• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do I believe?

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
The first thing to come up is why do you have this need and what is a god.

If you ask me I would say the existence or nonexistence of gods are strongly irrelevant. I hold fast and stern to the notion that all gods are different and have nothing to do with each other. Some are illogical, some are inconsistent and many are flat out worthless and do not give peace to the human soul.

Gods as concepts are very dangerous as they ordain insanity into the otherwise sane. Are you wishing to find a comforting feeling from a god or are you wishing to seem normal in the otherwise abnormal world?

I do not know what your desires are but religion, theism and atheism are very futile. They are both hyper inflated and full of undesirable claims. What you need to do is position yourself so that you understand what you beliefs are intellectually and find your stance on matters like the existence of god and if it is reasonable.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm new and not sure if I posted in the right place if not I'm sorry.

I want to believe so bad! I want and need god in my life.

I'm skeptical sometimes bc some of religion seems like a tall tale based on geography.

How do I find faith? What justifies stuff like creation of mankind?
I should mention one of our forum rules is 'No proselytizing', which also means you should try not to ask people to convert you. Mainly this site is for religious people to talk about ideas, maybe debate some. Its not a conversion kind of place.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

I'm skeptical sometimes bc some of religion seems like a tall tale based on geography.

Jumping around a bit, religion contains tall tales based on geography so your skepticism is warranted.

I can't answer the question about finding faith because faith found me. One day the question you are asking became important to me and after a bit my heart 'smelled a perfume' that it had never 'smelled' before to use metaphor. My mind focused on the question of meaning - was the universe full of meaning or not.

At some point I realized that religion can help or hinder the search for Truth/Love/Joy which some label as God but that scriptural literalism was often a hindrance.

I think this quote from Rumi sums up what I've been trying to say “Let the beauty we love be what we do. There are hundreds of ways to kneel and kiss the ground.”

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

welcome.

we need an imminent god. not one separated from us as you obviously feel and many do.

we need love and have the power to love. this is divine above all things.

1 John 4:8
The person who does not love does not know God, because God is love.

the power given in friendship is oneness. the kingdom of Love, of God, is within you.

heaven is a state of love and you are a divine being. don't sell yourself short on faith to be someone's friend.

friendship is two bodies being of one mind. mencius.

Mrpasserby

Do not just Believe 'Become', I am Sufficient.
'If I disbelieve mankind then what is there ? What if god gives us the knowledge of only what he considers necessary to know.'
Cody 123,
In my experience: Finding the creator within us is what it is all about, the formalized gods/goddess are examples of individuals who have made the transition from children looking outward for support, into gods/goddess focusing inward to create their own support. :)

DavidFirth

If you feel like you want and need God in your life, why don't you just ask Him to come into your life if He really exists? You can try asking Him for guidance in making your decision.

To find faith you will need to search for the truth. I believe all who search for the truth with a sincere heart will find it.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Religion is faulty, it is man made. God is above such things, imo.
ln saying that there are literally hundreds of religions out there, not including the differing branching sects. I'm sure you could find one that suits you, if that is your desire.

InChrist

Free4ever

Would you rather have faith in religion or seek to know and believe in the one true Creator God, if there is one?

arthra

Baha'i
I want to believe so bad! I want and need god in my life. I'm skeptical sometimes bc some of religion seems like a tall tale based on geography.

Cody...

Welcome to the Forum!
"Wanting" to believe is a good thing I think... but to me that "wanting" energy should be directed in seeking... You'll learn a lot and be able to discern more truths and that's a very good thing! I applaud your energy and hope you'll in time be in a much stronger place where you will know more and be stronger in your belief.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Look within your own heart and not within some dusty tomes.

But the only authentic religions are ones from old dusty tomes. How is my religion going to look cool and hip if it doesn't come from a decrepit mass-murdering psychopath?

You are taking all the fun out of religion buddy! The world needs a new violent religion to balance out the Christians and Muslim bruh.

. . . on second thought why not create your own dusty tome? That's even better :D

Cody123

Cody...

Welcome to the Forum!
"Wanting" to believe is a good thing I think... but to me that "wanting" energy should be directed in seeking... You'll learn a lot and be able to discern more truths and that's a very good thing! I applaud your energy and hope you'll in time be in a much stronger place where you will know more and be stronger in your belief.

I've been seeking in every way and form but never found answers. All I've asked for is guidence and for him to show me the way.

Yet I feel ignored and neglected after years of searching

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But the only authentic religions are ones from old dusty tomes. How is my religion going to look cool and hip if it doesn't come from a decrepit mass-murdering psychopath?

You are taking all the fun out of religion buddy! The world needs a new violent religion to balance out the Christians and Muslim bruh.

. . . on second thought why not create your own dusty tome? That's even better :D
As sage Madonna said:

Traveling down this road
Watching the signs as I go
I think I'll follow the sun
Isn't everyone just
Traveling down their own road
Watching the signs as they go
I think I'll follow my heart
It's a very good place to start

:p

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I've been seeking in every way and form but never found answers. All I've asked for is guidence and for him to show me the way.

Yet I feel ignored and neglected after years of searching
Would you like resources? Theological discussion? To ask questions of those practicing?
I'm sure a lot of us here would like to help you out. It's just that we can only offer random advice without knowing what it is that would help you along.

Cody123

Would you like resources? Theological discussion? To ask questions of those practicing?
I'm sure a lot of us here would like to help you out. It's just that we can only offer random advice without knowing what it is that would help you along.

I want to know how people get so close with God. I want that same life changing faith.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I want to know how people get so close with God. I want that same life changing faith.
Speaking for myself, my Goddess chose me. She spoke to me. She does this even when I'm not consciously looking for Her. I went away from Her before but She called me back. She's not an easy Goddess to follow and one just doesn't decide to worship Her out of the blue (or black, in Her case). She's not going to coddle you. You'll be exposed to and must accept the totality of existence, especially the things we deem revolting, disturbing or "evil". Most people will not be able to accept this and I would not recommend Her to those just starting on a spiritual path. Probably better to start with a lighter deity. Lol.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
That depends on a lot of factors and is different for everyone. Especially across different religions. Sometimes "God" speaks to people. Some find God in the nature around them. Some go to a place of worship and are consumed by the energy there. Some actively seek to communicate with God and some wish to know God through scripture. Some use....."helpers" substances that alters the mind in order to I guess break through human barriers in order to better know the divine. It depends on how you view god and our relationship with God.

But these things don't happen organically really nor are they spontaneous for the most part. (Sometimes it is. You get people hitting rock bottom or with near death experiences suddenly "finding God.") You have to engage in something. A festival, a ritual, prayer, meditation, something man. Or follow an instinct or a pull from within towards whatever it is you're drawn to. There are plenty of interesting pathways to traverse in order to reach God, just have to fine one that is agreeable to you. Or even just a philosophy.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

Unfortunately, nowadays, things are not quite as easy as to getting religious things taught as I think they were when I was young. Even finding a teacher is a matter of touch and go. I am an old time Christian, meat and potatoes type. A few days I went into a newly opened church I was passing in town. Just to see what it was and be friendly. The guy, pastor, whatever, wanted to pray for me; I didn't object, but when he put his hand on my head and maybe held my hand while praying loudly (as if God is deaf)- ! That turned me off, no matter what kind of message he might have had. A humble quiet prayer without touching, no touch, no touch - is what would have impressed me.

The thing is believing in God is having a relationship with him, that means also obedience. It is the same thing in a sense as having a relationship with your parents, family. With God, we thank him for the things we receive, food, a nice day, good experiences, and we ask for help with our problems.