• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do current events line up with OT prophecy?

2ndpillar

The following note is one perspective on how current events line up with prophecy, what are others?

The stock market follows the 7 year of rest cycle of the OT, whereas all debts were to be wiped out every 7th year, with a 7x7 year, the 49th year being historically the greatest dip in the stock market. That 7 x 7 year cycle started with the Jewish New Year, Mid September 2015. It being the 7 x 7th year, the following year should be a doozy following the historical stock market trends. Such that it would exceed 2008.

As for world news, you will look to Psalms 83:2, "For behold, thine enemies make an uproar; and those who hate thee have exalted themselves. They make shrewd plans against they people, and conspire together against thy treasured ones. They have said, "Come, and let us wipe them out as a nation; That the name of Israel be remembered no more" For they have conspired with one mind; against thee do they make a covenant; the tents of Edom and the Ishmaelites; Moab, and Hagarites:" etc.

The 50th year in the cycle, year of Jubilee, following the 49th year, is the year that those who lost their land, get it returned. That historically would point to 1917 Balfour Declaration initiating the settlement of Palestine, and 1967, the 1967 Israel war and the occupation of all of Jerusalem. 2017 would be the next 50th year of Jubilee, where lands are returned. The next step is mapped in Joel 3:2, whereas "I will gather all the nations, and bring them down into the valley of Judges. Then I will enter into judgment with them there". Zechariah 14 points out that all the nations will gather against Jerusalem, and it will be "captured", and that then the nations will be struck by a plague, which description of such plague is almost word for word which can be found in the book Hiroshema, which described the conditions in Japan after the nuclear bomb exploded. At that time, "the wealth of all the surrounding nations will be gathered" (Zechariah 14:14). And all the families of the earth will go up to Jerusalem every year to worship the king, and will observe the feast of booths, or receive no rain. (Zech 14:16-19)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Hey, if we cherry-pick the scriptures, we can "prove" that Hitler and Stalin were only doing God's will by slaughtering people.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
The only prophet in the Old Testament that consistently predicted anything major is Daniel IMHO, I see us getting into the final chapter right now, the Persian Gulf wars succinctly described near the end of the previous chapter. While it predicts a major time of trouble such as the world has never seen, it does not predict annihilation as many presume, and ends quite hopefully with deliverance and seeming peace on earth.

2ndpillar

Hey, if we cherry-pick the scriptures, we can "prove" that Hitler and Stalin were only doing God's will by slaughtering people.

Dear metis,
Or we could prove that Nebuchadnezzar took Judah into captivity and destroyed Jerusalem, or that Assyria took Israel into captivity and sold them into slavery, all in line with God's Word.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
More fear mongering methinks. We "survived" September 2015 with all the "prophetic words of doom". We'll survive more to come.

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
Armageddon: the body is the horse that transports the soul. The soul's passions-- the blood-- reach up to the bridle: to a point at which they can be controlled.

Up to there, most everyone agrees.

The problem, obviously, is who takes the reins.

b.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
Sorry but large numbers of Christians don't believe Revelation is inspired, or can't make heads or tails of any of it, or third, don't agree with your interpretation. In short no one agrees on anything.

metis

Dear metis,
Or we could prove that Nebuchadnezzar took Judah into captivity and destroyed Jerusalem, or that Assyria took Israel into captivity and sold them into slavery, all in line with God's Word.
Yes, but that has nothing to do with what I posted because what I was suggesting was the taking verses out of their context to try and "prove" something different.

Last edited:

b.finton

In the Unity of Faith
Sorry but large numbers of Christians don't believe Revelation is inspired, or can't make heads or tails of any of it, or third, don't agree with your interpretation. In short no one agrees on anything.
... on the surface, where chaos prevails: within maya, some would say.

Some find veneers comfortable.

b.

2ndpillar

Yes, but that has nothing to do with what I posted because what I was suggesting was the taking verses out of their context to try and "prove" something different.

Dear metis,
You will have to be more specific. The 7th year of rest is every 7 years. The Jubilee year marches on in spite of what the Jewish Canaanite (Zechariah 14:21) merchants might hope. The valley of Judges/Jehoshaphat will come no matter what you might prefer. I am not sure which verse is out of context. Is it that no one is surrounding Israel planning their demise? If that is the problem, I suggest that you find a decent news channel and watch for a short period of time. Isaiah's prophecy is in reference to the future. Daniel's prophecy with respect to the "end of the age" is future. Prophecies tend to be futuristic, if not sometimes with local fulfillment as well as future fulfillment. Hosea's taking an adulteress, although local and timely, is in reference to the future actions of Israel. (Hosea 3)

metis

I'm 70 years of age, and I have heard or read a great many times about prophecies and the "rapture", and guess what-- we're still here. Jesus said he didn't know when the "end of times" would be, but I've heard one story after another about how some feel that they know because they can sit down with their Bible and know exactly how to correctly translate and interpret the supposed prophecies. Sorry, but I've been down this road many times before.

2ndpillar

I'm 70 years of age, and I have heard or read a great many times about prophecies and the "rapture", and guess what-- we're still here. Jesus said he didn't know when the "end of times" would be, but I've heard one story after another about how some feel that they know because they can sit down with their Bible and know exactly how to correctly translate and interpret the supposed prophecies. Sorry, but I've been down this road many times before.

Dear metis,
I did not speak of any "Rapture", which is simply a false narrative, taken out of text. The initial "gathering up", will be of the tares (Mt 13:30). That will be when the angels gather out the tares from the wheat. The tares are then thrown into the furnace of fire (Mt 13:42) I would assume that to be the 6th trump when "a third of mankind" were killed by fire, smoke, and brimstone/sulfur (sulfur smell of gunpowder). Keep in mind, that tares are weeds that look like wheat.

Last edited:

cambridge79

i love the definition i've read once about prophecies:

"a prophecy is like an arrow shot to a blank wall. Than somebody draws the bullseye around it"