• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How do Christians Know the Bible is Both Inspired by God and Inerrant?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No I haven't.
Have you learned anything here that you didn't know before you got here?
Why do you keep on saying that I have not shown you proof?

Disciple is a verb. You want it to be a noun, so it's a noun, according to you.

Human creatures wrote the Bible. YOU understand that they wrote, copied, and translated (and copied again and again) what God really means us to know so, even though you might think you do not lean on your own understanding, you certainly do lean on the understanding of every soul who had a hand in creating the Bible as we know it.

It is because you have inserted the word OWN at Proverbs 3:5. Everyone here should know you lean on THEIR (the Bible writers and scholars) understanding and you do not call it YOUR understanding because your Bible says, "lean not on your own understanding". Am I right?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Did you quote the right verse? Wise in that verse has nothing to do with faith.
Yes, that was my point. You said, "God's way is by faith alone", and I shared a scripture which seems to prove that is not the truth.
God's way is by faith, hope, love and WISDOM.

omega2xx

Have you learned anything here that you didn't know before you got here?
Why do you keep on saying that I have not shown you proof?

Not only have you not shown any p;roof, much of what you are selling is snake oil

Disciple is a verb. You want it to be a noun, so it's a noun, according to you

You need a better dictionary.

Human creatures wrote the Bible. YOU understand that they wrote, copied, and translated (and copied again and again) what God really means us to know so, even though you might think you do not lean on your own understanding, you certainly do lean on the understanding of every soul who had a hand in creating the Bible as we know it.

I Tim 3:16 tells you what happened.

It is because you have inserted the word OWN at Proverbs 3:5.
You need a better translation.

Everyone here should know you lean on THEIR (the Bible writers and scholars) understanding and you do not call it YOUR understanding because your Bible says, "lean not on your own understanding". Am I right?

Not even close.

ronandcarol

Premium Member
I guess I will start by asking you how you know it is not? Anyway, ll Timothy 3:16 says it all for me. It is the inspired word of God and it is very suitable for training and teaching, and living our lives by! It will make your life BETTER, if you read it and study it and believe it.

ronandcarol

omega2xx

Yes, that was my point. You said, "God's way is by faith alone", and I shared a scripture which seems to prove that is not the truth.
God's way is by faith, hope, love and WISDOM.

Try this---Without faith it is impossible to please God---Heb 11:6

None of the things you mentioned are any value without faith in God.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I guess I will start by asking you how you know it is not? Anyway, ll Timothy 3:16 says it all for me. It is the inspired word of God and it is very suitable for training and teaching, and living our lives by! It will make your life BETTER, if you read it and study it and believe it.

ronandcarol
Do you not realize that 2 Timothy 3:16 was written about the HEBREW SCRIPTURES????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Try this---Without faith it is impossible to please God---Heb 11:6

None of the things you mentioned are any value without faith in God.
Unbelievable! YOU SAID ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are not propagating love at all imo. Quite the opposite, really!

Adamski

Because Jesus started a church the Roman Catholic Church that wrote the bible and decided what books belong in it

Jesus gave the apostles he authority and today Jesus gives the pope and the bishops authority

Skwim

Veteran Member
First of all, when two parties are in a discussion and one makes a claim that the other disputes, the one who makes the claim typically has a burden of proof to justify or substantiate that claim. The claim that's been made here is that the Bible is both inspired by god and inerrant. Therefore it's up to those who make or support this claim to defend it.

Secondly, I'm not asking if it's true or not. All I'm asking is how do Christians know what they're claiming?

As for ll Timothy 3:16 saying the scriptures are inspired by god, my Bible says:

16 Everything in the Scriptures is God’s Word. All of it is useful for teaching and helping people and for correcting them and showing them how to live.​

QuestioningMind

I don't think they're saying the people who wrote it are perfect, but the words they wrote were perfect.

You're making sweeping statements. People are not perfect, but we strive for perfection and sometimes achieve it (but usually we don't). It's one of the evidence for God. Adam and Eve were perfect, but they were not able to keep their perfection.

Clearly Adam and Eve were NOT created perfectly. By definition a PERFECT being is incapable of making mistakes, yet Adam and Eve made the mistake of eating from the tree of knowledge, so obviously they were flawed beings. You can't have it both ways.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Clearly Adam and Eve were NOT created perfectly. By definition a PERFECT being is incapable of making mistakes, yet Adam and Eve made the mistake of eating from the tree of knowledge, so obviously they were flawed beings. You can't have it both ways.
You assume the eating from the tree was a mistake...

idav

Being
Premium Member
From "The Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy"

[The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars, including . . . .]
source

Article VI: Plenary Verbal Inspiration
We affirm that the whole of Scripture and all its parts, down to the very words of the original, were given by divine inspiration.

Article XII: Exhaustive Inerrancy
We affirm that Scripture in its entirety is inerrant, being free from all falsehood, fraud, or deceit.
source

So how do they know? Is it explicitly stated so in the Bible, if so, where?

I ask because there are quite a few things in the Bible that one would not think the Christian god would inspire, nor are seemingly without error.

There are a couple things to consider. Whether to believe if the bible is gods word for word, or that the bible is inspired enough for salvation purposes. One can see the bible as literal or metaphor but with enough importance that it still matters. There are plenty of passages that suggest gods word is important but the books are merely self affirming in that respect. It is a faith thing to believe the bible is necessary or even of importance.