• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I convert to Sikhism?

ronki23

The philosophy and core beliefs of Sikhi and Hinduism are the same:

- Dharma

But the one difference is that Sikhs help all faiths, not just Sikhs. I like this.

I would also like Anand Karaj so I'd convert for that.

rocala

@ronki23 I cannot comment on the religious aspects of your post but as a lifelong resident of East London I would like to comment on the Sikh people.

I have known and lived among Sikhs since the late 1950's and can say without doubt, that in my experience a more decent, helpful, hard working, courageous community never existed.

Typically, as they rarely cause any fuss, they do not get the credit that they richly deserve.

Best wishes to you in your chosen path.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Is conversion even a thing within the Dharmic sphere?
Just introduce yourself to your local Sikh community and start being involved. I'm sure they'll show you the ropes.
My family often wanders into Gurdwaras and their Sikh brethren wanders into our temples. In truth I find much bleeding at the sides, so to speak.

Unguru

I am a Sikh nice to meet you
The philosophy and core beliefs of Sikhi and Hinduism are the same:

- Dharma

But the one difference is that Sikhs help all faiths, not just Sikhs. I like this.

I would also like Anand Karaj so I'd convert for that.

Hi, late reply but good to hear!

Have you read the Sri Guru Granth Sahib? it's our main scripture. Daily prayer and practice is also the next best thing.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Sikhs have a proper conversion ceremony, 'Amrit chakhna' (tasting the nectar), and the convert is expected to adopt the 5 k's (Not to cut hair, keep a comb, keep a dagger or sword, wear an iron bangle, and wear the undergarment).

I have not read Sri Gurugranth Sahib except in snippets. But the religious thought in Sikhism and Hinduism is so close that I do not feel the need to read it. I take Sri Guru Nanak Sahib ji as a foremost expounder of Upanishadic thoughts.

Unguru

Sikhs have a proper conversion ceremony, 'Amrit chakhna' (tasting the nectar), and the convert is expected to adopt the 5 k's (Not to cut hair, keep a comb, keep a dagger or sword, wear an iron bangle, and wear the undergarment).

I have not read Sri Gurugranth Sahib except in snippets. But the religious thought in Sikhism and Hinduism is so close that I do not feel the need to read it. I take Sri Guru Nanak Sahib ji as a foremost expounder of Upanishadic thoughts.

You are not a Sikh, stop spreading your Hindu Vedanta over here. You have your own DIR.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
**MOD POST**

This is the Sikhism DIR. Posts by those that do not identify as Sikh that are not respectful questions are subject to moderation under Rule 10.
10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there. The staff more strictly moderate Rule 10 violations where there is some other rule violation involved, such as preaching in a DIR or trolling a political forum a member doesn't belong to. More benign violations may be subject to informal reminders or moving threads to the appropriate location.

ronki23

The only thing stopping my converting to Sikhism is my acceptance of Jesus Christ. I've been debating whether Hindu deities are allowed in Sikhism but Jesus is another matter. Maybe it's easier staying Hindu

Unguru

If you're a Sikh why is Ganesh your avatar?

I like Ganesh, he's cute.

The only thing stopping my converting to Sikhism is my acceptance of Jesus Christ. I've been debating whether Hindu deities are allowed in Sikhism but Jesus is another matter. Maybe it's easier staying Hindu

What? do you follow Jesus in like a Bhakti way?

ManSinha

Since most of what we know as the Hindu religious texts pre date even the OT - there is no mention of Jesus in them. You want Jesus - you can have him as your Ishta Deva or personal god.

Guru Gobind Singh makes it clear "Na putray Na pautray Na satray Na mitray" - IOW no son / no grandson / no friends / no enemies

Hence Sikhism does not IMO reconcile with the Christian belief of "literal son of god" - the divine as we know it is above all of that and all of us are the children of the divine - no one more special than the other