• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do you be a Christian when the Bible is so faulty?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am of the opinion that Jesus was perhaps really god. There may be truth in Christianity. But the Bible is full of so many contradictions and mistakes that it puts me off. How can I become a Christian when the Bible is so full of imperfections?
I don't see why you are making this such a problem. Follow Jesus and the heart of His message. Look at the Bible as man's perhaps well-meaning attempt to inform and teach. This would probably put you in the liberal Christian area of the spectrum. Nothing wrong with that approach and much positive things to gain.

allfoak

Alchemist
  1. I am of the opinion that Jesus was perhaps really god. There may be truth in Christianity. But the Bible is full of so many contradictions and mistakes that it puts me off. How can I become a Christian when the Bible is so full of imperfections?
Stop taking it literally.
Do you really think that there was a garden of Eden with two people called Adam and eve and a talking snake?
The book is allegory and metaphor. The history is not literal it is just a vehicle used to create a book written in the langauge of the soul.
Every name has a meaning. Every plant and animal have meaning beyond the literal.
The poetry and prose is some of the most beautiful writing in the world. Since when do we interpret poetry and prose literally?
Forget Christianity, it's corrupt beyond repair.
Follow your heart.
Know thyself.
The scriptures are to be interpreted inwardly. They then become the key of knowledge.
Luke 11:52 New King James Version (NKJV)
52 “Woe to you lawyers! For you have taken away the key of knowledge. You did not enter in yourselves, and those who were entering in you hindered.”

Clear

Premium Member
Serenely Blue asked : “I am of the opinion that Jesus was perhaps really god. There may be truth in Christianity. But the Bible is full of so many contradictions and mistakes that it puts me off. How can I become a Christian when the Bible is so full of imperfections?” Opening Post

Adrian009 responded : “So if you see so many contradictions and mistakes why would you want to become a Christian?” Post #9

Serenely Blue : “Because I think Jesus really came into this world and that the Holy Spirit is real. I think I am touched by God." Post #13

Hi Serenely Blue:

I think your answer to Adrian009s question touches on the heart of authentic religion. The personal experience with something one believes is metaphysical and real seems so me to be one of the most basic and most prevalent reasons that one enters into a process of belief in God.

As a historian, I view the bible as a historical book that speaks of historical beliefs and historical occurrences. However, it is not perfect and I think the base text and it’s many versions and iterations whether in early oral stories or in the later written histories that became edited and became similar to those bibles read nowadays (“paleo-bibles”), were written and edited by individuals who culled from larger and earlier histories. The bible itself tells us that some of it’s stories come from and refer to extra-biblical histories.

I think that in the process of editing, multiple errors entered into the texts, many glosses and many losses. Also, I think many of the early stories were written, necessarily, from the perspective of the individuals who wrote and edited these stories.

For example, if Noah wrote that “the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth and they covered all the high hills under all the heavens”, Is Noah simply describing the appearance of the land being covered with water from his perspective (i.e. a local flood – possible), or does “land” in this case mean the entire world? (an unlikely contradiction). The Hebrew used here for “land” is ha aretz ( חארצ) and it can mean “world” or simply a local area. For example, the discrete “land of Israel” is “ha aretz”. One interpretation is a contradiction and the other interpretation is not. (the same example can be used with “της γης” (the land) in the Greek Septuagint.

Other versions and interpretations of text also cause contradictions that, with a bit more text, make perfect sense. In genesis 10:25 it refers to “…Peleg, for in his days the earth was divided.”. Some individuals have interpreted this to mean that the original single continent divided up into separate continents in these days, whereas Jubilees (another Genesis) retains the remainder of the text which describes the land being divided among the various sons during this time period.

Thus, in one interpretation, the continents shifted rapidly (an unlikely contradiction) whereas in another version of genesis, the land is simply divided up among the family tribes (a likely scenario).

There are also difficulties with the nature of early histories and the tendency for writers to use the text to justify political and warlike behaviors and thus, the stories can be tainted. The sopherim who edited the masoretic versions admit that they made many changes to the texts, some are inconsequential and others are significant changes. We have no reason to believe that the earliest writers and scribes did not make similar changes and for similar reasons. We don't know what the original text actually said since none of the originals exist.

The core religious message, that is, that individuals have interacted with a God who is powerful and interested in them is retained and the authentic metaphysical experiences (i.e. revelations) that individuals have with God are, I think, the core characteristic of authentic Abrahamic religions in any age.

I think authentic revelation (i.e. barring the fakers and mentally deranged) from God to an individual is the strongest reason and strongest evidence that a God exists.

SerenelyBlue, Good luck coming to your own models of what is happening and why.

Clear
εισιειω

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
I am of the opinion that Jesus was perhaps really god. There may be truth in Christianity. But the Bible is full of so many contradictions and mistakes that it puts me off. How can I become a Christian when the Bible is so full of imperfections?
If you believe Jesus is God then I suggest you take your concerns about contradictions to Him, after all Jesus is the Word and the Bible is His Word. He is capable of answering your questions and clearing up any issues.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
The thing about works that has been taught by Christians is that' faith without works is dead ' as said in the Bible, yet works are nothing to do with salvation. Salvation leads to a heart of faith that shines through in actions. So basically God is saying fix your heart, and the rest will follow.

Also ' judge not lest you be judged', i believe refers to never condemning others, because after all God had grace on all; grace in the sense of not getting what is deserved, but mercy instead. Saving grace! Believers are however to judge actions, but never the soul.

One of my problems with Christianity , is the allegorical stories being taken as literal history. Jesus in Matthew talked about the end times to come comparing them with the days of Noah. Its as if the scriptures were supposed to be taken literally, and i just cant reasonably, and rationally ever do it.

I best read The Bible as stories about mercy, reconciliation, mercy, and redemption. Those themes run throughout the whole NT, and on remnants of people in the OT.

I definetly find that a lot of the book of the law is ritualistic religious sacrifice, and violent rules and ordinances that make no just sense.

I myself dont see clear lines of distinction in what is just and unjust and i dont see consistency with the OT God, and the God of the NT. How does God go from commanding to kill the wicked, to then later having mercy on sinners? Sin being wickedness.

Ultimately there has to be better books available about the realities of non violence, mercy, forgiveness, non judgment, wise discretion, moral codes and redemption. It would be a great scientific study to see the effectiveness, causes, and reasons for and against these themes of practice, and conviction.

Miracle

Christian
But the Bible is full of so many contradictions and mistakes that it puts me off.

The Bible isn’t full of contradictions, the person reading it isn’t given the ability to understand. The Bible isn’t for people to just read and understand. There are verses with the intention of leading people to salvation when they read and other things that the spirit of God will give you understanding for.

In short, you need to have the spirit of God to understand the words of God. After all,

“Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.”
‭‭2 Peter‬ ‭1:20-21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Meaning every word in the Bible is inspired by God, it is God's love (not excluding the truth, regardless of how hard it is) letter to the world.

In short, there are no contradictions, people simply don’t understand the scriptures. (Hey, isn’t that why we go to church? Probably. However, not many people are true Christians therefore not many people can/are qualified to teach the scriptures.)

Noahs ark

What about Noah’s ark is a contradiction?

Evolution instead of creation

What about evolution vs. creation? Where in the Bible is there a contradiction?

Jesus said he will come back in the lifetime of those present

There were many things Jesus Christ said for the audience he spoke to and for those who would be reading his words. That’s the power of God. Jesus Christ can address the disciples and he can also address those who follow him even today, making the Bible a prophecy waiting to be fulfilled by Jesus Christ’s coming.

“To the end he may stablish your hearts unblameable in holiness before God, even our Father, at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ with all his saints.”
‭‭1 Thessalonians‬ ‭3:13‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Christ will come soon. I’m sure you’ve heard people say that over and over again, however, don’t worry Christ will come but first somethingust happen before he does. One last effort to save mankind. [We can talk about that later]

Earthling

David Henson

The Bible isn't full of contradictions, I've closely examined alleged contradictions in the Bible for years and there hasn't been one single contradiction presented to me by skeptics that wasn't a misunderstanding or misinterpretation. Not that there isn't contradictions, mistakes happen, but in the Bible, they are remarkably rare.

Faithofchristian

As to what or how or by who, makes you think the Bible is so full of imperfections ?

The first thing to take note on, is that when the bible KJV 1611, was translated into English, at that time they did the best they could with what tools they had.

Seeing they didn't have the necessary tools to do the best translation, many words got lost in Translation.

To day we have alot of necessary tools, to do a much better job in the translation.

Therefore when I come across words, I use the necessary tools that is provided, to do the best job in the translation of words.

So I don't have any problems with imperfection of words.

Contradictions only comes by, all because people are looking for something that seems to show the Bible in contradictions.

But upon reading what seems to be a contradiction, is only a miss understanding of what is being said and done.

As it is written-- 1st Corinthians 14:33--
--"For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints"

Therefore seeing God is not the author of confusion, that means there is no contradictions either.

So what seems to be a contradiction, best to back to the beginning of the chapter or in some cases back up to the previous chapter and then proceed, in picking up what the subject and Article is about.

But however there are people who will jump claiming to have a contradiction, when they have nothing at all, only miss understanding of what is being said and done.

So seeing that God is not the author of confusion, then God is not the author of contradiction either, that alone should stop a person, ask themselves, if God is not the author of confusion, then I'm miss understanding what is actually being said and done.
But however there are those, that can not handle being showed their error.
But wants to stand fast on their errors.

For these people it is written---"And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie"
2nd Thessalonians 2:11

Now if you chose to believe a lie, then God shall send you strong delusion that you should believe a lie.

Last edited:

Earthling

David Henson
Noahs ark
Contradictions you just have to google. There are boatloads.

Noah's ark and Evolution aren't contradictions in the Bible, they are disagreements with the Bible and current science. Science is always correcting itself, which means it's almost always wrong. The weatherman telling you it's going to rain is science, when it doesn't rain the science is wrong. The scientific "facts" is was taught in school are no longer true, just as the ones taught in today's school will stop being facts in the near future.

I would like to think that if you are young you could become a Christian and a scientist, but wouldn't that mean being well informed on both sides? If you are young you are probably surrounded by peers who think that to be a Christian is to be ignorant and to think like them is to be smart, but if you start asking them questions like "What are the capitals of each of the states," or "Who is the vice president" they probably won't appear too smart after all.

Jesus was resurrected in the time of his followers. He never said he was coming back after that and he told his followers that no one, not even him, knew the time of the end.

74x12

Realizing we don't understand is the key to eventually understanding. Because this makes us open to learning something new. Whoever has already formed their opinion on a scripture is more close minded and cannot learn as easily. So take the scriptures you don't understand and wait for the revelation. Some people think that they must instantly have a understanding of every scripture. That's a good way to form incorrect bias and to close yourself off from new revelation. You don't always get it instantly. In fact it could take years. You may not be ready yet. You may have a lot to learn before you can understand one single verse. These scriptures are from God and there is power in them. Unimaginable power.

If you think that maybe Jesus is really God then you should pray for God to show you the truth. If God can't help us; then I wouldn't believe in a God either. I believe in God because He does hear prayer and help.

Miracle

Christian
I loved everything you wrote except this:

He never said he was coming back after that

Jesus did state he was coming back:

“And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.”
‭‭John‬ ‭14:3‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And then shall they see the Son of man coming in the clouds with great power and glory. And then shall he send his angels, and shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from the uttermost part of the earth to the uttermost part of heaven.”
‭‭Mark‬ ‭13:26-27‬ ‭KJV‬‬

“And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:30‬ ‭KJV‬‬

And not to mention the parables. Jesus also referred to Noah and Jonah as examples that judgement will soon fall. His arrival is simply to deliver the righteous before destruction of the world. Just a Noah escaped judgement via ark and the people of Nineveh by adhering to Jonah’s warning.

Take a look:

“For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.”
‭‭Matthew‬ ‭24:38-39‬ ‭KJV‬‬

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I think once a person actually reads the Bible, it eventually dawns over time the Bible is not quite the literary miracle that people say it is.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
So if you see so many contradictions and mistakes why would you want to become a Christian?
That's actually a good question.

I know I didn't once I eventually realized the Bible is full of contradictions, misinformation, and errors that tells me it's no better or worse than any other book out there.

I think some people hesitate because it's basically akin with the famous saying, "Say It Ain't So Joe".

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Because I think Jesus really came into this world and that the Holy Spirit is real. I think I am touched by God.

I think that’s a really good reason, possibly the best reason to become a Christian. In a sense you already are a Christian.

I had a similar experience over 30 years ago and really struggled with the bible and the beliefs and attitudes of many of my fellow Christians.

Through prayer and reflection all the issues that perplexed me were finally resolved. I’m still studying and learning about the bible and will be until I die.

RF has been an excellent forum to advance my understanding and as well as asking the difficult questions.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
That's actually a good question.

I know I didn't once I eventually realized the Bible is full of contradictions, misinformation, and errors that tells me it's no better or worse than any other book out there.

I think some people hesitate because it's basically akin with the famous saying, "Say It Ain't So Joe".

I see the bible as comparable to the Quran, Vedic texts, and Buddhist sutras.

I wouldn’t exalt Christianity over Islam, Buddhism or Hinduism.

Etritonakin

Noahs ark
Contradictions you just have to google. There are boatloads.
The bible in no way contradicts evolution -only assumptions about it do.
The bible does not say the Earth is 6,000 years old -or that Adam was the first humanoid on Earth -and suggests otherwise in both cases.
What Christ said was (emphasis mine) "Truly, I say to you, there are some standing here who will not taste death until they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom”
That indicates that SOME present would taste death. How some would not taste death when others would is another subject.
However, it does not say he would return in the span of one human lifetime.
Similarly, some believe the thief on the cross went to heaven with Christ the day he died -however, Christ said "paradise" -not heaven (the earth will be made a paradise beginning with his return -and the meek shall inherit the earth, etc. -not "heaven") -and Christ did not even ascend that day.
It seems like a contradiction until you reference other verses.
When the thief died, his body returned to dust and his spirit to God -and is as asleep until resurrected later -knowing not the passage of time meanwhile -as written.
Though the thief is still dead, from his perspective, he will have closed his eyes and will awaken as if in the next instant -just as one falls asleep and awakens without personally experiencing the passage of time.

Noah's ark is a huge subject, but if you actually read what is written -and especially notice what is NOT written -it is very different than many assume -and does not say what many believe it does.

We usually view things through a filter of preconceptions and assumptions -and words can be very tricky -especially since we work with imperfect languages created by humans who have limited understanding.

God will actually give us a pure language later -created from his perspective of all present knowledge and understanding of the whole of the situation of what/who he is and what he created...
ZEPH 3:9For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.

Araceli Cianna

I have come to think that the bible (and all sacred texts) are inspired works from God written by man. So there are some gems of truth distorted by the bias and agendas of the humans writing them.