bible in Classical Hebrew.
Eid Mubarak.

Well, maybe there is a similarity between the Authentic Hadithes and the Bible in a sense that both were written and collected long after the Founder of their Faith.

The Moslem Hadithes are not considered a direct word of God, but still a guidance and inspiring for the Moslems. Also, I think Moslems generally agree that even the Authentic Hadithes are not perfectly accurate, in a sense that they are not exactly the words or sentences that Muhammad said. However, these Authentic Hadithes, are not considered corrupted, just because there is inaccuracies in them.

Likewise, the Bible may not be considered a direct word of God, in a sense that was not written at the time of Jesus, and there could be inaccuracies in the Bible, but still is not corrupted. So, inaccuracy does not mean corruption. Moreover these inaccuracies that even Christian scholars agree, are very minor, and not fundamental.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

also:

The quran is mentioning the law which actually haven't changed but in reality the people of the book aren't following the commandments anymore such as christians believing that their sins are forgived through Jesus pbuh and i don't really have any idea if Jews still following thye same law in reality

The ten commandments are :

ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

THREE: 'You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'

FOUR: 'Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'

FIVE: 'Honor your father and your mother.'

SIX: 'You shall not murder.'

SEVEN: 'You shall not commit adultery.'

EIGHT: 'You shall not steal.'

NINE: 'You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

Reference: 10 Commandments

InvestigateTruth

The quran is mentioning the law which actually haven't changed but in reality the people of the book aren't following the commandments anymore such as christians believing that their sins are forgived through Jesus pbuh and i don't really have any idea if Jews still following thye same law in reality

TWO: 'You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'

TEN: 'You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.'

Ok, that's right. Also, this verse too:

So, it seems that additional to the Law, Quran also askes the people of the Book to stand fast by the Gospel.
Gospel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Ok, that's right. Also, this verse too:

So, it seems that additional to the Law, Quran also askes the people of the Book to stand fast by the Gospel.
Gospel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Exactly muslims don't deny the holy books eventhough there was some changes on it.

THE FUNDAMENTAL ARTICLES OF IMAN (FAITH)

To believe in:
1. Allah
2. His Angels
3. His revealed Books
4. His Messengers
5. The Day of Resurrection
6. Al-Qadr; Whatever Allah has ordained must come to pass (In other words, fate and destiny).

Reference : Basics of Islam - Five Pillars of Islam and 6 Pillars of Iman

InvestigateTruth

Exactly muslims don't deny the holy books eventhough there was some changes on it.

THE FUNDAMENTAL ARTICLES OF IMAN (FAITH)

To believe in:
1. Allah
2. His Angels
3. His revealed Books
4. His Messengers
5. The Day of Resurrection
6. Al-Qadr; Whatever Allah has ordained must come to pass (In other words, fate and destiny).

Reference : Basics of Islam - Five Pillars of Islam and 6 Pillars of Iman

So, what do you believe about Al-Qadr?
Do you believe in Bada?
Bada' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or for example:

"Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. t is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever" Exodus 31:16-17

In Quran:

And you had already known about those who transgressed among you concerning the sabbath, and We said to them, "Be apes, despised." 2:65

Or God asked Abraham to Sacrifice His Son, later He said sacrifice the Ram.

or according to the Qur'an, God originally appointed thirty nights of worship for Moses, and later increased it to forty nights before granting him the Torah:
And We appointed with Musa a time of thirty nights and completed them with ten (more), so the appointed time of his Lord was complete forty nights
—Qur'an , [Quran 7:142]
The wisdom behind the change in the length of appointment was only known afterwards, wherein the people took to disbelief:
And remember We appointed forty nights for Moses, and in his absence ye took the calf (for worship), and ye did grievous wrong.
—Qur'an , [Quran 2:51]

Harmonious

Fear, I hope you are aware that there are actually 613 commandments, not just 10. And Jews who care about such things are following the same law that we ever did, for the laws that are available to follow.

Last edited:

Harmonious

Personally, after studying the two texts, I find the Bible to far suppress the Qur'an to the point of no comparison. The only saving grace, is that I have yet to take the challenge to read the Qur'an in the original Classical Arabic, as I do with the Bible in Classical Hebrew.
Eid Mubarak.
Um... Did you mean "suppress," or did you mean "surpass"?

Typos happen, so I'm not sure what you meant.

Harmonious

This makes sense to me.

no-body

The hadiths are like all the misconceptions and erroneous beliefs people tack on to the bible but given actual validity. Still think it is one of the worst ideas ever.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
So, what do you believe about Al-Qadr?
Do you believe in Bada?
Bada' - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or for example:

"Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. t is a sign between Me and the sons of Israel forever" Exodus 31:16-17

In Quran:

And you had already known about those who transgressed among you concerning the sabbath, and We said to them, "Be apes, despised." 2:65

Or God asked Abraham to Sacrifice His Son, later He said sacrifice the Ram.

or according to the Qur'an, God originally appointed thirty nights of worship for Moses, and later increased it to forty nights before granting him the Torah:
And We appointed with Musa a time of thirty nights and completed them with ten (more), so the appointed time of his Lord was complete forty nights
—Qur'an , [Quran 7:142]
The wisdom behind the change in the length of appointment was only known afterwards, wherein the people took to disbelief:
And remember We appointed forty nights for Moses, and in his absence ye took the calf (for worship), and ye did grievous wrong.
—Qur'an , [Quran 2:51]

i don't believe that god already planned all our future from the day we born,otherwise why we pray for god to help us in adversity.

Al-Qadr(Fate) is misunderstood by many muslims and christians that god already programmed their future life and that make no sense at all for some others including me.

But we have to accept Al-Qadr(fate) as from god and can be changed at anytime by god if he wanted to.if i'll have a good job by tomorrow then i should believe that god have made it easy for me to have such job or if i made a project and succeed,then also i should accept and thank god for what happened to me,also if i'll have a trouble by tomorrow,then i should accept my Qadr which is also from god and should thank him always and asking for his mercy to overcome my troubles.

But main events on the universe are already planned by god,like the second return of Jesus pbuh,that is already planned for and other events before Jesus return such us the increasing of natural disasters (earthquakes),that people will be irreligious,the advanced world...etc.

One example that god can help a person and change his trajedy to joy and happiness and according to his will.

That person eventhough that he was an atheist but he felt at one point that god do exist and he turned to him asking for his help,so that person accepted the Qadr and turned his face to god for help and god helped him in a Miraculous way.

[youtube]5Gr54pYc3Ak[/youtube]
How I came to Islam - Dr. Laurence Brown | Interfaith Issues - Episode 3 - YouTube

InvestigateTruth

But main events on the universe are already planned by god,like the second return of Jesus pbuh,that is already planned for and other events before Jesus return such us the increasing of natural disasters (earthquakes),that people will be irreligious,the advanced world...etc.
Well, the coming of advanced world and increase of irreligion in my view are passed.
But with regards to increasing of natural disasters, are there Authentic Hadithes, or Muhkamat (Clear) verses of Quran, to support this belief?

Last edited:

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Well, the coming of advanced world and increase of irreligion in my view are passed.
But with regards to increasing of natural disasters, are there Authentic Hadithes, or Muhkamat (Clear) verses of Quran, to support this belief?

There are Authentic hadiths about the increasing frequency for earthquakes and for other events but IMO such events are already planned by god to happen according to his will at one point of time as we can see it today but that won't mean that god have to know each one of us whether to die as a believer or as an atheist..etc.we have our free will to choose according to our faith and how each one of us will react according to such events.

Some events which already planned to happen in future times and informed by the prophet

The Hour (Last Day) will not be established until ... earthquakes will be very frequent.(Bukhari)

The poor will grow in number.(Amal Al-Din Al-Qazwini, Mufid Al-'ulum Wa-mubid Al-humum)

Gains will be shared out only among the rich, with no benefit to the poor.(Tirmidhi)

There will be prevalence of open illegal sexual intercourse.(Bukhari)

The Hour will come when adultery becomes widespread.(Al-Haythami, Kitab al-Fitan)

The Last Hour will not be established until they (wicked people) commit adultery on the roads (public ways).(Ibn Hibban and Bazzar)

Men will imitate women; and Women will imitate men.(Allama Jalaluddin Suyuti, Durre-Mansoor)

People will indulge in homosexuality and lesbianism(Al-Muttaqi Al-Hindi, Muntakhab Kanzul Ummaal)

There are also similar ahadith which showing how the end times will look like.

References :
Signs of the Last Day - Earthquakes
Islamic Identity: Minor signs of the day of judgment, which have already happened?!

[youtube]x_obnjFWY2U[/youtube]
Islamic Signs of the Hour and The End Times - YouTube

InvestigateTruth

Some events which already planned to happen in future times and informed by the prophet

The Hour (Last Day) will not be established until ... earthquakes will be very frequent.(Bukhari)

Ok, there are verses that are in the Quran like this:

“When the Earth with her quaking shall quake And the Earth shall cast forth her burdens…”
(Surih XCIX, "The Earthquake", vv. 1-2) [99:1-2]

I believe these verses represent the power of revelation of God in a symbolic langauage.

For example we see in Quran:

“If We had sent down this Qur'an upon a mountain, you would have seen it humbled and coming apart from fear of Allah . And these examples We present to the people that perhaps they will give thought.” Quran 59:21

Also in previous revelations, similar symbolic language is used in Quran. For example:
“Thus was it until our sentence came to pass, and the earth's surface boiled up. We said, "Carry into it one pair of every kind, and thy family, except him on whom sentence hath been passed, and those who have believed." But there believed not with him except a few. “(Surih XI, "Houd", v. 42) [11:42]

The light is the symbol of guidance:

“And the earth shall shine with the light of her Lord.” (Zumar – 39:69)