• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you be a Christian when the Bible is so faulty?

ecco

Veteran Member
Christianity is a relationship with jesus not the bible. Develop your own relationship with god...
I feel you dont need the bible to know jesus. Others are dependent on it. Depends on where your preference to find your spirituality: from the source or from people who write about it (first hand or second hand experiences)
Are you the same Unveiled Artist who was extolling the virtues of Buddhism over Christianity in another thread?

Thank you atheists... (post #147)
The Buddha is a theist.
The Dharma has Indian cosmology.
It has supernatural elements. The core is not supernatural. It isnt irrational; thereby, not superstitious.
Not all supernatural things are irrational beliefs.
Its not christianity.​

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Are you the same Unveiled Artist who was extolling the virtues of Buddhism over Christianity in another thread?

The Buddha is a theist.
It has supernatural elements. The core is not supernatural. It isnt irrational; thereby, not superstitious.
Its not christianity.​

No sarcasm. I hate statements phrased as a rethorical assumptized question. It leads to arguments not discussions.

What in the world are you talking about?

Rephrase your statement

David T

Premium Member
Everything has a crack in it that's how mosquitoes and rats and wasps get in.

ecco
As an avid outdoors type that's exactly what I tell everyone. Don't come out here it's awful trust me!!!!

rrobs

I am of the opinion that Jesus was perhaps really god. There may be truth in Christianity. But the Bible is full of so many contradictions and mistakes that it puts me off. How can I become a Christian when the Bible is so full of imperfections?
You may consider that what appears to be contradictions in the Bible are due to either bad translations or your understanding.

It is all to easy to be misled by orthodox doctrine and tradition which usually has very little to do with the actual Bible. Most people "know" what the Bible says before they actually give it an honest look for themselves. I think the general idea is that Jesus came to be an example for us to follow. Depending on how well you do that you may or may not get into heaven. All in all, most tradition makes very little sense. I believe the orthodox church has done more to screw up the Bible message than all the non-believers combined that ever lived.

The first thing you mentioned was that you believe Jesus might be God. Where did you get that idea? Does it really say that in the Bible, or is it just one of those things everybody knows because of church doctrine? You need to be honest with yourself as to how much of the Bible you really know from your own study.

There is a story in Acts 11 where Paul preached to a group of people. Instead of just believing everything Paul told them, it says, "they searched the scriptures daily to see if those things were true." That's what you need to do. If you can't understand something about the Bible then just admit you don't understand it. If it doesn't make sense to you, then just wait until it does. In any case, don't buy into whatever someone tells you just because they have advanced degrees in theology.

You, nor anybody else needs to interpret the Bible. It interprets itself, pretty much like anything else your read on a daily basis. People, albeit well meaning people, have made it complicated, mystical, and all but impossible to make any sense out of it. If you want to learn how the Bible interprets itself, I would be glad to help you.

we-live-now

I am of the opinion that Jesus was perhaps really god. There may be truth in Christianity. But the Bible is full of so many contradictions and mistakes that it puts me off. How can I become a Christian when the Bible is so full of imperfections?

What if you don't become a Christian but merely realize that God's word is already written in your heart (James 1:21) and that there truly is only ONE life called "the" life (John 14:6) and it is your very life that makes your body move each day?

As for the "Bible", the original meaning has been lost in the translations by man. However, even if you spend thousands of hours studying the original words (as I have) you will still find there is "one" (whole part) always "missing". It always leads to separation or division of your heart and mind via "dualism" or "double-vision" (Matt 6:22).

Could it be this "missing one" (Luke 15) that erases the double vision is the living word written into your heart as mentioned in James 1:21?

Ellen Brown

For me, truth is where I find it. There are lots of scriptures that really accuse Christian cultures, yet most of us just go on doing as we wish. I'm frustrated, and have largely withdrawn from conventional religion. The words and principles of Jesus the Christ carry a lot of weight with me. Perhaps it is not the Bible that is so flawed? Perhaps it is us that interpret it in a flawed way? I see the KJV Bible as the best for me, not because it is the best, but because I have been around long enough to have heard the various disagreements about it, so know where they are much of the time. In my opinion, many of the newer interpretations of the Bible are much more flawed than the KJV.

There are many issues in the Bible that confuse me, so much of the time I just let them sit until the Spirit gives me a clearer view of the issues. There are lots of people with a "High Need for Authority", and in my mind, two of the places that we see that the most is with Police, and Pastors. Lots of what I see going on gives me the creeps, so I rely on guidance as to what to do about them. Often that means that I am not supposed to do anything but try to make my own life pleasing to the Creator.

One thing I learned from Islamic's is that often hardship is not punishment, but teaching so that we may be more wise. People often say that I am very Zen, though even when I try to find out what that means, I'm just more confused. I have no plans to study Buddhism however.

Seven headed beast

Awaited One
Actually, you're not quite correct on this.

What you need to understand is that the Bible was framed from ancient Babylonian and Sumerian texts, by the council of Nicea, in AD324-326.

The fact is the ancient texts were and remain a valid recurring prophecy, and are coming to pass now for the fourth time.

The council of Nicea added Jesus in there. They thought that he fit the profile of the Christ. The problem and what they failed to grasp, is that the Bible comes to pass at the end of every Age. Jesus was not the Christ because he was 2000 years too early.

The council also added the "forgiveness" lie. There is no forgiveness in order to get in to heaven. The word "forgiveness" or "forgiven" does not appear in the book of Revelation one single time. What it does say in there is that we are "judged by our work" (Rev 20:12) and that is karma, plain and simple.

As for the Bible being wrong, you just don't understand that the text was written in hermetic script, and actually there has never been a completely valid translation, until recently. The thing about hermetic script is that it was made to only be understood by those that need to understand it, and I'm sorry you do not qualify.

The Bible is all completely valid and as dark a read as there ever was. It's nothing more than a recurring end times prophecy.

As for being a "Christian". I'd be inclined to tell you that the "church" is nothing more than a money grubbing industry, and you do not need a "middleman" or "agent" in order to connect to the individual that most people know as "God".

He doesn't go to church on Sunday, why should you?

Gmcbroom

I’m catholic. The holy bible is the words of God in the words of men. It is the errant word of God. Now the holy bible is also a catholic book. Jesus and the apostles used the Old Testament which is why it’s in the Bible. Two apostles and two eyewitnesses wrote the New Testament Peter and John were illiterate but they dictated it which is common even today.

Gmcbroom

To truly understand the holy bible it’s best to use the teachings of the Catholic Church. For Catholics we rely on sacred scripture as well as sacred tradition and the teachings of the magisterium to interpret the holy bible. Otherwise the Bible can be misinterpreted and lead people to damnation.

sanraal

A fallible scripture or unproven facts does not impact my belief in a personal God and the wisdom of Jesus; when I pray, I always feel energy and love ; most religions Buddha, Krishna are good no problem, but my main belief is Jesus as avatar what he taught and how he acted. Corinthians 13 or 1 John 4, true love and care for others is the most important

Almost everyone trying to convince me of not believing has proven themselves to be a know-it-all very, often being theoretical, cold rational, psychological or on the contrary, overtly new age floaty; so I usually ask, then what about your belief, what do you do to make it a better world? Do you help the poor, the needy, people born with handicaps, give love even to people who do not deserve it, like Jesus did? Show me love, you may convince me

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member

The Buddha is a theist.
Its not christianity.

No sarcasm. I hate statements phrased as a rethorical assumptized question. It leads to arguments not discussions.

What in the world are you talking about?

Rephrase your statement
I'll be glad to rephrase it. You are the person who was extolling the virtues of Buddhism over Christianity in another thread.

ecco

Veteran Member
I've gone through thread and the replies...
If you love Jesus, I believe He will show you the way.

I don't see why you are making this such a problem.

When it comes to the Bible, find a good study guide.

The scriptures are to be interpreted inwardly. They then become the key of knowledge.

The Bible isn’t full of contradictions, the person reading it isn’t given the ability to understand.

But upon reading what seems to be a contradiction, is only a miss understanding of what is being said and done.

Then again, you did find a lot a contradictions. The reason you found a lot of contradictions is because there are a lot of contradictions.

The Bible, OT and NT are just stories written by humans putting down their beliefs, thoughts, agendas, persuasive comments, ideals, hopes and fears.

There is no reason to believe it is anything but that. It is definitely not "God's Word".

Take one example, the Sermon on the Mount. Many believe those are the actual words spoken by Jesus/God/SonOfGod. Ask yourself how over 2000 words got accurately recorded. When you give this serious consideration, you will come to see it, and the rest of the Bible, for what it really is.

ecco

Veteran Member
As for the Bible being wrong, you just don't understand that the text was written in hermetic script, and actually there has never been a completely valid translation, until recently. The thing about hermetic script is that it was made to only be understood by those that need to understand it, and I'm sorry you do not qualify.

Yeah.

That's what Muslims say about the Koran - you can't really understand it if you don't read Arabic.

Buddhists will tell you you need years of training and meditation to begin to grasp the truth.

Every religion has it's cop-outs. Here's another: If you believed, you'd understand.

ecco

Veteran Member
Two apostles and two eyewitnesses wrote the New Testament Peter and John were illiterate but they dictated it which is common even today.
Which eyewitnesses? I was of the understanding that the earliest writings, those of Mark, came from around 70 years after the birth of Jesus. Mark was not an eyewitness.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'll be glad to rephrase it. You are the person who was extolling the virtues of Buddhism over Christianity in another thread.

Yes. I don't have Christian values. No where near them. You were trying to make a point but the sarcasm and retorical question/statement messes it up. Gotta rephrase it rather than quoting from different posts of mine. I can't read your mind.

Faithofchristian

I've gone through thread and the replies...

Then again, you did find a lot a contradictions. The reason you found a lot of contradictions is because there are a lot of contradictions.

The Bible, OT and NT are just stories written by humans putting down their beliefs, thoughts, agendas, persuasive comments, ideals, hopes and fears.

There is no reason to believe it is anything but that. It is definitely not "God's Word".

Take one example, the Sermon on the Mount. Many believe those are the actual words spoken by Jesus/God/SonOfGod. Ask yourself how over 2000 words got accurately recorded. When you give this serious consideration, you will come to see it, and the rest of the Bible, for what it really is.

There is no Contradictions, it's just your miss understanding what is being said and done. Just because someone will say there's contradictions, does not mean there is.
Just people having no understanding or knowledge what is being said and done.

People seem to think those men who wrote the bible were just common men.
Not realizing those men were not just common men as we are.

Those men were chosen by God before they were even born. To come into this world for a certain purpose of writing down God's plan for the world.

ecco

Veteran Member
Yes. I don't have Christian values. No where near them. You were trying to make a point but the sarcasm and retorical question/statement messes it up. Gotta rephrase it rather than quoting from different posts of mine. I can't read your mind.
Nah. I think my comments are clear to all who care. Quoting from your various and varied posts shows your thinking. That should not be a problem.