• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do heritable traits of biological populations change over time?

firedragon

Veteran Member

No one knows for sure, and if anyone says they are absolutely sure they dont understand it.

The most popular theory is Darwins theory and now Darwins theory has developed into more sophistication. I am no evolutionary biologist so I can be corrected easily.

Darwin theorised that species that were best adapted to their environments would pass their traits on to offspring. Species that could not adapt as quickly, however, would not pass on their traits.

Peace.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what you are asking. At one level this could be a question about the basic Darwinian variation+natural selection. I presume not, though, as I'm sure you understand the principle of that.

Or is it about other, non-Darwinian, processes, such as genetic drift?

danieldemol

Premium Member
No one knows for sure, and if anyone says they are absolutely sure they dont understand it.

The most popular theory is Darwins theory and now Darwins theory has developed into more sophistication. I am no evolutionary biologist so I can be corrected easily.

Darwin theorised that species that were best adapted to their environments would pass their traits on to offspring. Species that could not adapt as quickly, however, would not pass on their traits.

Peace.
Are you saying no one knows with 100percent certainty? Because I could agree with that, but I don't see any reason why a person can't have a high degree of confidence in the truth of the theory of natural selection and understand it well.

Anyhow what is it that produces the divergent traits that the environment acts upon in your opinion?

firedragon

Veteran Member
but I don't see any reason why a person can't have a high degree of confidence in the truth of the theory of natural selection and understand it well.

Great.

Anyhow what is it that produces the divergent traits that the environment acts upon in your opinion?

I have no opinion, as I said I am no evolutionary biologist and I have not done any experiments or studied the necessary philosophical curricula to make that kind of opinion.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm not sure what you are asking. At one level this could be a question about the basic Darwinian variation+natural selection. I presume not, though, as I'm sure you understand the principle of that.

Or is it about other, non-Darwinian, processes, such as genetic drift?
I had asking what causes the variation in mind.

It is ok if it is just repeating what I already know, I was trying to determine if @firedragon agrees with the process as it is understood by scientists or not.

exchemist

Veteran Member

It is ok if it is just repeating what I already know, I was trying to determine if @firedragon agrees with the process as it is understood by scientists or not.
Ah, OK. I suppose my answer to what causes the variation would be a combination of sexual reproduction, which continually makes new mixtures of genes, and mutations, which change bits and pieces at random.

firedragon

Veteran Member

What do you mean "agrees with the process as it is understood by scientists or not"? What is your actual question? What are you really after?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I have no opinion, as I said I am no evolutionary biologist and I have not done any experiments or studied the necessary philosophical curricula to make that kind of opinion.
What is it that holds you back from studying the basic causes of variation in traits?

You could probably read about them in a Wikipedia article then ask what observations/experiments demonstrate their occurrence to the knowledgeable biologists we are lucky enough to have right here on RF.

There is no rush of course, it just seems like general knowledge to people who are familiar with evolution to me. So I think why not take the time to gather an informed opinion on it?

firedragon

Veteran Member
What is it that holds you back from studying the basic causes of variation in traits?

Hey. You asked for my opinion, so now you have changed it to "studying the basic.....".

Whats your true goal with that? Whats your agenda? ;)

You could probably read about them in a Wikipedia article then ask what observations/experiments demonstrate their occurrence to the knowledgeable biologists we are lucky enough to have right here on RF.

There is no rush of course, it just seems like general knowledge to people who are familiar with evolution to me. So I think why not take the time to gather an informed opinion on it?

I am glad you are doing the studying from wikipedia. And thanks for the most gracious advice. Appreciated.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Hey. You asked for my opinion, so now you have changed it to "studying the basic.....".

Whats your true goal with that? Whats your agenda? ;)
I asked for your opinion till I learned you had none on it, when I learned that it became useful to suggest study.

My true goal or agenda is that if you ever come across someone at the mosque or wherever you like to associate with people teaching ID or any other non-scientific variations on evolution you would be empowered to stand up for truth and refute them.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I asked for your opinion till I learned you had none on it, when I learned that it became useful to suggest study.

I dont think just studying from wikipedia like you so bigly suggested like trump would say, would be enough to form opinions on such a huge scientific matter. If that is the level you think is good for you, maybe it is you who should study something to know that its not good enough. Darwin didnt come up with his theory reading a page. And the scientists and philosophers of the 21st century who make opinions on how evolution took place are not studying from a wikipedia page. There is more to it than just reading some page. You telling someone to make an opinion how evolution occurs, then suggesting to read a wikipedia page is the most lame thing I have heard in my life.

Thats the end of it. Have a great day.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I dont think just studying from wikipedia like you so bigly suggested like trump would say, would be enough to form opinions on such a huge scientific matter. If that is the level you think is good for you, maybe it is you who should study something to know that its not good enough. Darwin didnt come up with his theory reading a page. And the scientists and philosophers of the 21st century who make opinions on how evolution took place are not studying from a wikipedia page. There is more to it than just reading some page. You telling someone to make an opinion how evolution occurs, then suggesting to read a wikipedia page is the most lame thing I have heard in my life.

Thats the end of it. Have a great day.
Einstein didn't come up with E=Mc^2 reading a wikipedia page either, but there is still a pretty good explanation and summary of it on wikipedia. I suggested wikipedia as a starting point in conjunction with asking experts, not as the be all and end all.

You'd be surprised at what you can learn from wikipedia if you are prepared to use it as a starting point for further enquiry.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Einstein didn't come up with E=Mc^2 reading a wikipedia page either, but there is still a pretty good explanation and summary of it on wikipedia.

So you want me to come to opinions about how gravity works, or if the spaceman exceeds the speed of light? Especially educating myself from Wikipedia following your advice?

Sorry mate. No way.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
So you want me to come to opinions about how gravity works, or if the spaceman exceeds the speed of light? Especially educating myself from Wikipedia following your advice?

Sorry mate. No way.
Use another source then.

You must admit, it's actually kind of silly that you create threads to bicker about creationism and evolution, while not even being able to give the most basic definition of both in clear and unambiguous wording..........

Remember why @danieldemol created this thread in the first place?
It started with you offering a definition for "evolution" which would also cover the pseudo-scientific nonsense from con-men like cdesign proponentsists .

It was kind of a red flag for him, and rightfully so.
And when pressed to take a clear stance, you do what you always do. You start with partypooping, conversation-stopping one liners like "cheers" and "great" and other such passive aggressive nonsense.

And then in this thread, again refusing to take a clear and unambiguous stance, you just play dumb. As if you have never heard of mutation, genetic variation, natural selection,...

Off course you won't be reading this because I guess you still have me on ignore for some reason. :rolleyes:

danieldemol

Premium Member

Sorry mate. No way.
I did not ask you to come to opinions on those things, so I have no idea why you are offering strawmen to me.

The causes of variation aren't some giant complex hard to swallow idea that isn't plainly spelled out in black and white on Wikipedia.

It is straightforward, like reading about a formula then asking experts what observations demonstrate it to be true.

Of course if you are bias against Wikipedia for some strange reason you can use another source in addition to questioning the experts. There are plenty of good online sources explaining the causes of variation.

In my opinion.