• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you believe the world will end?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
The world is going to end one day, that’s for sure. In a few million years it will be consumed by our sun, which is going to expand and engulf the innermost planets of the solar system. And a big asteroid may crash into it, thus snuffing out all but the most basic and hardy life-forms…

But what does your religion have to say about how it’s going to end?

Homer end.gif

As a Christian, this is my understanding:​
  1. Jesus Christ returns to Earth from Heaven​
  2. Jesus Christ raptures the elect, who go up to heaven​
  3. A period of great tribulation occurs on Earth​
  4. Jesus Christ returns to Earth from Heaven (again)​
  5. Jesus Christ rules over Earth for a whole millennium​
  6. Everyone alive on Earth and who were dead before the rapture occurred are judged and given an appropriate after-life​
  7. Planet Earth is discontinued​
That is my understanding of Christian eschatology, and I know that within Christianity there are many different views - which I would be interested to hear - But also from people of other faiths…

(and I believe that stage 1 is imminent)​

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But what does your religion have to say about how it’s going to end

I see that man will live in peace, in an ever advancing civilisation under the guidance of God. I see earth will be here for a very long time to come.

Regards Tony

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
As a Buddhist, it will be consumed by our sun. Thinking about it, it will be consumed by our sun, whatever I may call myself.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
In around 5 billion years the sun will go red giant and render the inner solar system uninhibitable. Whether it pushes the inner planets outward or consumes them is a moot point.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Perhaps the world is a thing with no vestige of a beginning and no prospect of an end, to pull a quote entirely out of context. The Earth will one day be gone but I don't believe that the Earth is identical to the world.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
The world is going to end one day, that’s for sure. In a few million years it will be consumed by our sun, which is going to expand and engulf the innermost planets of the solar system. And a big asteroid may crash into it, thus snuffing out all but the most basic and hardy life-forms…

View attachment 40787

6. Everyone alive on Earth and who were dead before the rapture occurred are judged and given an appropriate after-life​
That is my understanding of Christian eschatology, and I know that within Christianity there are many different views - which I would be interested to hear - But also from people of other faiths…

that is my basic understanding except for #7. A little fuzzy there for me and it is mostly due to typologies, analogies and how we interpret today what was written 2,000 years ago.

"A New Earth" can mean just the same as "a new creation" where the format is different but everything is still there

Daemon Sophic

View attachment 40787

Interesting. I admit that I know almost zero chapter and verse of the Christian bible.
—. Where does it discuss these numbers 1 through 7 in the Bible?

—. Also, what makes you feel that now, in the eyeblink of time that coincidentally contains your own time on Earth, will also contain the return of Jesus Christ from heaven?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
—. Where does it discuss these numbers 1 through 7 in the Bible?
I have no idea :oops:

I am only aware of the teaching, I don't know the scripture although I should imagine it is dispersed over the New Testement (?)

—. Also, what makes you feel that now, in the eyeblink of time that coincidentally contains your own time on Earth, will also contain the return of Jesus Christ from heaven?
I have it on (what to me is) good authority that it is going to happen "shortly" (whatever that means...) but I don't have a date, however I believe it is currently in motion

Also, I think these current times feel a lot like End Times: disease, environmental crisis, mass extinctions, state violence and civil unrest, war - all that kind of stuff. Where are we going as a species? I think the outlook is bleak and that we really need Jesus to return and sort it all out! I see no other way forward.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
How will it all end? For the Earth, no doubt consumed by our expanding Sun, if the scientists are right. Life on the planet may be gone before that by some cataclysmic event - of which there are numerous possibilities. But perhaps humans might have moved elsewhere to continue their existence - not that optimistic of this though.

I suspect End Times have been a major factor in the lives of so many in the past too - but apparently we are still here. :oops:

(Obviously coming from a non-faith perspective)

Daemon Sophic

I have no idea :oops:

I am only aware of the teaching, I don't know the scripture although I should imagine it is dispersed over the New Testement (?)

I have it on (what to me is) good authority that it is going to happen "shortly" (whatever that means...) but I don't have a date, however I believe it is currently in motion

Also, I think these current times feel a lot like End Times: disease, environmental crisis, mass extinctions, state violence and civil unrest, war - all that kind of stuff. Where are we going as a species? I think the outlook is bleak and that we really need Jesus to return and sort it all out! I see no other way forward.
c6cc09602c3151a2699fc22241c5d481.jpg

You are far from alone, now, and throughout history....:rolleyes: ;)
List of dates predicted for apocalyptic events - Wikipedia

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I don't have a religion

but I like science documentaries

and one fellow seated among many doom sayers…...pointed out....

this planet has resources enough for 9billion people
that's it

so.....If I live another twenty years
and I might
I will live long enough for the strife to begin

and if I live long as did my sainted grandparents
and I might
I will live long enough to see someone push that damn button
and blow it all to hell

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
My religion talks about Yugas. We live in Kali Yuga now, which started ca. 5000 years ago and lasts ca. 400.000 years

No need to start packing yet:D

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I agree about feeling like The End Times are near. But I don't think God is going to rescue us. I think God's mostly the problem.

The primitive ethics of the ancient people who invented Abrahamic God plainly don't work in the world as it is today. But the world is dominated by Islamo-Christian culture. People can easily justify ugly behavior by picking the Scripture that supports it, and ignoring moral issues that aren't mentioned in The Bible or Qur'an.

So I expect that, within this century, people will go to war over the dwindling resources. The advanced weaponry used will push the already collapsing biosphere over the edge into destruction. Civilization as we know it will end. Kinda like that asteroid killed off the big dinosaurs, we humans will kill off ourselves and most of the other large vertebrates.

But the earth will keep spinning and life will go on without us.
Tom

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
this planet has resources enough for 9billion people

Does it?
Enough for 9 billion under current circumstances, maybe. But what if all those desperately poor billions of people, who currently live on practically nothing, start demanding and fighting for a more equitable share?
Tom

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Myself, I’ve been taught differently.
Psalms 115:16; Ecclesiastes 1:4.Revelation 21:3-4, speaking about the future, states “the tent of God is with mankind

Why do you think the planet will be destroyed?
Are you basing that on 2 Peter 3?

If so, you might like this previous thread.....

"New Heavens and New Earth" - Why Destroy the Old?

(Please note that “Earth” can mean the people on it)

February-Saturday

Devil Worshiper
I don't believe that the world will end, because I don't believe that it ever began. This world is an illusion and little more than a distraction from spiritual cultivation. Whatever its fate might be, it's just more of the same.