• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians Know the Bible is Both Inspired by God and Inerrant?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
This should have been a sure giveaway to honest people that the writers of that Article were not being true.

Down to the original? LOL. Am I missing something?

I do not doubt that people might have heard from God and that eventually what they heard got written down. So, I believe there are true words of God in there somewhere.

We can not say if what was heard originally is what we have. That should be obvious. That it is not obvious to any of the 300 "noted evangelical scholars" is so weird as to make me think maybe there really isn't a true God.​
It says down to the words.
Meaning that every single word is inspired.
The rest of that sentence is "of the original", which seems to mean that ONLY the original writings of the words were inspired.
Which is rather problematic given there are no known surviving copies of the originals.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
The problem with that idea is that it is supposed to be the "Word of God".
That becomes false when the Bible is seen as fallible.
At that point there is nothing for Christians to rely on as truth.
Except that most Christians I know do not agree with the false dichotomy you present.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
For those who sometimes read things too literally I should have clarified:

"How do Some Christians Know the Bible is Both Inspired by God and Inerrant?"

I suspect the answer for that will vary from Christian to Christian with the most popular answer being something along the lines of God and or Jesus and or the Holy Spirit telling them in some way or another.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Your the second one that has said that to me.
My experience is different.
Please note that I am not speaking about any Christians other than the ones I personally know.
I do in fact know a Christian who claims that the KJV 1611 is the one true infallible inerrant Word of God.
So much so that he says that if the originals disagree with the KJV 1611, that the originals are to tossed out.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Very good question. Short and honest answer, No one really "knows", As it involves faith. (note; I am not saying that they are not inspired). I think a good, 'add to' question would be, 'who decided what books would be thrown away and which ones would be in the cannon of scripture?' There were apparently many that were not included for various reasons, and more that were not included in Bibles such as the King James. Aaaand others that are now available, such as the 'gospel of Thomas' and so on. Very good question.
I suspect you do not mean to, but you seem to be thinking that "Bible" and "scripture" are the same thing.

David1967

Premium Member
I suspect you do not mean to, but you seem to be thinking that "Bible" and "scripture" are the same thing.

I know what you mean. Most religions have "scripture", but since this thread is addressed to christians and their bible I have used the term interchangeable.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The proof of the pudding is in the eating---prove it.
I can prove it to people who can think outside their practiced pattern of thinking, like ordinary people.
I can't prove it to you.

Question. It appears that some people's minds can't be changed by God himself. How would you know if it was or was not God willing your mind to change? You wouldn't imo. Neither would anyone who trusts in his or her own understanding. It seems to me that God doesn't break trust and never has broken it.

I have told you that Matthew 28:19 was changed and I showed you the proof. You choose not to believe it. That is OK by me. I don't care much what you believe.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It says down to the words.
Meaning that every single word is inspired.
The rest of that sentence is "of the original", which seems to mean that ONLY the original writings of the words were inspired.
Which is rather problematic given there are no known surviving copies of the originals.
Thank you. I think I can see what you see.
We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its parts, down to the very words of the original, were given by divine inspiration.
We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all falsehood, fraud, or deceit.

The phrase "down to the very words" is redundant. Is it not?
The very words and all its parts mean the same thing or perhaps the whole of scripture and all its parts mean the same thing.

The people who agreed on those Articles of Faith are obviously not people of light because what they wrote is for confusing people. Matthew 5:16 Matthew 5:13

The two articles are fraught with redundancy. Who do they think they should be inspiring?

james bond

From "The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy"

[The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars, including . . . .]
source

Article VI: Plenary Verbal Inspiration
We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its parts, down to the very words of the original, were given by divine inspiration.

Article XII: Exhaustive Inerrancy
We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all falsehood, fraud, or deceit.
source

So how do they know? Is it explicitly stated so in the Bible, if so, where?

I ask because there are quite a few things in the Bible that one would not think the Christian god would inspire, nor are seemingly without error.

This is one of the deep meanings I learned recently from a lovely twenty year old woman named Autumn who has studied the Bible. It's because it expresses God's love.

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is one of the deep meanings I learned recently from a nineteen-twenty year old woman. It's because it expresses God's love.
It doesn't always express God's love.
Leviticus 20:23
Leviticus 26:30
Deuteronomy 20:13
Psalms 5:5-6
Psalms 10:3
Psalms 11:5
Psalms 53:5
Psalms 78:59
Psalms 106:4
Proverbs 6:16-19
Proverbs 22:14
Hosea 9:15
Zechariah 11:8
Malachi 1:3

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Bible teaches conditional love; something like people have for one another.

In our translated version of "God's Word" it says that if you don't stop doing the things that God hates, God will kill you. That is what some people are teaching about The God.

james bond

The Bible teaches conditional love; something like people have for one another.

In our translated version of "God's Word" it says that if you don't stop doing the things that God hates, God will kill you. That is what some people are teaching about The God.

I don't know how to reply to you because you believe His love is conditional and you quickly list the verses. If you believe it is unconditional, then you will see God's wisdom and that His message is basically a story of divine rescue. Jesus wants to save us if we let Him.

omega2xx

Let us assume that God cannot lie.
That merely means he is only responsible for what he meant by what he said.
NOT for what you think he said.

I have a written record of what He said. Can you prove what He is attributed to saying, He did not say?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't know how to reply to you because you believe His love is conditional and you quickly list the verses. If you believe it is unconditional, then you will see God's wisdom and that His message is basically a story of divine rescue. Jesus wants to save us if we let Him.
"If we let him" is a decision that takes work. So, is your opinion that people are saved by works?

I don't believe in an inerrant Bible. Someone said the Bible is about Love. I don't believe that.
Perfect love does not create problems for people to escape from. Does it?