• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I explain?

Until last year I was a full on Catholic and in the last two years I have really started to become a full wiccan. I love my faith now I feel like I am apart of something great.

The only problem is that I go to a catholic high school and when I wear a pentagram I get werid looks and quiet comments from my teachers and fellow classmates. How can I explain to them my religion is part of me and something they don't have to be scared of. Many of them are.
Please help.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
In that kind of environment I wouldn't even try. From what I've experienced, the more you try to explain that you're not evil and what-not, the more they'll believe that you are. My advice would be to start wearing the pentacle inside your shirt and not to bring up Wicca or Paganism unless you're asked.

double coven

Wicca Witch of the West
I would have to disagree, you have to stand up for what you believe in, if you don't your just conforming which allot of people will want you to do. I say you should have a discussion with your class, telling them that Wicca is earth based, and that our values aren't that different from what they believe (such as the three fold law) although I think you should take a stand, I have to agree with Gentoo as to wearing your pentacle inside your shirt, (although it shouldn't) the Wiccan pentagram strikes fear in many hearts, and until you have built an understanding with your school, keep it inside.

AlsoAnima

Friend
I think the best thing to do is to express yourself in the way your comfortable with, and if questioned quietly correct any misconception people may have because of a bad background.

You can only hope that the people around you will be wise enough not to be affected by the difference of faith.

Good Luck.

P.S. If you or they enjoy religious discussion you can point out that Christianity and Wicca have a lot in common in the place of values.

Francis

UBER-Christian
Well, to answer this from the viewpoint of a Rc who goes to Catholic school: It depends. I'm a little worried, because, well, I'm RC. :( I find it sad that someone has left my church. I hope you find the truth. Anyways, this isn't what the post is about. I would recommend that you keep on doing what you're doing! These kids really probably are way too sheltered from other faiths, and when they leave that school they might be shocked. So no, don't stop. It might be good for them, and also, you might need to get used to it. Better be surrounded by friends before this happens somewhere else. Just try not to get mad at them. Chances are, they're just worried about you. Imagine how they might feel. Peace!

They probably think you're a "satanist", or at the very least that you're going to hell. I doubt most of them will ever accept your religion, so you might as well keep it to yourself for the time being.

It may not be the right thing to do, but if I was a wiccan at a catholic high school, I'd never tell anyone.

Alva

In the summer holidays before entering my catholic school, I've discovered wicca :) 4 years latter I have a coven with 2 other girls from school. Though I´ve never weared a pentagram I´ve met my friend anyway=) and when I was asked of my relation with god, I would answer that I believe in the values that Christianity and Wicca share (I agree with AlsoAnima)

Nada temas (portuguese for "fear nothnig")* ;)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
To be on honest, I think this sort of decision really depends on you, your relationship with your friends, and your relationship with your family.

You should stand up for what you believe, and you may be a positive influence for tolerance.

But also, it may be banging your head against a brick wall and may break some important relationships causing undo and dangerous stress and conflict for you.

You need to decide whether or not its worth it. Just remember that someday you can be in a place where you can openly be who you are. If you feel that now's the time, go ahead! But if you feel that you can hold out for later and remove the stress of trying to deal with this stuff right now, then that may be more worth it.

I wish you the best of luck! On RF, you can certainly be yourself! :)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
P.S. If you or they enjoy religious discussion you can point out that Christianity and Wicca have a lot in common in the place of values.

Right! For many, the cross and the pentacle represent very similar things (the macrocosm of human, and the connection between humankind and the divine).

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
All I can say is pick your battles wisely. An entire Catholic school isn't one you're going to win. Maybe trying is worth it anyway, that's up to you.

blackout

Violet.
I feel for you honey. :hug:

I am much older than you,
but I was raised by a catholic mom
and later in life was a devout Roman Catholic for almost 10 years.

Now as a LHPer, though I am happier than I ever was as a christian/catholic,
it seems I am doomed to an existence in the closet where I live.
(I'm beginning to think us "Occultists" live "Hidden" because we have no real choice) :(

There is my job and my children's social life to be concerned with.
So much for equal freedom of religion. right?

Anyway the Chaote in me tends to wear things that have meaning/connection personal to ME,
that are not necessairily any symbol or thing,that superstitious people link to any "evil" religion. lol.
I sometimes find the most personal power in "randomly" "found" things.
I infuse them with MY OWN meaning.

But not long ago I felt the desire to wear an upsidedown pentagram.
which would most likely just be a stupid social move on my part
here in christian dominated suburbia.
So the Discordian in me, who loves turning things around,
and looking at them from any and every angle possible
got an idea.
I superimposed the upsidedown pentagram,
with a right side up pentagram,
in differing color strings,
around a circle... and left the ends hanging off to the side on the bottom.

I just let people see what they want, and use it to my advantage.
(which is very occultic actually)
and what they usually see is a dream catcher!
haha.....
(funny how christians don't fall apart over pagan dream catchers) :shrug:

But somehow I have managed to express
many aspects of myself there,
in something (a "cross" of two superimposed symbols ;)) :p
people can not PIN DOWN as a "threatening" thing.

I'm not sugguesting you do as I do...
but maybe you can find your OWN meaning-full variation of the pentagram,
perhaps in conjunction with a cross?
(which you give your own meaning to? --see post #10)
Or FILL IN/"color in" the sections of the star with your own personal meaning.

Just a creative suggestion.
When people do not feel afraid,
and like you...
they are more willing to ACTUALLY listen to you
when the right opportunity arises.

Last edited:

Rayne

Meh
I agree that you should stand up for what you believe in, but I also know what people like this are like. Legally, they can't stop you from believing what you want to believe, but they can make your life a legal living hell. Just be careful what you say, and who you try to convince in a place like that. The most important thing I would like to stress is that make sure you are absolutely sure about Wicca, and that while your in that school, you're likely going to stay Wicca. Once you stand up and say that you're Wiccan, you can't go back to being the odd girl wearing the pentagram. They aren't going to forget.

kylina

They probably think you're a "satanist", or at the very least that you're going to hell. I doubt most of them will ever accept your religion, so you might as well keep it to yourself for the time being.

It may not be the right thing to do, but if I was a wiccan at a catholic high school, I'd never tell anyone.

so if you were a wiccan at a catholic highschool, and you got asked what you're religion is, would you lie about it? Just curious.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What would happen if you just told them that you were a heathen apostate?
What would happen if you convincingly defended your position?

Stellify

StarChild
Both in high school and in my super-Catholic University, I didn't lie about it, but I didn't shout it from the rooftops, either.

When someone asked me what my religion was, I would often tell them that I was a theist, but didn't consider myself Christian. They would usually ask me why, and I said that, even though I shared some values with Christianity, there were many parts of the religion that I simply did not agree with.

For most Christian/RC people, the reassurance that I believed in SOMETHING, along with following good values, was enough to satisfy their curiosity.

For others, they would continue to want to know more about what I believed. If it was someone I didn't know, or someone who seemed like they would be disrespectful about it, I simply told them that I preferred not to discuss my religion because it's very private to me, and religion tends to be a touchy subject with most people.

If it was a friend who I knew was genuinely curious, wouldn't judge or be disrespectful, and who would actually listen to my explanation, then I would usually go on to explain things to them.

This has worked rather well for me, because my close friends were informed, but those that would bring unnecessary negativity into my life were kept out of my business.

Also, as far as your pentagram goes...I bought a really lovely piece from a jewelry maker I used to work for. Many people just think it's a pretty star, but most Wiccans and other Pagans know exactly why I wear it lol. It's been a wonderful way to connect with like-minded people without starting rumors or getting harassed by the more "mainstream" crowd.

I've found that pentacles, however, are much harder to make blend in....

The design is a lot like this, but it's in sterling silver. Really a gorgeous necklace.

Altar_Knot2.jpg

If your jewelry choice is causing problems, you could also try going with a spiral triskele or triquetra jewelry piece. Those are really easy to find and very beautiful.

Good luck :D I know it can be hard.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Being that it is a Catholic school I wouldn't advertise. That's not much different than going to one of their churches while wearing a pentacle. While they should be good Christians and welcome you in, that is not how the modern Christian thinks. They see it as a battle to make you one of them. They also will most likely, and wrongly, see it as a symbol of Satan instead of for its true meaning. They will be mean, rude, and inappropriate yet they will sleep just fine because they will think they are doing so for their God. Until you can leave that school I would wear symbols that are not so "in their face". You shouldn't have to, but it would be in your best interests for now. Maybe something that represents your God/Goddess? If you have not chosen or been chosen by a particular deity then something celestial like a sun or moon being worn close to your heart would be great. If you are into gemstone magick then a wand pendant would be a good alternative too. Again, the only reason I would consider a temporary change is because you are in their house.