• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do we know the Bible was not written by demons?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

I know I know, because they don’t exist.

But suppose if you believed in demons and believed that demons can impersonate the dead.

Demons could have stolen Lazuras body and impersonated him, and the same for Jesus, or Jesus Himself could even be a demon in league with other demons.
But how would you know that any book wasn't written by some computer? Or by an alien from another world? Or by your next door neighbour plotting your death? Or by an infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters? Or by a committee of angels with an agenda?

One possible way, I suppose, might be to exercise just a modicum of common sense. But heck, if you don't have that, I suppose you'll have to fall back on the demons hypothesis.

Tazarah

Oh and I forgot this one:

2 TIMOTHY 3:16

"16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:"

MJFlores

So one question is, why are both of these characters associated with fire? Is fire a metaphor for purity, or not - how can jesus "baptize with fire" if apparently the stuff is traditionally part of diablo's world as well. Therefore, 'fire' as a metaphor for purity would be divided against itself

The diablo or the devil fears fire - this reality is totally different from what art and Hollywood would like to portray. The proof is in the Bible:

Revelation 20:10 Living Bible (TLB)
Then the devil who had betrayed them will again be thrown into the Lake of Fire burning with sulphur where the Creature and False Prophet are, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

upload_2020-5-5_8-20-23.jpeg

That is the ultimate destiny of the devil, the false prophet and those who are condemned on Judgement Day. So the Hollywood portrayal of the devil as compared to the Biblical description is entirely different.

So how does the Bible rightfully show who the devil is and his minions?

1 Timothy 4:1-3 Living Bible (TLB)
But the Holy Spirit tells us clearly that in the last times some in the church will turn away from Christ and become eager followers of teachers with devil-inspired ideas. These teachers will tell lies with straight faces and do it so often that their consciences won’t even bother them.

They will say it is wrong to be married and wrong to eat meat, even though God gave these things to well-taught Christians to enjoy and be thankful for.

giphy.gif

What church would do that? But that is in the Bible.

izzy88

How do we know that this entire world isn't a deception created by demons? How do I know I'm even interacting with other humans right now? What if none of you are real, none of this is real, because I'm in hell right now? How do we know that's not the case?

amorphous_constellation

The diablo or the devil fears fire - this reality is totally different from what art and Hollywood would like to portray. The proof is in the Bible:

Yes well, I'm not sure if that's how it became traditionally understood, or adapted by people who probably had 'evil forces' ruling over uncomfortable underworlds

In any case, an argument from reading revelation straightaway might portray god as being the ruler of hell. In which case, folk imagery of a ruling devil in hell is not of the actual devil, but rather would be better portrayed as being god, correct? So where in christian folk mythos was he ever portrayed as such. For if god / or jesus baptizes with fire, and even has different qualities like 'fire-breath' as is found in the old testament, then these are qualities that the commonly overlain mythos has seemed to describe as being underworld type qualities.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I know I know, because they don’t exist.

But suppose if you believed in demons and believed that demons can impersonate the dead.

Demons could have stolen Lazuras body and impersonated him, and the same for Jesus, or Jesus Himself could even be a demon in league with other demons.
It's the joy of magic that it will give you anything you want ─ divinities, spirits, souls, demons, fairies, pixies, gnomes, elves, Harry Potter, and of course demons.

Magic, being imaginary, is as wide as imagination.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
View attachment 39652
Accounting books are some of them.
I had to because it is my profession to be an Accounting instructor.
I teach Accountancy to junior and senior college students.
But just as I said, Accounting books cannot make me, my students or anybody wise in the knowledge and faith in Jesus Christ for us to be saved on Judgement Day.
We really need a different book for that.
And that is the Bible
This is my point actually. My answer was in reference not to the judgement day aspect, but the other aspects you mentioned below that.

View attachment 39652
2 Timothy 3:16-17 Living Bible (TLB)
The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us do what is right. It is God’s way of making us well prepared at every point, fully equipped to do good to everyone.

Now if following the instructions of the Holy Scriptures could save through faith in Jesus Christ
then these were not written by someone super evil - like the devil
The Scripture must have been authored by someone holy

1 John 1:5 New International Version (NIV)
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.
Just to clarify, are we able to determine what is true, realize what is wrong in our lives and do what is right without the bible?

danieldemol

Premium Member
This forum could be a demon, your chair could be an apparition, your food could be demonic, maybe everyone on earth. What about our wives, parents, ancestors, dogs, cats, butterflies, maggots, and vision itself?

What if questions like this go nowhere.
I disagree, I think they highlight the absurdity of belief in demons.

danieldemol

Premium Member
This is a fun thought experiment, but it falls apart in my opinion if we consider the Bible to be the source of what we know about demons. That is, if we use the Bible to come up with the definition of what demons are, they couldn't have written the Bible.
Why, wouldn’t demons know about and be able to write about demons?

Besides, the NT considers the question of whether or not Jesus had a demon or was in league with demons.
Yes, those arguments were debunked in post #17, did you read it?

Sp0ckrates

I do not think either, I’m just pointing out that if demons exist we have no way of knowing whether the Bible is demonic deception or not.
I see, thanks! I mean, let’s look at it in the context of probable motives. Not sure if you believe in God or gods. Please tell me if this is an incorrect assumption, if you don’t. Would you demons want to accomplish what God or the gods do not?

MJFlores

Yes well, I'm not sure if that's how it became traditionally understood, or adapted by people who probably had 'evil forces' ruling over uncomfortable underworlds

In any case, an argument from reading revelation straightaway might portray god as being the ruler of hell. In which case, folk imagery of a ruling devil in hell is not of the actual devil, but rather would be better portrayed as being god, correct? So where in christian folk mythos was he ever portrayed as such. For if god / or jesus baptizes with fire, and even has different qualities like 'fire-breath' as is found in the old testament, then these are qualities that the commonly overlain mythos has seemed to describe as being underworld type qualities.

I do not conform with the teaching that there is an underworld.
Where the damned are condemned [right now].
I do not subscribe to that because that teaching is not in the Bible.
Not even Hitler or Ted Bundy and the gang is presently burning in the fires of hell.

However, I am a film fan - lycans and vampires
And there is a film series
upload_2020-5-5_20-42-45.jpeg

However we should separate what is art from the Bible.

Indeed our Lord God is compared to a fire.

Hebrews 12:29 Living Bible (TLB)
For our God is a consuming fire.

And the Lord Jesus Christ said:

Luke 12:49-50 New International Version (NIV)
I have come to bring fire on the earth, and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to undergo, and what constraint I am under until it is completed!

MJFlores

Just to clarify, are we able to determine what is true, realize what is wrong in our lives and do what is right without the bible?

Without the Bible, we know what is true and right from what is wrong.
However that is not enough to have salvation.
If it is salvation a man wants, well he needs to follow what the world of God says.

There are people of the past and of the present who never heard and never read the Bible.
Will they be saved, come judgement day?
The Bible has this to say:

Romans 2:11-16 New International Version (NIV)

For God does not show favoritism.

All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

images

The heathen natives do not have the Bible
They don't know God and may have worship nature or the spirits of the jungle
However they have their God given conscience - they know what is right from wrong
Will their conscience accuse them or will it defend them on judgement day?
Well, they will find out that too.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Without the Bible, we know what is true and right from what is wrong.
However that is not enough to have salvation.
If it is salvation a man wants, well he needs to follow what the world of God says.

There are people of the past and of the present who never heard and never read the Bible.
Will they be saved, come judgement day?
The Bible has this to say:

Romans 2:11-16 New International Version (NIV)

For God does not show favoritism.

All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law. For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

images

The heathen natives do not have the Bible
They don't know God and may have worship nature or the spirits of the jungle
However they have their God given conscience - they know what is right from wrong
Will their conscience accuse them or will it defend them on judgement day?
Well, they will find out that too.

Thanks, I understand that. Now I think I understand your position.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Fascinating! I mean, do you believe the many letters of Paul the Apostle weren’t written by him but instead by some imposter?

Many? I said some, and yes analysis and history of the letters have determined 'some' were written later. In this age attribution of authorship was looser than today, and these writers would not be considered imposters, The same goes for the gospels the earliest were anonymous texts particularly the synoptic gospels with Mark being the simplist and oldest. and for example John may have not been written t by the apostle John I can go more into the scholarship if you like.