• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do we follow the teaching?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When we accept a religious/spiritual teaching there will be times we do not understand its purpose if some topics, We may ask our self, why does the teaching say this, it sounds unlogical, or we don't understand the way it is meant to teach us something.

When this happens to me, I ask my self, is it me that does not catch the truth of the teaching? or why do I not understand this teaching?
Why is the teaching made so we become a community within the path we chose? how can other people help me understand teaching better or in a different way?

I know I do not hold the answer to all this question even for my own struggle within spiritual life.
But in your spiritual journey, do you face similar questions? and how do you go about trying to understand the teaching?

Do you want to change the teaching to fit your view? or are you changing you self to become closer to how the teaching teaches you is the right way (within that teaching, not other teachings)

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Each teaching is different, So, the answers to your questions are also different, depending on the specific situation.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
how do you go about trying to understand the teaching?
IF I really want to know, then I sit down (or lay down), and focus on breathing or God's name, until mind stops
In Silence the Voice of God is heard, and answers are revealed

leov

When we accept a religious/spiritual teaching there will be times we do not understand its purpose if some topics, We may ask our self, why does the teaching say this, it sounds unlogical, or we don't understand the way it is meant to teach us something.

When this happens to me, I ask my self, is it me that does not catch the truth of the teaching? or why do I not understand this teaching?
Why is the teaching made so we become a community within the path we chose? how can other people help me understand teaching better or in a different way?

I know I do not hold the answer to all this question even for my own struggle within spiritual life.
But in your spiritual journey, do you face similar questions? and how do you go about trying to understand the teaching?

Do you want to change the teaching to fit your view? or are you changing you self to become closer to how the teaching teaches you is the right way (within that teaching, not other teachings)
it is hard to understand teachings that are not of our cultural background. Eight fold noble path is a general way, i think. it is universal. Or as Paul suggested:
14"But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil"

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Please forgive the interjection? Understanding and Knowing are two very different things.

@stvdv , I think the prescription you offered is beautiful, perfect. But, in a way, it skips over understanding, in favor of knowledge.

Understanding is in the mind
With "Really want to know" I mean feeling it in the heart
So, when Understanding sinks in, and when it's felt in the heart, it's digested well

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

love is expressed in myriad forms. but it is recognized best as an action. it's friendly, calming, soothing. sigh

micah 4:4
Everyone will sit under their own vine and under their own fig tree, and no one will make them afraid, for the LORD Almighty has spoken.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Please forgive the interjection? Understanding and Knowing are two very different things.

@stvdv , I think the prescription you offered is beautiful, perfect. But, in a way, it skips over understanding, in favor of knowledge.
Yes Knowing and understanding is two differences :)

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
For me the spiritual teachings of the Baha'i Faith is a way of life and relationships. Everything is considered in terms of the universal. I simply live this life despite all my fallible human failings.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
My background is in science, I always filter religious teachings through objectively-derived evidence, which inevitably tends to raise eyebrows much of the time. However, here at RF, I do tend to play "devil's advocate" quite often, which undoubtedly makes some people at least scratch their heads trying to figure out where I'm coming from.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Science my background is in science, I always filter religious teachings through objectively-derived evidence, which inevitably tends to raise eyebrows much of the time. However, here at RF, I do tend to play "devil's advocate" quite often, which undoubtedly makes some people at least scratch their heads trying to figure out where I'm coming from.
Oh I have scratched my head a few times too :p But most of the time i soon realize where you are at and what you are wanting to say.
I think i understand anyway :confused:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
it sounds unlogical...how do you go about trying to understand the teaching?

Understanding is in the mind
With "Really want to know" I mean feeling it in the heart
So, when Understanding sinks in, and when it's felt in the heart, it's digested well

@stvdv expresses it well. That understanding has been expressed in many different words including, for example, the movie "They Might Be Giants":

"The human heart can see what's hidden to the eyes, and the heart knows things that the mind does not begin to understand."