• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do we know the Bible was not written by demons?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Yes, Christians believe this in varying degrees, from inspired to a degree to literal 100% directly written by through the hand of humans, but nonetheless the writers of the New Testament did not refer to the Bible as a whole as 'written or directly inspired by God.

Certainly not as a whole. What they fail to realise is that the different books were in fact written by different people so they clump all of them together as one book.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Certainly not as a whole. What they fail to realise is that the different books were in fact written by different people so they clump all of them together as one book.

The evidence indicates that the gospels were compiled, edited and redacted over a period of time from oral traditions and possibly early documents like maybe Q. Not all the letters of Paul or Peter are known to true to the author, and some are of unknown authorship.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
How soon would you say the earliest original autographs were written in approximate years?
This a little bit of conjecture, because of many unknowns. 'I believe' that the sayings of Jesus, and simple biographies may have existed at around or before 50 AD, with some of Paul's letters and with oral stories handed down, but no evidence exists except for the linguistic understanding of how ancient texts evolve. Earliest known scrapes are found about ~100 to 200 AD, and we see an evolution of the text beyond that.

Messianic Israelite

I know I know, because they don’t exist.

But suppose if you believed in demons and believed that demons can impersonate the dead.

Demons could have stolen Lazuras body and impersonated him, and the same for Jesus, or Jesus Himself could even be a demon in league with other demons.
Hi danieldemol. You're doing the work of a demon by trying to implant doubt in the minds of people regarding the authenticity of the Bible. If you ever try to live according to the Biblical Laws, you'll realise that these Laws allow us to live in a way of life that is Edenic. It brings forth good fruit: love, joy, peace, goodness, kindness, meekness, self-control etc. These aren't the characteristics of demons. Demons are out to discourage, to destroy good, to implant doubt in people's mind regarding the authenticity of the Bible and to doubt the necessity of keeping Yahweh's Laws.

Sp0ckrates

This a little bit of conjecture, because of many unknowns. 'I believe' that the sayings of Jesus, and simple biographies may have existed at around or before 50 AD, with some of Paul's letters and with oral stories handed down, but no evidence exists except for the linguistic understanding of how ancient texts evolve. Earliest known scrapes are found about ~100 to 200 AD, and we see an evolution of the text beyond that.
So, are you thinking this 50+ year gap from the original autographs to the earliest extant copies makes the New Testament unreliable as an historical text?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
So, are you thinking this 50+ year gap from the original autographs to the earliest extant copies makes the New Testament unreliable as an historical text?

The Bible is not a historical text. It is religious narrative text set in history. It contains and describes historical figures and events in particular in the gospels of the life of Jesus. I do not believe there were original autographs.

Less reliable is the Pentateuch. It is a religious narrative compiled and written long after the possible historical facts it describes.

Last edited:

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member

I do consider there were original autographs. I do not rely on the Bible as history, and like I said I consider it a religious narrative set in history. I rely on archaeology, and the diverse Roman historians and documents, and not all of them completely reliable when correlated with archaeology.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

But suppose if you believed in demons and believed that demons can impersonate the dead.

Demons could have stolen Lazuras body and impersonated him, and the same for Jesus, or Jesus Himself could even be a demon in league with other demons.
We just have to remember that we are responsible for something we don't know yet.

Sp0ckrates

I do consider there were original autographs. I do not rely on the Bible as history, and like I said I consider it a religious narrative set in history. I rely on archaeology, and the diverse Roman historians and documents, and not all of them completely reliable when correlated with archaeology.
Fair enough, thanks! When you say you consider there were original autographs, do you mean you know there were original autographs, of course, but you don’t believe they were written by the individuals who are believed to be their authors? For example, Jesus’ disciples weren’t the original authors of any of the gospels, Luke didn’t write the original book called Acts, and Paul didn’t write the original epistles attributed to him?

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Fair enough, thanks! When you say you consider there were original autographs, do you mean you know there were original autographs, of course, but you don’t believe they were written by the individuals who are believed to be their authors? For example, Jesus’ disciples weren’t the original authors of any of the gospels, Luke didn’t write the original book called Acts, and Paul didn’t write the original epistles attributed to him?

Typo. I do not consider there were original monographs. I apologize.

This is a fun thought experiment, but it falls apart in my opinion if we consider the Bible to be the source of what we know about demons. That is, if we use the Bible to come up with the definition of what demons are, they couldn't have written the Bible.

Besides, the NT considers the question of whether or not Jesus had a demon or was in league with demons.

amorphous_constellation

I find that before your question can be addressed, there is the serious question of who all these new testament demons even are? Their inclusion into the new testament is quite mysterious, considering that they are hardly found in the old testament. I suggest that they were some kind of import, probably to be accessed through the theological crosswinds of the roman empire, which subjected the world to globalization pressure. I think perhaps the case might be built that it was celtic influence, where we might source the particulate nature of the demon spirits and also the mysterious use of triplicate new testament numerology, among other things. Though of course, the role of unseen possessing forces may have been more generally pandemic, where it had simply failed to penetrate the comparatively logical biblical religion from any direction, at least until the society was breaking down. At any rate, Christianity is precisely that in my view: the story of a culture that was succumbing to both globalization and societal breakdown... Such conditions would surely allow theological forces such as 'demons' to easily come to the fore

So with this ramble, I realize I did not address your question but I find that the 'demon' is quite a complicated puzzle piece, and I'm not sure where to start with it

amorphous_constellation

There is no truth in the devil and this was revealed by the Lord Jesus Christ

So one question is, why are both of these characters associated with fire? Is fire a metaphor for purity, or not - how can jesus "baptize with fire" if apparently the stuff is traditionally part of diablo's world as well. Therefore, 'fire' as a metaphor for purity would be divided against itself

Tazarah

The scriptures say that God is in complete control of everything, even Satan/demons.

AMOS 3:6

"6 Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?"

ISAIAH 45:7

"7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things."

MJFlores

I would dispute this.

How many other books do you read apart from the Bible? If you do, of what benefit are they to you?

Text books certainly make a person clever and teaches truths about the world, otherwise we wouldn't be able to apply what they teach in life.

Since there have been books and stories that speak out against murder and lying and how to love others, there are certainly books that approve of certain righteousness in the bible.

upload_2020-5-5_7-58-23.jpeg

Accounting books are some of them.
I had to because it is my profession to be an Accounting instructor.
I teach Accountancy to junior and senior college students.
But just as I said, Accounting books cannot make me, my students or anybody wise in the knowledge and faith in Jesus Christ for us to be saved on Judgement Day.
We really need a different book for that.
And that is the Bible

2 Timothy 3:16-17 Living Bible (TLB)
The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us do what is right. It is God’s way of making us well prepared at every point, fully equipped to do good to everyone.

Now if following the instructions of the Holy Scriptures could save through faith in Jesus Christ
then these were not written by someone super evil - like the devil
The Scripture must have been authored by someone holy

1 John 1:5 New International Version (NIV)
This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.